Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 10:04 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,148,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertarianMan View Post
Only a valid point if they are well traveled and world experienced.

Eitherway there is nothing wrong with feeling that way.
You make a very good point that I was thinking about as I wrote this post.

How many of the folks that say "this is the best country" are well traveled?

You can give a % if you'd like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 10:04 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,590,621 times
I only thought of it during the Iraq War. I was getting worried as to how much longer the voluntary army was going to last and if there would be a draft, especially during the time there was a push for an Iran War too! I couldn't actually afford to do it, of course, just thoughts and discussions with other like-minded people at the time.

My parents told me during the Vietnam War that if I was a son instead of a daughter, and just 3 years older (before the war ended), they would have moved to Canada. They would have been able to probably, Dad is a retired airline mechanic, I'm sure he could've found work back then.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:12 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,186,081 times
I have never considered renouncing my citizenship. However, if Texas were to secede and restore the Republic then I'd go with Texas.

For any who have considered or wished to renounce their U.S. citizenship, have they considered that if they were to do so then they might be illegal aliens while in the U.S.?

Old 09-17-2010, 10:13 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,148,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
I have never considered renouncing my citizenship. However, if Texas were to secede and restore the Republic then I'd go with Texas.

For any who have considered or wished to renounce their U.S. citizenship, have they considered that if they were to do so then they might be illegal aliens while in the U.S.?

Not true at all.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:31 PM

20,251 posts, read 19,824,138 times
Nope. Never. Can't think of anyone I know that's even considered it.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:56 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,944,341 times
I have not, but I have looked into moving to Canada, New Zealand, Australia, the EU etc.

All of the places rate as the best countries to live in the World, less corrupt than the USA, and a higher standard of living.

The USA is falling and falling fast. You can just look to the rise Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck as examples. We have crossed the Rubicon and there is no turning back.

It's not easy to do.

If you don't have a highly technical skill your only other option is an investors Visa and that's at least a $600K investment on the cheap end 1.5 Mil for the EU.

At my age I've just decided I'm going to encourage my kids to get their University degrees overseas and hope they create some ties of their own there.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:04 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,279,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Or do you know of anyone that has.

Just curious to see how many people on this forum have considered it.

I ask because there seems to be a great deal of unhappiness on this forum as it relates to this country.
I have not considered renoucing my citizenship. I have considered moving to another country. If the economic situation in this country does not improve in terms of some key structural issues, education, more job growth for middle class Americans, and a drive to improve infrastucture then I've decided that I'll probably move. Also if the country moves too far to the right I'm out of here. That's a no brainer. The countries in my list are Canada, Austrialia, Germany, Switzerland, and Singapore

Old 09-17-2010, 03:07 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,608,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Nope. Never. Can't think of anyone I know that's even considered it.

Me neither. Nor would I consider keeping company with such.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:09 PM

6,513 posts, read 7,522,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Or do you know of anyone that has.

Just curious to see how many people on this forum have considered it.

I ask because there seems to be a great deal of unhappiness on this forum as it relates to this country.
No, but I do have dual citizenship. If the s*** really hits the fan, I can bolt to Europe with ease.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:11 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,608,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
No, but I do have dual citizenship. If the s*** really hits the fan, I can bolt to Europe with ease.

Yeah, but....the sh*t is already hitting the fan there!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies