Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 07:11 AM

70 posts, read 39,669 times

Advertisements

New Obama aide: Wall Street needs 'tough cop' - The Oval: Tracking the Obama presidency

"The new law creates a chance to put a tough cop on the beat and provide real accountability and oversight of the consumer credit market,"

I am sure the big banks are shaking in their boots.

Real accountability, please tell me Ms Warren how the federal Government is going to hold a bank with a couple hundred billion in holdings accountable?

Are you going to fire the entire Board of Directors?

Are you going to fine them a couple million that they earn in an hour or two?

What exactly is real accountability?

The truth is Ms. Warren the big banks are your boss. You have no authority to hold them accountable.

The only accountability is to eliminate too big to fail. The big banks operate as if there is no risk to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 07:18 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
The real problem is that Wall Street dances to the drummers in Saudi Arabia, Abu Dhabi, Singapore and Peking.

I suggest one way to discipline Wall Street banks and investment companies would be to hold the officers and board members responsible for corporate failure to the full extent of their personal fortunes for at least five years after they leave the company. This would discourage economically risky behavior.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:21 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertarianMan View Post
New Obama aide: Wall Street needs 'tough cop' - The Oval: Tracking the Obama presidency

"The new law creates a chance to put a tough cop on the beat and provide real accountability and oversight of the consumer credit market,"

I am sure the big banks are shaking in their boots.

Real accountability, please tell me Ms Warren how the federal Government is going to hold a bank with a couple hundred billion in holdings accountable?

Are you going to fire the entire Board of Directors?

Are you going to fine them a couple million that they earn in an hour or two?

What exactly is real accountability?

The truth is Ms. Warren the big banks are your boss. You have no authority to hold them accountable.

The only accountability is to eliminate too big to fail. The big banks operate as if there is no risk to them.
I posted a thread about this yesterday. A few have already started bashing a woman who is on the side of the consumer against the vultures and Obama for appointing her.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...elizabeth.html

Old 09-17-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I posted a thread about this yesterday. A few have already started bashing a woman who is on the side of the consumer against the vultures and Obama for appointing her.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...elizabeth.html
Its not her fault. Of course the American consumer needs some protection. But it will not come from Government. Correction-It can not.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The real problem is that Wall Street dances to the drummers in Saudi Arabia, Abu Dhabi, Singapore and Peking.

I suggest one way to discipline Wall Street banks and investment companies would be to hold the officers and board members responsible for corporate failure to the full extent of their personal fortunes for at least five years after they leave the company. This would discourage economically risky behavior.
Madoff had his personal fortunes dismantled but he actually broke the law. Unless they break the law what are you holding them accountable for? How is taking their personal fortunes justified?

Remember the financial crisis had nothing to do with illegal activities just very risky activities. Unfortunately the banks beared none of the risk only the consumers did. Until the Banks start bearing their own risks there will be no accountability.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Its not her fault. Of course the American consumer needs some protection. But it will not come from Government. Correction-It can not.
Who will the protection come from? Are you suggesting that the thievery should continue unaddressed?

Old 09-17-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Who will the protection come from? Are you suggesting that the thievery should continue unaddressed?
You may not like my answer but there are two places it would come from:

1) Why did Banks in Canada not fail? It was not because of fruitless regulations preventing them from taking risks it was because they knew if they took stupid risks, in a BS American housing boom, they would be doomed.
American banks - now more then ever still believe and conduct business as if they have the full backing of the US treasury. Imagine that! They pass all the risk on to us. That has to stop and the only way to stop it is to push the risk back on them.

2) We have to put some, not all, of the onus on the consumers- us.
Post melt down I hope consumers have gained some wisdom. Start questioning your financial advisors more. If you do not know about something get second and third opinions. If money is important to you treat it like it is important to you. If you are going to gamble for yields way ahead of the curve you better understand you can lose. Diversify.

I know it may sound harsh but it is the only way to prevent mayhem from striking the financial system again. There will be economic downturns from time to time regardless but their severity can defintiely be reduced.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:18 AM

National Post editorial board: Canadian banks should be studied, not taxed - Full Comment (http://network.nationalpost.com/NP/blogs/fullcomment/archive/2010/05/05/national-post-editorial-board-canadian-banks-should-be-studied-not-taxed.aspx - broken link)

Old 09-17-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
You may not like my answer but there are two places it would come from:

1) Why did Banks in Canada not fail? It was not because of fruitless regulations preventing them from taking risks it was because they knew if they took stupid risks, in a BS American housing boom, they would be doomed.
American banks - now more then ever still believe and conduct business as if they have the full backing of the US treasury. Imagine that! They pass all the risk on to us. That has to stop and the only way to stop it is to push the risk back on them.

2) We have to put some, not all, of the onus on the consumers- us.
Post melt down I hope consumers have gained some wisdom. Start questioning your financial advisors more. If you do not know about something get second and third opinions. If money is important to you treat it like it is important to you. If you are going to gamble for yields way ahead of the curve you better understand you can lose. Diversify.

I know it may sound harsh but it is the only way to prevent mayhem from striking the financial system again. There will be economic downturns from time to time regardless but their severity can defintiely be reduced.
Yes, privatize the profits, socialize the losses. Too big to fail my a$$!!!

Old 09-17-2010, 09:48 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
She should have been vetted by Congress. Another czar with massive power unvetted by the people's elected representatives. Yep, all the transparency the big 0 promised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies