Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 01:32 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,075,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
When you wish to make your post not so condescending get back to me.
Why would I want to make my post "not so condescending" when my deliberate intention is to condescend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex
The word is either offensive or its not
Sorry, the real world demonstrates pretty clearly that this is not true. Have you not been reading the thread?

Quote:
You dont get to appoint yourself the person that gets to decide when it is or isnt.
I certainly do for me. And sometimes I find the word offensive, and sometimes I do not.

I afford that same latitude to everybody else as well, and give them the further latitude to be offended when I am not and vice versa.

Quote:
Have a nice day
I almost always do. I'm a liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 01:33 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
[

As long as some can say it without repercussions,
anybody should be able to say it. Why are some
more 'special' than others?

PC is BS!

Would you call the president, Mr. President? or "Yo, Prez?"

Would you introduce yourself politely to Mr. Shumaker, the company vice president, or would you say "Sup Tom, how's them boyz hangin?"

Honorific - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Special situations abound in normal conversation.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
What word can I say, and you can't?
Again, we can't answer that question. We don't really know who you are.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:38 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
That very much is true. In the other thread about Dr laura democrats said that a white person using this word at all makes someone a racist. So Bill Maher by that standard is a racist because he is white and used it. Case closed

Either the word is offensive or its not. Either using it makes someone a racist or it doesnt. It is said to be this highly offensive word and I agree it is.
Sorry you cant claim that its such an offensive word that white people cant use it without being racist but then say oh its ok if its used in this manner. Sorry you are never going to end the use of the word or racism long as you are making excuses for the word being used.

Because then what you have is someone thinking they can decide when its offensive and when its not and that standard is going to be different for everyone. Then you are always going to be having this discussion and appearing to be a hypocrite
Well I didn't say anything in that thread because as I previously stated, I don't give a damn what Dr. Laura says. We both know it's not as cut and dry as you would like to make it out to be. Keep pretending not to know the difference...I already told you that I have heard White people use it without being offensive and that I have heard Black people use it offensively. Ever heard the saying, "It's not what you say, it's how you say it?"

Clearly you are not using logic...for some people, everything is secondary to partisanism. I have never called Dr. Laura a racist and her resignation was her choice. Just as you don't represent all Conservatives (thank God), I do not represent all Liberals. You have lost all sense of rationality in a lame attempt to prove a moot point. Use of the word n***er is not what causes racism, it's the racist. You know the difference.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:46 PM

720 posts, read 691,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Why would I want to make my post "not so condescending" when my deliberate intention is to condescend?

Thats funny...Wonder if the mods here will edit your personal attacks, like they do to others?

Just curious..

Old 09-17-2010, 01:47 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Again, we can't answer that question. We don't really know who you are.
Let's go with White Christian Hetero-sexual Conservative,
be careful, PC you know.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:01 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
So many people defending the use of the word in a proper context?!?!?

Strangely enough, that was exactly what the Dr. was arguing for... Some can use the word while others can't. In this case both were white... but in the proper context!?!?

What did Dr. Laura say on-air? Audio and transcript of her “N” word tirade and apology : starcasm.net

Last edited by BigJon3475; 09-17-2010 at 02:15 PM..

Old 09-17-2010, 02:03 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
So many people defending the use of the word in a proper context?!?!?

Strangely enough, that was exactly what the Dr. was arguing for... Some can use the word while others can't In this case both were white... but in the proper context!?!?

What did Dr. Laura say on-air? Audio and transcript of her “N” word tirade and apology : starcasm.net
Strangely enough, that's why several of us "liberals" said Dr Laura wasn't being racist during her tirade. Insensitive and rude. But not racist.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:14 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,845,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Well I didn't say anything in that thread because as I previously stated, I don't give a damn what Dr. Laura says. We both know it's not as cut and dry as you would like to make it out to be. Keep pretending not to know the difference...I already told you that I have heard White people use it without being offensive and that I have heard Black people use it offensively. Ever heard the saying, "It's not what you say, it's how you say it?"

Clearly you are not using logic...for some people, everything is secondary to partisanism. I have never called Dr. Laura a racist and her resignation was her choice. Just as you don't represent all Conservatives (thank God), I do not represent all Liberals. You have lost all sense of rationality in a lame attempt to prove a moot point. Use of the word n***er is not what causes racism, it's the racist. You know the difference.
Sorry in my eyes that makes someone a hypocrite.

To claim to want to end racism but to say that the most offensive word a white person can use is acceptable long as its say hear say or certain times. Is never going to end racism

That is not going to stop anyone from using the word. Its going to continue to cause things like this. Its acceptable for certain people to use and not for others. So the word will continue to be used.

I am not saying you per say when it comes to the other thread or you calling Dr Laura a racist. I am saying however that democrats in that thread and on this board have called republicans racist for no reason other then being a republican. Let any republican go on national tv and use that word and the responses in this thread would be different.

I find it very hypocritical for democrats to claim to be the party for minorities and against racism and so on yet so many are here making excuses for a word that had a republican used well you get it.

I just dont want to hear any democrat ever complain about any white republican that might use that word thats all. Its that simple

Old 09-17-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothermanger View Post
Thats funny...Wonder if the mods here will edit your personal attacks, like they do to others?

Just curious..
I don't think you know what condescending means.

I hope that didn't sound condescending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies