Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 03:26 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Remember the good old days when kids learned to deal with bullies on their own instead of bringing their parents, the school, and the media all into it?

Our society is going backwards.
Dont remember disabled kids dealing with bullies back in the good old days. I however laid out a few bullies who screwed with my nerdy friends. Its a nightmare for school bullies when the star defensive lineman of the football team is in the chess club, plays in band and the Dungeon & Dragons club.

Just call me Dungeon Master punkass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 03:28 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,667,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I just wonder how the father managed to show so much restraint.
Yes, I too wonder how he managed it.

If the little thugs were throwing condoms and putting them on her head, the father appropriately viewed this as a possible threat of rape on a defenseless, handicapped 11 year old girl.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:46 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,834,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
He should have had his daughter tell the kid he was going to kick his ass or threatened him when there were no witnesses around.
+1

I don't have a disabled daughter, but I do have 2 young kids. I agree, this dad let his emotions get out of control. Hypothetically, if I were in the same situation, this would have gone down real quiet-like. No cameras, no witnesses.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:31 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Video Catches Dad Becoming School Bus Bully | NBC Miami

I'd like to understand something that may have a legal background or knowledge.

How can this father be charged with committing a crime without actually physically hitting anyone (as far we know from the story)?

What would have been his option had he seen the kid actually beating his daughter? If he simply told the kid bully to stop but the kid were to continue, is the parent supposed to just stand there and keep talking?

If there is a video of this dad getting out of control, why is there not a video of the kid bully hitting his daughter?

I would imagine that the same laws applying to this dad now would apply to the kid as well.

It's unbelievable how the kid bullies are untouchables but the parents are punished to the fullest extent of the law when they intervene.

False imprisonment?
Disorderly conduct? - wow, I guess this charge could apply to anyone who yells at another person in public.
Interrupting School Function - okay, detention for this parent.
Assault - ?
That charge does apply to anyone who yells at another person in public. I hate Disorderly Conduct. I think it is a catch all BS charge that is vague. As an aside, I usually like locating statutes in other states, I just don't have the time to double check what I have.
I think I have Florida's statute here:

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Quote:
Breach of the peace; disorderly conduct.
—
Whoever commits such acts as are of a nature to corrupt the public morals, or outrage the sense of public decency, or affect the peace and quiet of persons who may witness them, or engages in brawling or fighting, or engages in such conduct as to constitute a breach of the peace or disorderly conduct, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
Here is a link for assault:
Assault and Battery Law & Legal Definition

Schools boards must learn that their policies are inadequate. And even if she could have defended herself, their policies would not have allowed her to. So, they have kids in a bind, it is another one of those ultra conservative policies that constitutes putting fingers in thier ears and going lalalalala. If it doesn't exist then we don't have to actually do anything.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:48 PM

948 posts, read 1,385,861 times
Pandamonium
I think that both statutes would be smothered by imminent danger laws that the girl was in imminent danger of being injured by the boys when gotten off the bus. It could be argued that since the action was not occurring at that moment the girl was not imminent danger. IE can't see the future. A defense would be that the in my face laws extend to a minor child especially a special needs child. However a parent on the jury most likely would not agree I think he has a winnable case.

I would say that people should avoid this type of confrontation and it could have been handled another way. You can not see ten second into the future and the action could have gone way bad for any of the parties.

Pandamonium: Good research. It's always productive to make an educated point.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:48 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,860,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post

These 'kids' went beyond schoolyard bullying. What they did was downright disgusting.

Children can and do fight their own battles when it's one on one.

How do you know he is 'nanny parenting'? Got proof of that?

You realize how obnoxious it looks typing in bold don't you? In this case he was right because she is not able to defend herself. But if this was just a normal kid and he did it then it would be nanny parenting.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
How do you or those brats know they were veiled. Those brats need to know when people cross a certain line it just might end them up in a hospital or dead. Better they understand that now in a controlled situation instead from someone capping their asses for mad dogging or f'en with the wrong person.

Because anyone who says generally doesn't ever do. People who threaten go home and watch rocky movies wishing they were tough Most people would look at this guy and laugh.....which according to the link the kids did.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Remember the good old days when kids learned to deal with bullies on their own instead of bringing their parents, the school, and the media all into it?

See that's what i'm trying to say.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:53 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:

No I don't. Parents were getting involved back in the 60's when I was in school too. Exactaly what good old days are you dreaming about?

Old 09-18-2010, 04:58 PM

948 posts, read 1,385,861 times
Quote:

How ever times have changes from the time my uncle loked me and my brother in the barn to "work it out"
The idea of letting kids handle it in part led to Columbine. Times have changed and we have to deal with now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies