Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 02:03 PM

10 posts, read 8,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Why break out cocaine and heroin from marijuana? They're drugs that are obtained from plants. Just as hallucinogenic mushrooms are. And meth and LSD are just some chemicals.

You might want to ask yourself why cocaine and meth should be as commonly and easily available as beer and wine - and if you have ever known someone addicted to meth or cocaine, you might understand the problem some people have in accepting these drugs.
Your missing the point - people who are addicted to cocaine, heroin, meth, etc may be addicted to marijuana but not vice versa. You can't be addicted to pot. I've smoked on and off for years and never go through withdrawal symptoms bc/ there aren't any. If it's there, I'll smoke it, but if not, I'm not feigning for it.
Also, heroin is semi-synthetic - it doesn't grow straight up from the ground. You have to extract a chemical from the opium poppy and add more to it to get heroin. It's not the same thing as eating a mushroom from the ground or smoking a leaf.

Just to clarify, I believe that the people who are addicted to cocaine and everything else who are also "addicted" to weed aren't technically addicted to weed. Most just use it as a fall back drug when they can't get anything else and its those people who need real help. They are trying to escape reality through any means necessary whether it be meth, pot, alcohol, mouthwash, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 03:01 PM

1,963 posts, read 1,823,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Prostitution generates "lots of money" too and does less damage to society.
The "damage to society" rhetoric is simply used to get people behind prohibiting something with little or no facts to support the prohibition. Who gets to decide what is good and bad for society? If its not hurting anyone else, whats the problem?

The only reason it's illegal, is because the money can't be taxed. Same with drugs (along with pharm, prison/police lobbies). If Uncle Sam can't get his share, then it must be evil.

Real Crimes: Theft, Murder, Rape, Fraud, Anything Else Violence-related.

Last edited by k.smith904; 09-21-2010 at 03:18 PM..

Old 09-21-2010, 03:38 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelution View Post
Drugs such as Marijuana, and Peyote are fully grown from the ground. There is no chemicals being added to it. While Cocaine and Heroin use ingredients from the ground, there are chemicals that are added to it that can....no...will kill you. No matter how much Marijuana you smoke you can never "overdose" on it. It's impossible. Try doing the same with Heroin and you're good as dead. There are obvious differences between them...
But there are thousands upon thousands of heroin and cocaine addicts around the world...

I find you wanting to deny them their right to use whatever drug they choose hypocritical.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:44 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
Could someone provide a modern study showing Marijuana is not addictive?

From the quick search online,it appears it IS addictive.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:57 PM

448 posts, read 534,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
I also find it rather ridiculous that pot may become legal yet steroids will probably still be classified as Schedule III. I have no desire to smoke weed but I have no problems using a little testosterone to gain some muscle, lose some fat, and feel better through hard work in the gym and strict dieting.
...And I have no desire to gain muscle, lose some fat and have my testes shrivel up, but I have no problem using a little Marijuana to relax, and feel better....What's your point??

Old 09-21-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Prostitution generates "lots of money" too and does less damage to society.
Legalize it.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Could someone provide a modern study showing Marijuana is not addictive?

From the quick search online,it appears it IS addictive.
....You can search "Marijuana is addictive" and "Marijuana isn't addictive" online and sh*t will come up for both of them. If you're reading that it is...you're becoming more misinformed...

Old 09-21-2010, 04:17 PM

948 posts, read 1,386,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I live in an apartment complex. Don't want to participate in your drug high through the walls. If you want to eat it and get stupid, fine by me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
How does one participate in a drug high through the walls?
That's actually a valid point. New construction apartments are put up so fast and not insulated between the units.
Some places don't allow cigarette smoking and some towns have laws that you can't smoke in an apartment that has shared walls.
The way around it it is apply the smoking law to marijuana.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:26 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,190,050 times
Americans consume more drugs than any other nation. Many probably eat Tylenol, Advil, and Aleve by the handfuls.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Americans consume more drugs than any other nation. Many probably eat Tylenol, Advil, and Aleve by the handfuls.
So why not legalizing substances such as Marijuana and tax the hell out of it? People use it, why not make a substancial amount of money off it? (If the vote for the legalization of it is passed in Cali, the gov estimates over 1 billion dollars in tax revenue every year from it...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies