Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 07:27 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,016,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edub View Post
[font=Verdana][b]So, in other words,
The only other words are those that you fabricate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 07:29 PM

71 posts, read 111,043 times
[quote=miamiman;15951906]Let these people enjoy their lives. Instead of thinking that everyone on Section 8 is out to sell drugs, play loud music at all hours, bring in violence, and lower property values, think of the way that this might HELP those same people.

Maybe a Section 8 person would be inspired to do better for themselves seeing what they could afford ON THEIR OWN if they pursue more education. If not them, then maybe their children will benefit from living in a pleasant environment and not having to attend some run down inner-city school.

I swear, some people in this country only feel valuable when they see that they have more than others. That is not a humane and just way to live.[/quote

And of course my experience is anecdotal, but a lot of what you said did ring true. And why just let them " enjoy their lives"? WE ARE PAYING FOR THEM TO DO WHATEVER THEY WANT. I am sorry, when I was 18...my parents gently told me to LEAVE. I am now a man who has worked ****TY jobs and took loans out to go to school. I am better for this. If I lived off my parents and did nothing all day, how would that help me? That is basically what your saying. People living off the government doing nothing is fine.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:37 PM

12 posts, read 13,594 times
I agree with joshthegreat. Isn't there a cap on how long someone can be on section 8? Something similar to receiving cash assistant through welfare. I know they have a cap whether its 5 year max or something close to that.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:38 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,003,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshthegreat View Post
How are you helping them? All we are doing is keeping them alive, we are not HELPING them survive. We are not helping them get educations, we are not helping them get jobs, we are not helping them learn the benefits of a family. How are we helping them?

A LOT of conservatives AND inner-cities black families support school choice, why do MOST Democrats NOT support that? This would give ANY kid in poverty the RIGHT to attend a school of their choice, again, why are the democrats against this? Ok OK...I won't play dumb, is because of the teacher union, which has a huge pull with the Dems. EVERY KID DESERVES A GOOD SCHOOL.
Yes, we ARE helping them to survive. Shelter is one of the basic principles of survival. Helping people to afford shelter that they would could not afford on their own, IMO, is helping people survive.

Section 8 is not about helping people get educations. It is about subsidizing housing so the poor aren't crowded in slums. We have government programs to help people who can't afford education receive funding. Conservatives regularly trash those programs too. Welfare does have a limit. People can no longer sit on welfare for years and years. Welfare does have a component to it where people have to go through job training to continue their benefits. Also, quite a few people on welfare DO have jobs. What in the world are you talking about with benefits of a family? A two parent home? Having children in wedlock? All American families do not share the same value system. This is 2010, not 1950. By the time a woman has four children at 23, lecturing her about these "benefits" is kind of pointless, wouldn't you say?

Who cares what choice you give people concentrated in an impoverished neighborhood? There is the struggle of having to travel tremendous distances from the ghetto to get to decent schools and even fitting in academically to a good school after attending poor schools.

There is nothing wrong with letting a poor child live in a safe, pleasant neighborhood with children whose parents make 4 or 5 times what that child's parents make.

Not acceptable at all.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:38 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,338,648 times
I think as long as the person is working and doing the best they can then maybe they deserve the help but probably for every one person doing it right theres probably 2 or 3 just using the system. I have some relitives who are good at abusing the system.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
And of course my experience is anecdotal, but a lot of what you said did ring true. And why just let them " enjoy their lives"? WE ARE PAYING FOR THEM TO DO WHATEVER THEY WANT. I am sorry, when I was 18...my parents gently told me to LEAVE. I am now a man who has worked ****TY jobs and took loans out to go to school. I am better for this. If I lived off my parents and did nothing all day, how would that help me? That is basically what your saying. People living off the government doing nothing is fine.
You assume that ALL of the people who live off the government aren't doing anything. THAT is wrong. I would expect someone who has worked with people who receive government aid to understand that there are great deal of people who are on welfare who do go to work and school.

There are people who live in the projects who are in college. There are people who live in the projects who do take out loans for school.

It is ridiculous to compare your parents "gently" telling you to leave at 18 to someone your age who has three children, their parents are in jail or on drugs, and they have next to no education. Not the same. I am sure that if you fell low enough your parents would have stepped in. If these people fall, there is often no one to step in. Unless you want to see people begging and starving on the streets Bangladesh-style, I think you will agree that welfare can be a positive social program.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Yes, we ARE helping them to survive. Shelter is one of the basic principles of survival. Helping people to afford shelter that they would could not afford on their own, IMO, is helping people survive.

Section 8 is not about helping people get educations. It is about subsidizing housing so the poor aren't crowded in slums. We have government programs to help people who can't afford education receive funding. Conservatives regularly trash those programs too. Welfare does have a limit. People can no longer sit on welfare for years and years. Welfare does have a component to it where people have to go through job training to continue their benefits. Also, quite a few people on welfare DO have jobs. What in the world are you talking about with benefits of a family? A two parent home? Having children in wedlock? All American families do not share the same value system. This is 2010, not 1950. By the time a woman has four children at 23, lecturing her about these "benefits" is kind of pointless, wouldn't you say?

Who cares what choice you give people concentrated in an impoverished neighborhood? There is the struggle of having to travel tremendous distances from the ghetto to get to decent schools and even fitting in academically to a good school after attending poor schools.

There is nothing wrong with letting a poor child live in a safe, pleasant neighborhood with children whose parents make 4 or 5 times what that child's parents make.

Not acceptable at all.

Its the year 2010, so now kids do not want moms AND dads??? HAHAH I love people trying to rationalize things that can't. If you want a baby, have a two parent household. Of course this can't always be the case, but it has NEVER been the case. But to foster the idea that a single parent house is preferred, which welfare encourages, is wrong.

And you simply just do not know what you are saying, most section 8 housing IS THE SLUMS. Its just subsidized by the government.

Anyways, "give a man a fish, he'll eat for the day, teach a man to fish, he'll eat for a lifetime" Or something like that...

Old 09-19-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I think as long as the person is working and doing the best they can then maybe they deserve the help but probably for every one person doing it right theres probably 2 or 3 just using the system. I have some relitives who are good at abusing the system.
EXACTLY

Same with unemployment benefits. I have a 22 year friend who is in school full time, worked for 7 months...got lied off, and now has been recieving benifits for the last 8 months. Does he deserve these benefits? NO

But there should be reform, a family of 5 SHOULD continue to receive benefits etc.

The problem with section 8 housing, a long with other welfare policies is that people LIVE off them for life. In one way or another. These people are takers, and not producers.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
You assume that ALL of the people who live off the government aren't doing anything. THAT is wrong. I would expect someone who has worked with people who receive government aid to understand that there are great deal of people who are on welfare who do go to work and school.

There are people who live in the projects who are in college. There are people who live in the projects who do take out loans for school.

It is ridiculous to compare your parents "gently" telling you to leave at 18 to someone your age who has three children, their parents are in jail or on drugs, and they have next to no education. Not the same. I am sure that if you fell low enough your parents would have stepped in. If these people fall, there is often no one to step in. Unless you want to see people begging and starving on the streets Bangladesh-style, I think you will agree that welfare can be a positive social program.

No, I do not assume that. I would say a MAJORITY do though. Which is enough to cause concern. Yes, I did see some people who I down right felt sorry for, this is why I support Reforms and not abolishing Section 8.

Hey, you have a point. But that is where WELFARE is suppose to come in. To help people who on their last leg. Not provide a lifestyle to live by.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Its the year 2010, so now kids do not want moms AND dads??? HAHAH I love people trying to rationalize things that can't. If you want a baby, have a two parent household. Of course this can't always be the case, but it has NEVER been the case. But to foster the idea that a single parent house is preferred, which welfare encourages, is wrong.

And you simply just do not know what you are saying, most section 8 housing IS THE SLUMS. Its just subsidized by the government.

Anyways, "give a man a fish, he'll eat for the day, teach a man to fish, he'll eat for a lifetime" Or something like that...
Are you serious? What do WANTS have to do with this debate? I would expect any and everyone over the age of two to understand that life doesn't always give you what you want. The FACT is that we have transitioned from a society of primarily two parent households to a society of primarily single parent households. That's the way it is.

Instead of running government from how the "moral" right thinks society SHOULD operate, we need to run government from how society IS operating.

You sound like you have no idea what you're talking about. If you look at Chciago, a good amount of Section 8 housing that has resulted from the destruction of nearly all of that city's high rise projects is in middle-class neighborhoods.

Stop quoting the Bible to help your argument. Come back to Earth and realize that everyone is not going to live on the "godly" path that you dream of. Just because these people deviate from how YOU were raised and taught doesn't mean they need to suffer for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies