Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 01:16 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,961,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewmik View Post
There is mercury in them I saw a report on TV once that said leave the room for 10 minutes but the reporter stood there and explained why. It would be the same danger as a broken thermostat. so don't sweat it.
How ever I would point out that in an effort to save the environment all CF L's are made in China.
'Green' lightbulbs poison workers - Times Online

Large numbers of Chinese workers have been poisoned by mercury, which forms part of the compact fluorescent lightbulbs. A surge in foreign demand, set off by a European Union directive making these bulbs compulsory within three years, has also led to the reopening of mercury mines that have ruined the environment.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 01:18 PM

1,324 posts, read 1,199,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewmik View Post
There is mercury in them I saw a report on TV once that said leave the room for 10 minutes but the reporter stood there and explained why. It would be the same danger as a broken thermostat. so don't sweat it.
How ever I would point out that in an effort to save the environment all CF L's are made in China.
SO , what happens to my cats when I'm not home and an evil bulb breaks .They will do what they do and go look at it and touch it with one paw to find out what it is.
Then ...

Old 09-19-2010, 01:23 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,452,525 times
Properly using and disposing compact florescent light bulbs is simply a matter of common sense ... which I guess explains the panic of some people.

Some good information is available here: http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partner...et_Mercury.pdf

Old 09-19-2010, 01:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,548,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Properly using and disposing compact florescent light bulbs is simply a matter of common sense ... which I guess explains the panic of some people.

Some good information is available here: http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partner...et_Mercury.pdf
Right..and how many Americans do you think will dispose of them properly ?
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say "not many" with the majority of them just tossing in their garbage can.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say "not many" with the majority of them just tossing in their garbage can.
'Cause you just know there is no way that plastic ziplock baggie is going to tear or be cut open when the bulb gets crushed in the landfill.

Seriously, no common sense whatsoever by the EPA.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:35 PM

948 posts, read 1,386,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That's true in industrial settings they have a tax incentive program to properly dispose of the bulbs. However in a single house hold it would probably out weigh the cost.
There is also a incentive to replace standard T12 bulbs with T8 bulbs but the same thing applies. It's not cost effective in a single home enviorment.

I am also wondering why you let your cats play with light bulbs??
I would suggest just because of the glass you keep new and old bulbs away from pets and kids

Old 09-19-2010, 01:45 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,372,829 times
I have a bag of the damned things hanging in the utility room.

Saves money my *ss. I've bought more of these stupid things in the last three years than I ever did with incandescent. I'll pay the extra for the electricity rather than spend the effort to change these things out again.

I've gone back to the incandescent because:

1. The mercury in them. Ya can't throw them in the trash. The Green police sift thru garbage now. My local recycling station is all the way across town. (Guess what THEY do with them?)

2. The quality of light with flourescent bulbs is horrible. I cannot see to read my mail. My wife cannot see to do needlepoint.

3. The warranty on the box is useless. Try to get Lowes, Ace or HD to give you a new bulb when they burn out.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:07 PM

Mercury leaks found as new bulbs break - The Boston Globe

Old 09-19-2010, 03:27 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,488,067 times
Do what I would do and switch back to incandescents - any worries regarding the issue will disappear.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:49 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,180,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Yes, there's mercury in fluorescent bulbs and yes, its dangerous but I think it is a bit overblown... for instance, a small instance of very minute exposure isn't likely to harm you but repeated exposure will... the problem with fluorescent bulbs is that when they get dumped, they leach into the groundwater and get into animals... making you chronically exposed and at doses much higher than mercury vapors from a broken fluorescent bulbs... the reason they aren't illegal is that they consume much less power than incandescent bulbs... its why we should all move to LED bulbs, consume less and less toxic but they should be carefully recycled (as well as carefully produced)... as in don't do it like China does...
The compact fluorescent bulbs are supposed to have 1 gram of mercury, and the long tubes might have a lot more then that.

I look at it this way, between all the lights in our homes and at work, the city of Hew York alone must have several hundred million of these bulbs. Multiply a few million bulbs that end up in our landfills every year, and then multiply that by decades, and we may have a serious problem, eg... poisoned ground water for our children and grand children. All because people went bat-crazy over the supposed doom of man-made global warming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies