Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 05:20 PM

1,324 posts, read 1,201,347 times

Advertisements

SO , what happens to my cats when I'm not home and an evil bulb breaks .They will do what they do and go look at it and touch it with one paw to find out what it is.
Then ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 06:16 PM

29,980 posts, read 43,033,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwaswon View Post
SO , what happens to my cats when I'm not home and an evil bulb breaks .They will do what they do and go look at it and touch it with one paw to find out what it is.
Then ...
What you want a crystal ball reading?

I've never had any indoor lightbulb explode. So, if your cats go around knocking over lamps with CFL bulbs it sounds like you have bigger problems.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:28 PM

948 posts, read 1,388,667 times
They won't just break infact if you shoot a incodecent with a squirt gun they exploed, squirt a CFL the same way they dont.
However they are just not worth the extra money.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:43 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,323,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
I have a bag of the damned things hanging in the utility room.

Saves money my *ss. I've bought more of these stupid things in the last three years than I ever did with incandescent. I'll pay the extra for the electricity rather than spend the effort to change these things out again.

I've gone back to the incandescent because:

1. The mercury in them. Ya can't throw them in the trash. The Green police sift thru garbage now. My local recycling station is all the way across town. (Guess what THEY do with them?)

2. The quality of light with flourescent bulbs is horrible. I cannot see to read my mail. My wife cannot see to do needlepoint.

3. The warranty on the box is useless. Try to get Lowes, Ace or HD to give you a new bulb when they burn out.
I use the daylight bulbs. The light is bright and clear and far easier to see in than incandescent bulbs. Don't get the ones from the dollar store, they will die quickly. The ones from major stores do last.

And get your wife an ott light bulb. They sell them at Lowes. It is a full spectrum bulb, and is also sold as a sunlight bulb. I use them with my needlepoint and tapastries. They also deliver true colors.

I also use ONE of them in the living room unless its necessary for additional light. They are the same light as the ones you find in craft stores. Just the bulbs. Put them in a floating light above the chair and you'll be happy.

I don't like the yellowish tone of the normal cfs bulbs but love the clear brightness of the daylight type. They are near full spectrum lights.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:19 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,667,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Do what I would do and switch back to incandescents - any worries regarding the issue will disappear.

Supposedly the feds are phasing them out by 2014. Will they then become illegal? Start hoarding!

Old 09-20-2010, 05:42 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,382,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Supposedly the feds are phasing them out by 2014. Will they then become illegal? Start hoarding!
Done already!

Old 09-20-2010, 05:45 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,693,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Stocking up myself..and extra 4-pack or two here and there.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:07 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,823,320 times
Those old-fashioned bulbs are being phased out globally. In Brazil they are no longer available, here it is getting more difficult to get them as well.
I would not really mind that if the new bulbs were as long-lasting as it says on the package. I have had a couple of them and they didn't last much longer than normal bulbs, despite being considerably more expensive. And they too contain dangerous materials.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:16 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,596,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Those old-fashioned bulbs are being phased out globally. In Brazil they are no longer available, here it is getting more difficult to get them as well.
I would not really mind that if the new bulbs were as long-lasting as it says on the package. I have had a couple of them and they didn't last much longer than normal bulbs, despite being considerably more expensive. And they too contain dangerous materials.

I replaced all the incandescent bulbs in my house with CFLs in 2004 when Home Depot was having a big sale. Since then, I've had to replace about three of them. I'm convinced they're better.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:23 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,823,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
I replaced all the incandescent bulbs in my house with CFLs in 2004 when Home Depot was having a big sale. Since then, I've had to replace about three of them. I'm convinced they're better.
Maybe yours were by a better brand. Mine were by Philips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies