Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 06:36 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,584,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Maybe yours were by a better brand. Mine were by Philips.

I don't recall the brand name. But I think they're just some generics that were selling for about a dollar each, but were packed in bundles of four in that irritating heavy plastic crap that's so darn hard to pry open. I recall thinking that I'd better go for it because they wouldn't be that cheap again in the forseeable future, and they were normally selling for a lot more at that time. There was limit on each purchase - I think it was 8 per customer. I went back about four times to get enough.

Anyway, they've worked out real well in my place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 07:06 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
I don't recall the brand name. But I think they're just some generics that were selling for about a dollar each, but were packed in bundles of four in that irritating heavy plastic crap that's so darn hard to pry open. I recall thinking that I'd better go for it because they wouldn't be that cheap again in the forseeable future, and they were normally selling for a lot more at that time. There was limit on each purchase - I think it was 8 per customer. I went back about four times to get enough.

Anyway, they've worked out real well in my place.
Sounds like a traumatic unpacking experience
A dollar for such a lamp is really cheap, here they cost like $10 a lamp.

Maybe there is a design issue, I just read that in the US you have the spiral design whereas we have the long straight ones.
One can't even use a dimmer with those lamps And they emit UV light like the sun, might be a problem for people with sensitive skin.

Well, I will continue to hoard 25W conventional bulbs

Old 09-20-2010, 07:32 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,596,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwaswon View Post
I saw energy saving bulbs at walmart at a good price but I hear they are dangerous . Is this fiction ? Will a broken bulb harm my cats ?
Is this link true ?
Safety Tips for Energy Efficient Fluorescent Light Bulbs - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com
If you encounter a broken fluorescent bulb or tube, there are some steps you need to take. Open a window to provide ventilation for any mercury vapors. Everyone, including pets, should leave the room for at least 15 minutes. After waiting a sufficient amount of time use something disposable to sweep up glass fragments and powder: for example, some thin pieces of cardboard. Dump the debris into a plastic bag and seal it.

Also , there is no warning on the box containing the bulbs about any danger .
yes, they contain mercury and are dangerous. For pregnant mothers and babies, small children, the bulbs are extremely hazardous to their health.

YouTube - How Mercury Causes Brain Neuron Damage - Uni. of Calgary

Old 09-20-2010, 10:36 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
I don't recall having a vote or say on this matter. Anyone else? Incandescents are safe, cheap, work perfectly well, and only replace them maybe twice yearly. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Too many meddlers with fingers in the federal pie, especially the EPA.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:42 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I don't recall having a vote or say on this matter. Anyone else? Incandescents are safe, cheap, work perfectly well, and only replace them maybe twice yearly. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Too many meddlers with fingers in the federal pie, especially the EPA.
The Lib-rules break things so that they can "fix" them.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:44 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post

I guess it lines pockets too. Think, Algore.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:46 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,596,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
No, that would be corporate lobbies influencing govt agencies (corporatism).

Old 09-20-2010, 10:48 AM

1,890 posts, read 2,654,332 times
Quote:
No, we sure didn't. I'm gonna start hoarding them. I've never had one break in a short time. I shut off them off when not in use! I still have a 30 years old bulb in the linen room that works fine.

Why meddle with something that's worked for 150 years?

Most of the CFLs are humongous that won't fit some lamps as well.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:57 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,844,930 times
Quote:
Exactly! And this issue just angers me so much! If you drop a bulb, you are not supposed to use the vacuum cleaner as it will further spread the mercury. And what about Autistic children who cannot have mercury around them?

Old 09-20-2010, 10:58 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
No, that would be corporate lobbies influencing govt agencies (corporatism).
Corporatist Chemical Weapons of Mass Dumbstruction, that's what!

YouTube - How Mercury Causes Brain Neuron Damage - Uni. of Calgary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies