Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 01:24 PM

2,564 posts, read 1,596,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I am a hunter, and I own a shotgun. I have a hard time understanding exactly how her owning a gun would have prevented this. Maybe it would have. Maybe not.

I don't keep my shotgun loaded, and it is locked up with a cable lock through the action. Realistically, there is no way I could unlock it and load it in time to use it against an intruder.

To keep it unlocked, and loaded, I believe, would be irresponsible in a house with children.
I agree with you on this regard, loaded guns around children have tragic statistics. It's a hard call when there are children in the home. About the only thing that may have worked in this situation is a good home alarm system, bolted doors, etc. Did the Connecticut family have these, I wonder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 02:31 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Why not train your children better,it is more troublesome I guess...

Didn't you get the memo....Personal RESPONSIBILITY went out the window years ago!

Old 09-17-2010, 02:37 PM

296 posts, read 228,522 times
There are inexpensive safeboxes for handguns...
Children should not be a negative factor in arming & self defence...

USA is the only country where people are not depriverd of the right to self defence.
A right unexercised is a right lost...

Old 09-17-2010, 09:36 PM

126 posts, read 224,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
I agree with you on this regard, loaded guns around children have tragic statistics. It's a hard call when there are children in the home. About the only thing that may have worked in this situation is a good home alarm system, bolted doors, etc. Did the Connecticut family have these, I wonder?
i've been going to our local indoor range weekly for the past few months and have noticed many dad's teaching their 8-10 year old daughters how to shoot handguns (.22lr). also, i've noticed a good number of elderly being instructed on first time gun users.

my observation, kids who have shot guns quickly find out that they are not toys and will treat it accordingly. kids that were on the news that played with guns were never properly trained.

unfortunately, accidental gun death is a consequence of human error. it may not be as common as children killed by drunk drivers, but one must weigh the benefits vs the dangers of owning a firearm in a home with children. i'm glad we can make those decisions as law abiding adults and not have the government make those choices for us. it would really suck if only law enforcement was allowed to drive vehicles and the masses can only use public transportation. that would reduce if not eliminate child mortality by vehicle.

irresponsible parents are just that. their bad choices affects every other parent, therefore, there is a big debate on gun ownership with kids.

sorry for going off topic...

-a|ex

Old 09-18-2010, 08:33 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Just a friendly suggestion, one gun owner to another, lose the sign. On the off chance the you shot an innocent person or even a guilty one, you really don't need that sign showing up in a civil court proceeding.
And the flip side to it is that the person who enters my home illegally, ignoring clear boundaries, alarms and the warning posted clearly on the outside cannot expect that they will meet no resistance once inside. No one ends up inside the house of another "innocently", particularly in the dark of night.

I really don't want to ever shoot someone. I want them the see the warnings and say "Let's find an easier one, maybe next door or the next block." But if they are foolish enough to come in, I guarantee there will be one story to tell when the police show up to fill out their reports - "I felt my life was in danger, officer. He said he would kill me!" <keep repeating>

Old 09-18-2010, 10:14 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
And how are they going to break into my house without the dogs barking, walk through the house and up to my bedroom, in the 5 seconds it would take me to get my handgun out of the gun safe (press-finger code) and aim it at the door?

I don't care if they have a machine gun: a well-aimed, reliable revolver pointed at the door from my position behind the bed and braced against it, would win every time.

It's not about firepower. It's about having a place to aim, and being comfortable putting a bullet in that place. The criminal has to come through the door. He has no idea where I am in the room, even if he's scouted the entire house previously (and believe me, I'd know).

Frankly, no matter what the situation, any criminal would MUCH rather the victim be unarmed and afraid of guns.
SOunds like they don't have to get in to set your house on fire.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
In Texas we have the castle law. Anyone who is not armed i their house is crazy.
I don't need a gun to solve my problems.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:19 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't need a gun to solve my problems.
True. You can always opt to just swallow a bunch of pills.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
True. You can always opt to just swallow a bunch of pills.
How would that help against other people? Let me put it this way, it's always been the other guy that found himself laying on the ground.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:37 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
How would that help against other people?
Went right over your head.

Quote:
Let me put it this way, it's always been the other guy that found himself laying on the ground.
Chuck? Is that you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies