Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 12:54 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
It's like they are purposely trying to make people go broke!
well some manufacturers try to save money by using low voltage LEDs in high voltage systems, and the LEDs then burn out quickly. there are high voltage LEDs available, and they do cost more, but they also last much longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 01:06 PM

2,564 posts, read 1,595,883 times
Lightbulb Corporate lobbyists behind incandescent ban

Corporate lobbyists behind incandescent ban

Shocked, I'm shocked , I tell ya!

Bright idea: lobbyists win light ban. - Free Online Library
"Bright idea: lobbyists win light ban.

THE INCANDESCENT light bulb died on December 19. Its funeral was attended by House and Senate leaders, President George W. Bush, and several commemorative signing pens. When the president signed the 2007 energy bill (passed by a veto-proof majority), he approved a mandate that all light bulbs consume 25 percent less energy by the year 2012. That effectively bans the traditional, cheap incandescent bulb, allowing the expensive but longer-lasting and more efficient compact fluorescent bulb to take over the market.

One reason such a major change moved so smoothly through Congress was that industry lobbyists wanted it..."

Old 09-20-2010, 01:08 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Done already!
Me too.

At first I liked the idea of CFLs. Then I deployed them and realized it created an atmosphere only slightly nicer than a Gestapo interrogation room.

The 100 watt incandescents will be the first to go and it was actually Bush who signed their demise into law. I have already procured enough to last a lifetime or at least until LEDs become cost effective and send the CFL packing.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:08 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,809,014 times
Quote:
Yes, and it's amazing that they don't see the pattern of people and that they will not be responsible. So, saying we are cleaning up the environment is not really a serious issue for them. And I'm like you, I don't want to cry "conspiracy", but what is going on? No one can be that stupid or can they? LOL!
Batteries are substantially more toxic then the trace amount of mercury in light bulbs, and does anyone really dispose of them properly?

This topic is ridiculous and just a bunch of bologna that's been all over fox news. I saw a segment on fox this morning where the person stated how they are so deadly if one cracks, you have to leave the house for 15 minutes and once incandescents are phased out, emergency room visits are going to go through the roof from mercury poisoning.
The one that got me rolling was the blonde bimbo said to the extent "Yeah! plus they make your skin look bad! That's a no-no for women, especially when we're aging"

Old 09-20-2010, 01:11 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Batteries are substantially more toxic then the trace amount of mercury in light bulbs, and does anyone really dispose of them properly?

This topic is ridiculous and just a bunch of bologna that's been all over fox news. I saw a segment on fox this morning where the person stated how they are so deadly if one cracks, you have to leave the house for 15 minutes and once incandescents are phased out, emergency room visits are going to go through the roof from mercury poisoning.
The one that go me rolling was the blonde bimbo said to the extent "Yeah! plus they make your skin look bad! That's a no-no for women, especially when we're aging"

LOL! Perhaps its fair to say that they are neither the Earth's salvation nor something akin to a Bioweapon.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:57 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times
Quote:
It's like they are purposely trying to make people go broke!

Black market? Wonder what they will go for?!

Old 09-20-2010, 06:00 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Maybe yours were by a better brand. Mine were by Philips.
Like everything you have cheap and better. The better ones do last a long time. They last less time if they are turned off and on a lotl
But still they will outlast the old type. The thing I like is they dont give off huge amounts of heat.

You can spend 10 of so dollars for a sunlight/ott bulb and use it for plants too. The daylight bulbs will give you true colors. I have a coupld of bulbs which are probably 4 years old still working fine.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:07 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
currently all my LEDs are in low voltage uses, flashlights, and automotive applications.

when did you buy your LEDs? and are you sure you got the right ones for your application?
Sam's club. Came in a packet, yes, correct application. Less light than the LED flashlights, hardly threw any light at all. Very disappointing. I love my Surefire LED flashlights. LED light bulb replacements for incandescent...not.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:09 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Video - Opinion Journal: Saving the Incandescent Bulb - WSJ.com

Old 09-21-2010, 06:18 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Sam's club. Came in a packet, yes, correct application. Less light than the LED flashlights, hardly threw any light at all. Very disappointing. I love my Surefire LED flashlights. LED light bulb replacements for incandescent...not.
Had the same experience when I tried LED bulbs in my living room. The light was oddly sterile and weak, I felt like in a lab after a catastrophe when only the backup generator provides limited energy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies