Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 12:46 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,041,798 times

Advertisements

Legalization is a terrible word to use when talking about pot or any other drug. We should be championing decriminalization not legalization. There is a big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 02:02 AM

948 posts, read 1,386,409 times
Marijuana, is no worse then alcohol. While it may not be any better either that is irrelevant to the OP's question. Most pot smokers hang on the couch eating fruit loops and potato chips. Maybe the occasional outburst of laughter. The same driving laws and Domestic laws have to apply for my support. I don't know how or if levels of pot related intoxication can be tested but that has to be the in law or it wont get my support.

Peyote, Silvia, Hallucinogens are dangerous to the other people that you may encounter. Hallucinogens alter reality. When your drug makes you see people that ain't there or don't see someone that is that's the line.

While I don't oppose the use in a religious setting the use should be based on tradition going back many years. If not Eds church of perpetual tracers will pop up like hippies at a twinkie drop. In a traditional Native American setting when Peyote or Silvia is used it is in a controlled environment.

I am not a smoker mostly because all it dose to me is make me sleepy. There's not thrill for me. How ever that doesn't mean that its not OK for others.
I knew a guy in GA, 60 year old hippie. The cops tossed him in jail because of one pot plant. He did 6 months because none of his friends could afford the bail.
It was ridiculous for a 60 year old man to be in a felony pod with murders and violent offenders for a pot plant. When I met him he was looking for a job because his old job and bills could not be put on hold waiting for him to get out. Still makes me mad to think about.
While I am I suppose what you call a proponent I am not an activist on the matter. So even though I think its a good idea I don't have a plan to do so. I can't offer that. However google Marijuana initiative. Here's a few links, Pro, Anti and general reporting

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...1-03-pot_x.htm

Colorado Employers Face Quandary On Medical Marijuana - Business News - Portfolio.com

Colorado Schools Grapple with Medical Marijuana Law, Policy

Marijuana and Alcohol Prohibition

Colorado nabbed $7 million in medical marijuana fees this weekend « Colorado Independent

Marijuana - Colorado Drug Threat Assessment

Top 10 Pros and Cons - Medical Marijuana - ProCon.org

Last edited by Dewmik; 09-21-2010 at 02:15 AM..

Old 09-21-2010, 04:54 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,596,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Legalization is a terrible word to use when talking about pot or any other drug. We should be championing decriminalization not legalization. There is a big difference.
I agree with you about no jail time for minor pot users, but judge still needs latitude to be able to throw the book at them if they are stoned all the time so the judge can send them to rehab, especially in child custody cases.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:56 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,596,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelution View Post
The title probably is misleading, so let me straighten it out....

I just want to know why so many people are against psychoactive drugs that are grown from the ground. I.e - Marijuana, Peyote, Salvia, etc.

Why is the government so against legalizing them when they know for a fact it would generate large amounts of money.

I'm not suggesting the legalization of all drugs (psychoactive or not) like heroin or cocaine. There's obviously a line that shouldn't be crossed.

I just wish people were more open-minded on this subject. And that the youth could have a better perception of it, not just "you smoke weed, you'll do crack and become homeless..."
I think a more important issue would be to give amnesty to folks who DO clean up their act, so that they can apply for federal college loans and grants, and other entitlements and benefits.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:20 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
I just want to know why so many people are against psychoactive drugs that are grown from the ground. I.e - Marijuana, Peyote, Salvia, etc.
There's 47 people who could give a really good answer to that question except a dope-smoking mechanic forgot to torque down the Jesus-nut and that caused the rotor of their helicopter to come off and disintegrate in-flight and they crashed and died.

I suppose we could tax the dope to buy parachutes for those who regularly fly.

So, the lesson here is that dope-smoking is a form of population control so maybe the US should grow it and export it.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:41 AM

126 posts, read 224,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
There's 47 people who could give a really good answer to that question except a dope-smoking mechanic forgot to torque down the Jesus-nut and that caused the rotor of their helicopter to come off and disintegrate in-flight and they crashed and died.

So, the lesson here is that dope-smoking is a form of population control so maybe the US should grow it and export it.
replace dope-smoking with alchoholic...
soft drugs are illegal because it is associated with social undesirables.
see the history of drugs and why it became illegal. history channel is your friend.

-a|ex

Old 09-21-2010, 07:31 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Quote:

Why is the government so against legalizing them when they know for a fact it would generate large amounts of money.

I'm not suggesting the legalization of all drugs (psychoactive or not) like heroin or cocaine. There's obviously a line that shouldn't be crossed.

I just wish people were more open-minded on this subject. And that the youth could have a better perception of it, not just "you smoke weed, you'll do crack and become homeless..."
Why shouldn't cocaine and heroin be legal as well?

Old 09-21-2010, 07:47 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
Quote:
You are right not everyone who smokes weed ends up doing crack and becomes homeless. But some do.
Not everyone who commits crimes end up in jail. But some do.
Not everyone who drives recklessly ends up injuring/killing themselves or other passengers. But some do.
And the list continues.

When you are a parent, you have no way of knowing if or if not your child will suffer the worst consequence possible regarding their choices. So, you lay it all down on the line for them.
It would be absurd for a parent to try to better the perception of the possible end result that could ruin their child's life.
It isn't about being open minded or closed minded. It is about loving someone enough to try to protect them.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:56 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:

Call me old-fashioned, but I am strictly against all drugs except in the sense of medicine prescribed by a doctor.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:52 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Such a response is evidence that many people are simply incapable of discussing the topic in a rational manner. Yours automatically assumes someone in a vital industry, in this case a chopper mechanic, will be lit up like a Christmas tree on the job. You blatantly ignore that most people drink in approved places or at home. Likewise most people who do such work avoid the 5 Martini lunch. Why would they not treat pot the same way?

And of course they do. There is nothing stopping people from getting stoned on the job now. And most do not. Just as most do not keep a pint of vodka in their raincoat by the desk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies