Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2010, 08:07 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
I have had people actually say they think this is "terrifying" and yes, it's an extreme reaction.

There is nothing wrong with the Ten Commandments (IMO, and I'm not religious). Many nonbelievers do have morals though, ones they've set for themselves. Morals from a humanistic approach, not a religious, dogmatic standpoint. I agree many in today's society have no morals-but many who claim x religion are not exactly moral either.

The atheistic campaign regarding the signs on buses-that is extreme and does not reflect what the majority of nonbelievers want to do.
Nor do the high profile charlatans represent ALL Christians. Each time a so-called minister’s transgressions are publicized, non-believers are quick to say, “See, Christians are hypocrites.” No, Christians are not hypocrites, “some” Christians are hypocrites. Likewise, “some” atheists/agnostics are hypocrites. After all, we are human beings, and all human beings have faults.

It’s interesting that Christians in general are painted with the same brush as Christian extremists, yet the non-believer extremists ONLY speak for themselves, and are ALWAYS representative of a very small minority.

I have been a Christian all of my life, and I have never tried to force my beliefs on anyone. If you believe, fine. If you don't believe, fine. Nor do I ridicule or belittle non-believers. Yet, on a daily basis I read posts berating Christians for simply believing in God, or the ever-popular “sky daddy” reference. We are considered ignorant, superstitious, gullible, and mindless sheeple for daring to believe. However, it is perfectly acceptable for a person NOT to believe. In my opinion, that’s the height of hypocrisy.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:14 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,528,815 times
Christianity is still violent. What about Serbia's war against Muslims? Northern Ireland anyone - that was not so long ago. And conservative Christian support for Israel as it takes the land and water fo people already living there. And the violence against gays aka trhe trip to Uganda among religious conservatives which has led to an extermiation campaign.

Not to mention the child abuse conservative Christians wage against gay minors. It amounts to child rape. Imagine telling a child what he or she can do with their sex organs, telling them whom they can love. That takes place every day in this nation, in every city and every town.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
Christianity is still violent. What about Serbia's war against Muslims? Northern Ireland anyone - that was not so long ago. And conservative Christian support for Israel as it takes the land and water fo people already living there. And the violence against gays aka trhe trip to Uganda among religious conservatives which has led to an extermiation campaign.

Not to mention the child abuse conservative Christians wage against gay minors. It amounts to child rape. Imagine telling a child what he or she can do with their sex organs, telling them whom they can love. That takes place every day in this nation, in every city and every town.
There are countless millions of Christians in this world. Are we ALL responsible for the behavior of a select group? Do you blame ALL Muslims for the suicide bombings or the attacks on 9/11?

Old 11-23-2010, 08:25 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtruth View Post
Absolutely, and so does Islam. However, I think the relevant point is that bias in the MODERN world towards MODERN Christians.
Welcome to the marketplace of ideas.

Forget your ATM card?

Old 11-23-2010, 08:28 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Nor do the high profile charlatans represent ALL Christians. Each time a so-called minister’s transgressions are publicized, non-believers are quick to say, “See, Christians are hypocrites.” No, Christians are not hypocrites, “some” Christians are hypocrites. Likewise, “some” atheists/agnostics are hypocrites. After all, we are human beings, and all human beings have faults.

It’s interesting that Christians in general are painted with the same brush as Christian extremists, yet the non-believer extremists ONLY speak for themselves, and are ALWAYS representative of a very small minority.

I have been a Christian all of my life, and I have never tried to force my beliefs on anyone. If you believe, fine. If you don't believe, fine. Nor do I ridicule or belittle non-believers. Yet, on a daily basis I read posts berating Christians for simply believing in God, or the ever-popular “sky daddy” reference. We are considered ignorant, superstitious, gullible, and mindless sheeple for daring to believe. However, it is perfectly acceptable for a person NOT to believe. In my opinion, that’s the height of hypocrisy.

It is not really hypocrisy because it is not a 50:50 situation to begin with. If we apply your thinking to trials it would be like saying arriving at a verdict based on hope and expectation is as justified as arriving at a verdict based on evidence.
For us atheists it is weird and even embarrassing to watch adults be so childish as to believe in beings whose existence has never been proved since the beginning of mankind. The whole idea that people believing in some god think they will be better off than the rest (that is what people praying for this and that eventually do, they hope for intervention in their favor and thus at the expense and against the will of others) is kind of unworthy of modern humans.
One can be decent, hopeful and optimistic without religion, too. There are millions of us who prove that every day.
Apart from that, most atheists don't really care what Christians or Jews or Muslims believe, as long as those don't start to molest them with their nonsense.

Last edited by Neuling; 11-23-2010 at 08:43 AM..

Old 11-23-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
It is not really hypocrisy because it is not a 50:50 situation to begin with. If we apply your thinking to law suits it would be like saying arriving at a verdict based on hope and expectation is as justified as arriving at a verdict based on evidence.
For us atheists it is weird and even embarrassing to watch adults be so childish as to believe in beings whose existence has never been proved since the beginning of mankind. The whole idea that people believing in some god think they will be better off than the rest (that is what people praying for this and that eventually do, they hope for intervention in their favor and thus at the expense and against the will of others) is kind of unworthy of modern humans.
One can be decent, hopeful and optimistic without religion, too. There are millions of us who prove that every day.
I agree that people are capable of being decent without a belief in God. I have never stated otherwise. I personally know loving, giving, moral people who are non-believers. My only complaint is the vitriol and hatred displayed toward Christians.

I am fine with your belief in the nonexistence of God. I may not understand how you hold that belief, but I respect your right to believe as you choose. Why can’t you reciprocate? Why is my belief so unacceptable? Neither of us can “prove” we are right, so why is your belief superior to mine?

Old 11-23-2010, 09:10 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
I agree that people are capable of being decent without a belief in God. I have never stated otherwise. I personally know loving, giving, moral people who are non-believers. My only complaint is the vitriol and hatred displayed toward Christians.

I am fine with your belief in the nonexistence of God. I may not understand how you hold that belief, but I respect your right to believe as you choose. Why can’t you reciprocate? Why is my belief so unacceptable? Neither of us can “prove” we are right, so why is your belief superior to mine?
I have no problem with you believing in gods, as long as I do not feel molested by it. To me your belief is like second-hand smoke. I don't care if people smoke in their homes and I am thus not confronted with it. But when they blow their religious smoke into my face for instance by praying in my presence, I feel molested.
Is smoking as reasonable as not smoking? I don't think so. It is not a 50:50 situation where one position makes as much sense as the other.

As for proving anything. How can one prove or disprove something whose properties not even believers can specify... Now, it would be just as reasonable if I claimed there are 17 transsexual deities looking like Miss Piggy who created the world by impregnating each other in an orgy at 3:14am on a Tuesday a long time ago Would that belief make any sense? Can you or anyone prove or disprove any of it? What's the consequence of your answer? That it makes sense for anyone to believe anything they want?

Old 11-23-2010, 09:54 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,978,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
There are all kinds of crazy cults out there, even atheist cults. I don't think Charlie Manson prayed or talked about Jesus except to convince his followers he was the high supreme being and they should kill for him.

I know strong Christians who rejected some crazies because of their strong faith and knew a charlatan when they saw one.
Do you not see the irony in the bolded statements? Honestly do you not see the craziness of being a "strong Christian?" Do be a "strong Christian" you have to believe: in a magical sky deity that hears all of our thoughts, sees all of our deeds, intervenes in our daily lives from time to time, helped Moses part a large body of water, butchered and slaughtered millions of people in the Old Testament, is part of a Trinity, became man and lived on earth for roughly thirty-three years, was crucified, buried, and rose again on the third day all of this to give mankind a collective pardon from God's vengeful wrath. Oh and if you're a Catholic you have to believe that an all powerful, all knowing, all mighty God is contained in a cracker and wine.

A "strong Christian" must believe all of that with little to no evidence any of it ever took place. The only proof they have is a book written by various authors between 2-6000 years ago. Not only that, but most "strong Christians" believe that earth was created in six literal days, roughly 6000 years ago, and God rested on the 7th day. Again, this is in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary.

So really who is anyone of religious adherence to criticize any other cult or religion? It's all crazy, you just don't think so because of years of indoctrination and brainwashing.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:

I don't care what you believe, as long as you keep it in your home or church. I agree with the poster that likened it to smoking. Keep your religion out of my face and out of my government and we'll get along swimmingly.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
There are countless millions of Christians in this world. Are we ALL responsible for the behavior of a select group? Do you blame ALL Muslims for the suicide bombings or the attacks on 9/11?
No but I've seen plenty of "strong Christians" on this very forum painting Islam with a broad brush of violence. Don't like it when the shoe's on the other foot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies