Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 01:10 PM

467 posts, read 324,987 times

Advertisements

Well, we agree on the hypocrisy point. Is that good enough?

Now, do you think the health care system can/should be fixed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 04:53 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown stuntman View Post
Ah yes the same Moore who showed footage of Charlton Heston’s famous "cold dead hands” speech, actually delivered a year later, where Moore took audio of seven sentences, from five different parts of the speech and edited them into footage of a different event, a Denver NRA meeting that was held 10 days after the Columbine shootings?
If you insanely even suggest Moore is a "genius", I hope you are simply referring to Moore's aptitude to lie and mainpulate facts time and time again to support his thesis. He is an afficiando at that, I'll give you that. Beyond that, you are as gullible as the suckers who prance around to the comings and goings on professional wrestling if you think Moore has any credibility at all.

Kind of ironic. As Scooter Libby is pardoned by Bush. Manipulate facts lol- you may be speaking of our current administration.

And it's 'afficionado'.. Moore gets the message out about the health crisis. It matters to every human being . I could care less about guns another red-herring.

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 07-02-2007 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: add

Old 07-02-2007, 04:58 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebOver View Post
I am not a fan of Michael Moore. Truthdig: Drilling Beneath the Headlines features a lengthy revue of the film 'Sicko'.

I don't believe one blog tells ALL the facts.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:24 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
I just saw this film tonight, and started crying when the 9/11 workers, etc. were all able to get help from Cuban doctors. Meanwhile, I live in Los Angeles, where the skid row dumping of patients fresh from nearby hospitals went on for years until just recently when media coverage helped put a stop to it! It's a shameful commentary on the state of our society.

The system is broken. Health care should never be for profit! How can you balance your bottom line against someone else's life?! I'd rather pay high taxes and have socialized medicine than the mess we're in now. I'm praying that I never get sick, that no one I know ever gets sick!

And as for the CEO's of Aetna, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Kaiser, etc. I don't even know how they're able to sleep at night. They're so distanced from the very real human suffering that they cause; I can't even call them human.

I'm convinced that lobbyists (i.e. corporations) run this country. Stay tuned for more ways that America can be run into the ground!

Old 07-03-2007, 12:37 AM

145 posts, read 519,373 times
The health care system could function if those who avail themselves of the services paid their bills (hospitals are closing due to abandoned patient billing), prioritized health care insurance over the next Nintendo system (I'd worked retail at a toy store. Those with the least spent more than those with the most), if people spent money they actually had versus the debt of living beyond their means. Consider all of the monies spent on credit card interest for things that are unnecessary. These monies could change many of the things people complain about overnight. There are horrible situations we could point to in all of our communities. There are also fully capable people who in addition to the support of family, or friends, their own church or community should be responsible and self reliant. I have gone without to assure that I had health insurance. I have stayed in jobs when I should have moved on because I kept my bases covered. I changed jobs when I knew I had found one that allowed me to meet my responsibilities. I will not be an apologist for my success or begrudge others the level of theirs. I do resent having to turn the other cheek and endure the crap from those whose poor choices have made them a burden. Many denigrate our health care system from a position of comfort. It is unrealistic to think that we can use the world as a buffet of choices, cherry picking from all over to create the system ideal.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebOver View Post
The health care system could function if those who avail themselves of the services paid their bills (hospitals are closing due to abandoned patient billing), prioritized health care insurance over the next Nintendo system (I'd worked retail at a toy store. Those with the least spent more than those with the most), if people spent money they actually had versus the debt of living beyond their means. Consider all of the monies spent on credit card interest for things that are unnecessary. These monies could change many of the things people complain about overnight. There are horrible situations we could point to in all of our communities. There are also fully capable people who in addition to the support of family, or friends, their own church or community should be responsible and self reliant. I have gone without to assure that I had health insurance. I have stayed in jobs when I should have moved on because I kept my bases covered. I changed jobs when I knew I had found one that allowed me to meet my responsibilities. I will not be an apologist for my success or begrudge others the level of theirs. I do resent having to turn the other cheek and endure the crap from those whose poor choices have made them a burden. Many denigrate our health care system from a position of comfort. It is unrealistic to think that we can use the world as a buffet of choices, cherry picking from all over to create the system ideal.
Assuming everything you say here is true and there are people who don't plan well and are therefore unable to pay their bills...

What do you say about the people who work hard, keep great jobs with awesome benefits, pay into their insurance plan for years and then when they come down with cancer are told that they've discovered a pre-existing yeast infection you failed to disclose when you listed "serious ailments" on your application, or that your treatment is "experimental" when they are performing that same treatment in the hospital you are in on other people? I wish these were isolated incidents that didn't happen, but there are people suffering under a system that they work hard to pay into. What do you say to those people?

Are you aware that medical bills are the number 1 reason for filing bankruptcy in this country? Good, hard working people intent on paying their bills get sick and can't.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:42 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,170,027 times
I paid my medical bills for many years. They took ALL of my money (honestly!) I CAN'T afford to pay them anymore!!

What other solutions are there?

Old 07-03-2007, 06:40 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
When a man is told it's going to cost $60,000 to reattach the tip of his middle finger vs. $12,000 to reattach the top of his ring finger (both tips were lost in an accident) because he has no health insurance, what's the answer? I don't think any of us spend $72,000 on "toys"! And why does it cost so much to perform such a surgery?! Why did this man have to choose which finger to save?

Whenever I wonder why I can't get ahead, all I have to do is look at my medical and dental bills. My dental insurance is very good, but I had to have a crown done, and so did my son. My portion cost me $250 each, so that's $500 that I somehow have to find. Again, I'm not going out all the time, I don't buy tons of clothing or shoes... Like most people, I'm trying to survive. I'm a renter, so I can't even tap into the equity in my home (which is a good way to become homeless, by the way!). I'm responsible, and work hard to pay my bills, but now I'm realizing I'm not the only one in this position. What am I doing wrong? Nothing! The system itself is the problem; we're all just cogs in a very big wheel, comprised of drug company and health care company greed for more and more profits.

People who have chronic but not life-threatening illnesses are the worst off - migraine sufferers, diabetics, those who have arthritis, for example. Insurance companies are just looking for a way to cut them off from further care, so God forbid that you lose your job and have to go insurance-shopping. It's eye-opening.

I honestly have no feelings about Michael Moore, other than he's very good at what he does. He's shown the spotlight on a very serious, very real issue. It needs to be completely overhauled. Who could argue with that conclusion?

Old 07-03-2007, 12:14 PM

I'm tired of hearing people say his films are "one-sided" - of course they are!

The pharmaceutical industry and insurance lobbies don't run ads with depictions of people going bankrupt due to excessive bills or pictures of the gravestones of the children who were denied treatment.

He's not saying we shouldn't have private insurance. If you want to pay for it - great. He's just saying that the current system does everything it can to NOT pay you. I work with injured workers and let me tell you that getting treatment or benefits of any kind out of an insurance company is like getting blood from a stone.

Did you know that there are 4, count them 4, lobbyists for ever congressman/woman?

The insurance companies pay doctors a BONUS for the amount of money they save by denying treatment. Do you really need any more information than that?

Old 07-03-2007, 01:20 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I just saw this film tonight, and started crying when the 9/11 workers, etc. were all able to get help from Cuban doctors.
And that is exactly the response he wants, the good propagandaist that he is. The key is to play to ones emotions which override common sense.

Would you really rather get your medical care from the Cuban health care system? Would you want your children to have a procedure there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies