Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 07:40 PM

406 posts, read 495,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Plus AZ is loaded with elderly snowbirds. I've seen some real interesting manuvers out there.
A lot of snowbirds don't have a license in Arizona, although you are required to they don't.

If you really want to see something screwy you should see all the golf carts on the streets. You are required to have a drivers license for the golf cart, you even need to get plates for it. Snowbirds driving a golf cart that goes 35 mph's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 07:43 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,517,717 times
Incredible the OP draws a conclusion and an opinion based on one incident.

I could tell you dozens of times when young people drive like idiots also.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:45 PM

406 posts, read 495,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post

Insurance rates for young people are really high for a reason.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:48 PM

And the point is they also drive live idiots. It is not age related.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:15 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Sure it is. Many old people drive dangerously as well.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Well when you look at facts;no insurer would actually insure anyone under 25 if they were not require to by state laws.That say it all really.

Last edited by texdav; 09-16-2010 at 09:19 PM..

Old 09-16-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambini View Post
Insurance rates for young people are really high for a reason.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Sure it is. Many old people drive dangerously as well.

so now that it is determined people of all ages drive bad, pay lots for insurance, whats the answer. Maybe a competency test for driving?

Old 09-17-2010, 12:45 AM

527 posts, read 467,697 times
I think that everyone should have to take a written test, vision test and road test every year- it would get many drivers off the road-raise the fees on licenses too to pay for the added manhours/additional hiring for the state emplyees it would take to do this additional testing-autos are dangerous machines that are just far too easy to acquire and drive-I would rather have stricter regulation of autos than stricter regulation of guns.Anyone that gets a DUI never drives again-reach a certain number of accidents-you wouldnt drive again-cause a major accident you wont drive again, etc. pretty harsh and not realistic in todays world, but that is what I would do-also increase public transportation- try to eliminate the need to drive so much-i realize that this is different in rural areas where public transportation is not a reality-

Old 09-17-2010, 01:22 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times
Everyone complains about bad drivers be they old, young, stoned, distracted or boozed out. Nobody asks what if they became unable to drive or lost that privelege? What would it be like if you lost the ability to go shoping, go to he bank, get to work, go see a movie etc.. What would it be like to be reduced to a world all within walking distance of your house? Would you worry about your safety as a pedestrian or would you worry about being a target for strong armed robbery by some punk or worse. If you are lucky to have a mass transit system how would life change if it now took more than an hour to make a trip that one might have taken 15-20 minutes by car. and Cab fares. What if every trip you took cost 20-30 dollars each trip? So this is the flip side of the golden years and an uncaring society that has a deserved reputation for thaughtlessness.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:00 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,596,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
So I am sitting in the drive-thru at the local DQ earlier today and after I order, I pull up and stop behind the car in front of me also waiting. An old lady pulls in the line orders and pulls forward. The car in front of my leaves and I pull up. The old lady behind me guns it and smacks into my rear bumper. She didn't do any damage other than boiling my blood and startling me because I didn't figure someone rear-ending me in a drive-thru. I look in the rear-view mirror and notice that she can barely see out of the windshield and of course she has her 10-inch handicap tag hanging on the mirror.

I think EVERYONE above 65 should take a written exam, driving test and eye test YEARLY if they want to drive. I don't know the statistics, but seniors are as dangerous (in my opinion) as teen drivers. And in some ways, worse. There is no excuse for what happened today.
Write this day down in history, I am agreeing with you! The societal problem is though, there is not enough adequate public transportation for that many senior citizens on fixed incomes. Before we strip them of their driving privileges (because it IS a privilege, not a right) and demand yearly driving exams for senior citizens, we have to revamp all of society's transportation infrastructure first.

Of course I speak from experience too, driving with my Dad at night is like Mr Toad's Wild Ride. I finally talked him into going to his Opthamologist
(not optometrist) at the VA, after I was screaming that he was heading towards an island in the road on a dark nite, after church supper. So he made an appointment, and shock of shocks, he has night blindness, and now uses prescribed eyedrops and avoids nite driving. I take the wheel when I am with him at nite
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies