Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 10:07 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,368,535 times

Advertisements

The left and their tolerance of Bill Maher's use of the word means they accept the use of the word - in ANY context.

Hypocrites one and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 10:07 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Who gets to judge this
don't be silly. only leftists are intelligent enough to decide how such a 'complicated' word can be used, and by whom

Old 09-17-2010, 10:08 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
I think it's because his audience is so small and liberal that not enough or nobody cares. He's really just an LA market.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:09 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,368,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
People need to get over it. It's institutional racism that is the biggest problem. People throwing around the N word or homophobic terminology isn't a big deal.

Try saying it several places in public. I'd be fairly certain you'd get beaten to crap, accosted, arrested or even killed. And those peeps would care less in the context you used it.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:09 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
The N word is offensive yet black people use it all the time in their rap songs and they use it in their comedy acts and they use it is a synonym for "buddy."
The N word can be offensive but it's time people stop crying over it to get people fired and simply speak out against it. It's that easy. Simply say "Hey, I don't agree with the use of that word. I don't like it because it's rude." End of story. Now get over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Why in the Hell would you have a desire to use "that word"? You know it's offensive. Just stop about it, use some common sense, and don't say it! It's really not that hard...

Old 09-17-2010, 10:10 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
I think it's because his audience is so small and liberal that not enough or nobody cares. He's really just an LA market.
he said it on the larry king show, so initially, only 5 people had to decide whether it was offensive or not

Old 09-17-2010, 10:12 AM

Assault and battery over the use of a rude word is very illegal. You can go to prison for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post

Try saying it several places in public. I'd be fairly certain you'd get beaten to crap, accosted, arrested or even killed. And those peeps would care less in the context you used it.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:13 AM

13,689 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
don't be silly. only leftists are intelligent enough to decide how such a 'complicated' word can be used, and by whom

"There's glory for you!"
"I don't know what you mean by 'glory,' " Alice said.
Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. "Of course you don't—till I tell you. I meant 'there's a nice knock-down argument for you!' "
"But 'glory' doesn't mean 'a nice knock-down argument,' " Alice objected.
"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less."
"The question is, " said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty. "which is to be master—that's all."

Old 09-17-2010, 10:16 AM

It's not the use of those words that are the major problems. It's the deeply ingrained discrimination problems that you will find in certain cultures and institutions. That is what does the damage because it's invisible and covert. The N word is simply a very rude word. If I here it I don't usually like it but I'm not going to wet my pants over it, the same if I hear f**. If I hear professionals who work at a store calling me f** then I may have a long talk with their supervisor. However, I'm not going to go wet my pants over it and demand that people be fired and sent to jail because I know some people don't agree with two men boning each other and the same goes for race, some people don't like certain races because of prior bad experiences or what not. It's their own personal bigotry and it's their issue. All we can do is have an open ended conversation and try to make harmony as best as possible. However, that does not included demanding somebody be fired or be sent to 30 days in jail.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:17 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,952 times
[

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
The N word is offensive yet black people use it all the time in their rap songs and they use it in their comedy acts and they use it is a synonym for "buddy."
The N word can be offensive but it's time people stop crying over it to get people fired and simply speak out against it. It's that easy. Simply say "Hey, I don't agree with the use of that word. I don't like it because it's rude." End of story. Now get over it.

As long as some can say it without repercussions,
anybody should be able to say it. Why are some
more 'special' than others?

PC is BS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies