Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 02:24 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,534,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Fascinating. He can actually be more than one thing at a time. Who knew?

So, accommodating your brilliant observation:

You don't think excellent political commentator/pundits and therapists should be held to different standards?

He certainly can multi-task. But which hat was he wearing when he made the comment?

I see we're now arguing context and intent in this pending debacle of a thread.

Schlessinger has also at times been noted as a "poltical commentator" so apparently she is also able to multi-task. What hat was she wearing when the comment was made?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 02:25 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,073,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Let's go with White Christian Hetero-sexual Conservative,
be careful, PC you know.
Are you Italian?

42,732 posts, read 29,869,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Sorry in my eyes that makes someone a hypocrite.

To claim to want to end racism but to say that the most offensive word a white person can use is acceptable long as its say hear say or certain times. Is never going to end racism

That is not going to stop anyone from using the word. Its going to continue to cause things like this. Its acceptable for certain people to use and not for others. So the word will continue to be used.

I am not saying you per say when it comes to the other thread or you calling Dr Laura a racist. I am saying however that democrats in that thread and on this board have called republicans racist for no reason other then being a republican. Let any republican go on national tv and use that word and the responses in this thread would be different.

I find it very hypocritical for democrats to claim to be the party for minorities and against racism and so on yet so many are here making excuses for a word that had a republican used well you get it.

I just dont want to hear any democrat ever complain about any white republican that might use that word thats all. Its that simple
You know how people are always saying it's not guns that kill people, it's people that kill people? They're kind of saying it doesn't matter what kind of gun or how many guns a person has, right? What matters isn't the gun, but how a person uses that gun, right?

Think about it. It's not the word itself that is harmful. It's how people use the word. Right?

10,420 posts, read 10,825,582 times
It is well known as the conservative/liberal main stream media double standard. If a conservative comedian had dropped the N-bomb, he would be figuratively tarred and feathered.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:42 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Sorry in my eyes that makes someone a hypocrite.

To claim to want to end racism but to say that the most offensive word a white person can use is acceptable long as its say hear say or certain times. Is never going to end racism

That is not going to stop anyone from using the word. Its going to continue to cause things like this. Its acceptable for certain people to use and not for others. So the word will continue to be used.

I am not saying you per say when it comes to the other thread or you calling Dr Laura a racist. I am saying however that democrats in that thread and on this board have called republicans racist for no reason other then being a republican. Let any republican go on national tv and use that word and the responses in this thread would be different.

I find it very hypocritical for democrats to claim to be the party for minorities and against racism and so on yet so many are here making excuses for a word that had a republican used well you get it.

I just dont want to hear any democrat ever complain about any white republican that might use that word thats all. Its that simple
If you feel that the word shouldn't be used at all, fine. I personally feel that it is the underlying issue (racism) that should be the focus, not the simple utterance of a word. I have never seen you in a thread condeming racsim from anyone on the right, yet you are focused on this word knowing that Bill Maher did not use it in an offensive manner. Your statements would be more credible if you actually denounced racism from the right. To you this is about bashing the left. Partisanism takes precedence over racism. I find it hypocritical for you to call anyone racist on one side of the political spectrum while condoning it from the other. Were you in the Dr. Laura threads saying that she was wrong for using it? Racism without the N word is still racism.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
He certainly can multi-task. But which hat was he wearing when he made the comment?
That would be a more interesting question were it relevant to the question being asked. In response to your last post it was adjusted to this:

You don't think excellent political commentator/pundits and therapists should be held to different standards?

You still do not seem interested in answering it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person
I see we're now arguing context and intent in this pending debacle of a thread.
Now? Weren't we arguing that from the second post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person
Schlessinger has also at times been noted as a "poltical commentator" so apparently she is also able to multi-task. What hat was she wearing when the comment was made?
Are you not acknowledging here that it actually does make a difference?

Old 09-17-2010, 02:45 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
So I repeat my earlier question:

What word can I say, and you can't?
You can say an word that you want to. If you offend people, just be prepared for the consequences. The same applies to me.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:46 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Bill Maher is a comedian. Laura Schlessinger is a therapist... or at least she pretends to be.

You don't think comedians and therapists should be held to different standards?

Really?
And when Dog the bounty hunter said it, he lost his show for a while. So, yes, everyone should be held to the same standard, especially if you have your own show.
So are you saying that it is okay that he said it?

Old 09-17-2010, 02:51 PM

30,895 posts, read 36,946,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Laura's use of the word was in defending it. Bill's use of the word was pointing out how it will probably be used in the 2012 campaign (that's my understanding from the link). Laura's use was offensive to some extent while Bill's was not so much "using" the word as it was commenting on its use. Apple meet orange.
Dr. Lauara wasn't defending it. Did you even listen to the tape??? She was pointing out the double standard in its use. You could argue she didn't do a good job of making her point, but to say she was defending it is nutty.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
It is well known as the conservative/liberal main stream media double standard. If a conservative comedian had dropped the N-bomb, he would be figuratively tarred and feathered.
Again... it actually depends on how he used it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies