Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the government have a right to kill us?
Yes 24 57.14%
No 17 40.48%
Not sure 1 2.38%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 03:28 PM

296 posts, read 228,393 times

Advertisements

DNA tests exhonerate positively but incriminate positively too...

In fact,one of the best arguments IN FAVOUR of DP is the DNA technology.

Now we can be sure that the accused is guilty as sin...& no innocent person will be executed...

For me,I believe in the distinction between murder 1 & capital murder.

Heinous murderers however must not get away with prison sentence...

For example,rapist murderers,sadistic murderers who enjoy killing etc should pay with their lives...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 03:32 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenge2ful View Post
DNA tests exhonerate positively but incriminate positively too...

In fact,one of the best arguments IN FAVOUR of DP is the DNA technology.

Now we can be sure that the accused is guilty as sin...& no innocent person will be executed...
Yes, but I wonder what percentage of death row inmates were convicted using DNA technology. I would bet the percentage is low.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:33 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
She's a murderer, she gets whatever she gets, she was in charge of her future.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:40 PM

296 posts, read 228,393 times
That's right,DNA is used inappropriately,only to exhonerate...The juries do not convict with only the DNA as evidence.

Anyway...

I believe that a mixed system of justice is democratic.

There has to be an effort to reinstate the DP in the 16 states which don't have it
& enhance it in the other 20 states which have it only on paper.

40 executions last year for some... 12K murders,of which some 3K are capital murders is a disgrace...

Old 09-18-2010, 03:44 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,277,527 times
In most states when you plead guilty, you are exempt from the death penalty(life), I guess this is not the case in Virginia.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:45 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Then I'm definitely an abolitionist. My position is also inspired by a libertarian philosophy that believes in limiting the government's power over our bodies.

What about the people murdered?

Who speaks for them?

Females routinely get special treatment for heinous violent crimes simply because they are a special class and more equal than males. After Lorena Bobbitt sexual mutilated her husband, females in this country openly made cutesy jokes about it. The double standard applied to her as feminists rushed to her aid as though she were the victim is as revolting as the act itself. Countless females have murdered their husbands and boyfriends in cold blood then claimed abuse as a justification. Now comes AUM crying crocodile tears because a female will face justice. Well Boo-Hoo!

Old 09-18-2010, 03:51 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
DNA evidence is not available in a majority of capital crimes. It requires the perpetrator to leave behind biological evidence. Furthermore, that biological evidence left behind has to be testable, clean, not compromised.

So, if the argument is to be made that without DNA evidence there would not be a DP, that simply does not hold water. DNA evidence has greater potential to exonerate than to convict.

I suspect in another 30 yrs. most Death Row inmates will have been convicted since DNA tasting has been available and this will become nearly a non-issue.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:55 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,842,040 times
I dont think the gov should be able to do a lot of the things its doing

But I dont support the death penalty

Old 09-19-2010, 02:40 AM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
The question was worded in an inflammatory way anyway. OBama's death panels are the government killing us indirectly, deciding a 80 year old man who worked hard his whole life's health care is too expensive and its more worthwhile to spend the money on "oppressed" illegal immigrants.

This woman is a convicted murderer, she deserves to die. The evidence is clear, its not like there was controversy over her conviction, she is guilty of what she's charged with. Are you suggesting she should get special treatment because of her gender?

Old 09-19-2010, 02:46 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
I was always a strong advocate for the death penalty however due to the revelations of many people on death row that didn't commit the crime I'm no longer in favor of it. If you could absolutely guarantee 100% that the person committed the crime I'd be all for it but as recent events have shown that is not the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies