Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 05:24 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times

Advertisements

I think that we should let as many American citizens as possible die from starvation and lack of housing. Who needs the basics?

Kill them all; they deserve it.

(Just so long as it's not me or mine)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I think as long as the person is working and doing the best they can then maybe they deserve the help but probably for every one person doing it right theres probably 2 or 3 just using the system. I have some relitives who are good at abusing the system.
Got some stats on that?
And if your family is illegally obtaining benefits and you're not turning them in, you're part of the problem, not the solution.
Is this something you really want to brag about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 09:41 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshthegreat View Post
Its the year 2010, so now kids do not want moms AND dads??? HAHAH I love people trying to rationalize things that can't. If you want a baby, have a two parent household. Of course this can't always be the case, but it has NEVER been the case. But to foster the idea that a single parent house is preferred, which welfare encourages, is wrong.

And you simply just do not know what you are saying, most section 8 housing IS THE SLUMS. Its just subsidized by the government.
This observation hit the nail on the head.

Something else to note in passing is that you can bet your bottom dollar that the liberal types who defend Section 8 apartment housing as a consolidated area are not going to be ones who actually live in them. If they did, they would see them for what they really are. Which are high-crime, filthy, gang-infested areas, generally populated by trashy people who make little effort to help themselves, have a welfare generational sense of entitlement, and prey and leech off/on government and society in general. Sorry, but that is reality.

Quote:
Anyways, "give a man a fish, he'll eat for the day, teach a man to fish, he'll eat for a lifetime" Or something like that...
Actually, I think it goes: Give a man a fish and you have fed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you have taught him how to drink beer all day!

Old 09-20-2010, 10:06 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
I think its pretty simple.

If you want people to work, pay them decent wages so that they can live a healthy and happy lifestyle.

When people aren't happy, they're not productive, motivated, or working towards their full capabilities. It's hard to be happy when you have no positive role models, positive career goals/paths, and people are getting killed and dying from drug/alcohol use all around you.

America has some of the most dangerous cities in the world.

There's a reason there's a violent underclass in this country.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:53 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I think its pretty simple.

If you want people to work, pay them decent wages so that they can live a healthy and happy lifestyle.

When people aren't happy, they're not productive, motivated, or working towards their full capabilities. It's hard to be happy when you have no positive role models, positive career goals/paths, and people are getting killed and dying from drug/alcohol use all around you.

America has some of the most dangerous cities in the world.

There's a reason there's a violent underclass in this country.
In a free society, the marketplace determines wage worth. This "liveable" and "decent" wage mantra to make someone healthy and happy so they won't have a choice but to pursue a life of crime is a great sound-byte and platform for politicians. But economic reality is something different.

It takes no great skill to flip burgers or wash cars, and no business could stay in business if they were forced to pay a salary far and away artifically inflated from what the job entails. Here is a good column on the subject:

Capitalism Magazine - What Causes Unemployment? (http://www.capitalismmagazine.com/economics/price-controls/4472-What-Causes-Unemployment.html - broken link)

But then again, leftist politicians and demogouges are not the type to actually have to run businesses and truly create wealth and jobs.

You are right that there is a reason for such a violent underclass in this country. But the bottom line reason is usually not because no jobs are available, but because of their own life choices and the sense of entitlement many of the said class have. And too, they think they can get away with a predatory lifestyle (and, in our permissive society, they are right, in a sense...). And have bought into that their lot in life is not their fault, but always someone elses...

Old 09-20-2010, 12:34 PM

449 posts, read 934,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
It has plenty to do with the conversation. I see guys like the OP ALWAYS bellyaching about these Section 8 types, and it's essentially misguided anger. "Pockets of crime" my arse, the bottom line is that these types of threads are created to play judge and jury (complete with anecdotal evidence) so people like you can take out your anger on a group of people you feel are less than yourselves. That's about it.

It's not REALLY about tax money, or the perceived waste of tax money. It's about finding a group of people for you to shyt on and point the finger at. If you were sincerely concerned about tax cheats/welfare mommas you'd look to corporations who do more damage to the everyday lives of American citizens with their loop holes and subsidies.
Boy you really hit the nail on the head. It has nothing at all to do with what happens to neighborhoods when criminals are provided with a free base of operations.

Can you seriously deny that the people on section 8 bring crime with them? You see, this is the problem with this forum. People can not have an intelligent conversation about anything because of this type of ridiculous nonsense.

My neighborhood is becoming infested with section 8 and all hell is breaking loose. A nearby apartment complex has drug dealers hanging out doing business in the parking lot and the police are there daily.

Around the corner are numerous million dollar homes built before this began. How would you like to work all of your life to afford the house of your dreams only to have your tax money used to move criminals into apartments down the street? And then, to make things worse, know that your home will be worth pennies on the dollar when you go to sell it.

Why is it so many people here like to discuss their fantasy version of how things are instead of how they really are? Why can't people discuss things intelligently instead of posting some pity based nonsense about Section 8 helping people. I don't give a rat's behind about helping people when it means destroying entire neighborhoods of good, hard working people.

Why can't we discuss any issue like grown-ups.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:23 PM

71 posts, read 111,097 times
Yeah, to anyone who is HONEST answer me this: If you are looking for apartments...and see SECTION 8 welcome....do you keep looking at those apartments are look at another place?

Also, I think I should note that the lady who called me a right winger christian and that I am trying to push my morals on others has yet to respond to my question of where she got that information.

Also, Another question the lady seemed to not like to answer, do babies today prefer moms and dads or just moms? I did not say what the reality is for a lot of people, but if they had a choice, what do you think the answer is? See, I point this out because YES there will be single parent households, and thats fine. BUT, we should not subsidize the practice and encourage it as " Oh well...times have changed" as the lady seemed to insist.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-25-2010 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:41 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,868 times
Some inconvenient truths about social engineering and forcing diversity for diversity's sake-

The Atlantic-

American Murder Mystery
Why is crime rising in so many American cities? The answer implicates one of the most celebrated antipoverty programs of recent decades.

Boston.com-

The Downside of Diversity.
A Harvard political scientist finds that diversity hurts civic life. What happens when a liberal scholar unearths an inconvenient truth?

Old 09-20-2010, 01:46 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Yeah, to anyone who is HONEST answer me this: If you are looking for apartments...and see SECTION 8 welcome....do you keep looking at those apartments are look at another place?

Also, I think I should note that the lady who called me a right winger christian and that I am trying to push my morals on others has yet to respond to my question of where she got that information.

Also, Another question the lady seemed to not like to answer, do babies today prefer moms and dads or just moms? I did not say what the reality is for a lot of people, but if they had a choice, what do you think the answer is? See, I point this out because YES there will be single parent households, and thats fine. BUT, we should not subsidize the practice and encourage it as " Oh well...times have changed" as the lady seemed to insist.
I'm a liberal, and yes, I will pass by a complex or neighborhood that says 'section 8 welcome'. We don't have many in my area though, so I generally don't have to worry about it. Although it is a little disconcerting to see people renting out $2000 a month beach houses and accepting section 8. I've worked my butt off and can barely afford a small 1 bedroom 20 miles inland. Jealous? Perhaps. Irritated that someone who made poor life decisions gets an ocean view? Perhaps.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-25-2010 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 09-20-2010, 02:04 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:

Also, I think I should note that the lady who called me a right winger christian and that I am trying to push my morals on others has yet to respond to my question of where she got that information. Are you a right wing christer? If the answer is yes, then what's the problem?

Do you think a baby knows or cares who is taking care of it as long as its needs are met?
You would prefer violence and hatred in a household to have two parental units? Because sometimes that's the only other choice.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-25-2010 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 09-20-2010, 06:30 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,008,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dawg View Post
So let me get this straight... I have no say in how others live their lives, yet the very same people have a right to MY hard-earned money?
Seeing as it's not YOUR hard earned money but OUR hard earned money, you get no more say than anyone else in how OTHER people live. Your opinion is no more important that of others. Please read up on what living in a democratic society means.

You don't have the right to delegate how others live no matter how much you think your opinion is the most valuable around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies