U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 08:37 AM

19,556 posts, read 20,853,858 times

Advertisements

Those darned Amish....always stirring up trouble...

Quote:
Police arrested five street cleaners in a dawn raid today after receiving information they were allegedly plotting to harm the Pope.

The suspects were arrested by Scotland Yard at 5.45am at business premises in the centre of London and are now being questioned by counter-terror detectives.
They were working for Veolia Environmental Services, a contractor which employs 650 on-street staff to keep Westminster's streets clean.

Searches are underway at properties across the capital but Benedict XVI's schedule in the city is currently continuing as planned.
Read more: POPE'S UK VISIT: Five men arrested over plot to harm Benedict XVI | Mail Online
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 12:59 PM

15,587 posts, read 25,497,205 times
I wonder if the offenders are going to blame this on Pastor Jones.

=====================================

By the way-if any mods see this there needs to be a merge with this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ssination.html

Old 09-17-2010, 01:01 PM

41,704 posts, read 26,040,062 times
i'm sure the pope was being unnecessarily provocative.

like breathing, or something..

Old 09-18-2010, 01:04 PM

29,984 posts, read 40,876,914 times
Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Muslim plot to kill Pope

It was a bomb plot aimed not only at the Pope but for those infidel pilgrims who gathered to see him.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:14 PM

They obviously deserved to be killed for insulting Islam...by existing.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:49 PM

17,443 posts, read 26,675,880 times
When I first heard about this story I thought they might've been Ulster Protestants trying to start a "Real UDA" in response to the "Real IRA"

Muslims are not the only residents of the UK with an antipathy towards the Pope.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:58 PM

10,421 posts, read 9,989,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
When I first heard about this story I thought they might've been Ulster Protestants trying to start a "Real UDA" in response to the "Real IRA"

Muslims are not the only residents of the UK with an antipathy towards the Pope.
Yeah but not too many Algerian street sweepers are Irish.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:05 PM

17,443 posts, read 26,675,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Yeah but not too many Algerian street sweepers are Irish.
True, but the UDA DID have a history of violent activity:

Ulster Defence Association (UDA) / Ulster Freedom Fighters (UFF)

While the UDA (like the IRA) laid down its weapons, it is possible that a splinter group could emerge just as the "Real IRA" has emerged from the IRA. There are people in Northern Ireland who see it as a realistic possibility.

Belfast Media | News | UDA chief’s fears over ‘dissident’ loyalist groups

There are some who claim a "Real UDA" already exists, but I've only seen that mentioned on pro-republican (in the Irish sense not the US sense) sites.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:

Really....I didn't think that at all.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:45 PM

47,527 posts, read 66,011,223 times
Quote:

The media was doing it's damnedest to give that impression. It took them forever to identify the terrorists, they kept bringing up Catholic-Protestant hostilities to attempt to convince people it must be those darned radical protestants trying to kill the Pope again.

I knew from the start it was going to be Muslims - Muslims who up until that point were perfect moderate Muslims. And - who tried to kill the last Pope and almost did - Muslims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies