Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 10:44 AM

117 posts, read 367,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Unfortunately, her case is par for the course. Millions of illegals are fleecing this country, and laughing all the way to the bank. Yet, all opposition is based on racism and xenophobia.
Yes, I see your point. I have nothing against any race. I get angry at white American citizens who abuse taxpayer-funded programs too (I have dealt with SS disability scammers before who were white Americans).
I just don't understand how someone who doesn't even have a social security number gets public housing and disability. Who is helping these people get around the laws? How are they managing to do this? You would think there would be some kind of screening process for people trying to get on the dole. What's going wrong in the system to allow this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 11:12 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,743,388 times
Disgusting...I live in MA and cannot believe her arrogance.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:52 AM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i'll bet he was. talk about trying to maintain one's composure..

still can't find any info on last night's interview, other than that it took place.
Did you see this?

WBZ-TV Video Archive - wbztv.com

Old 09-22-2010, 12:06 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyblue09 View Post
Yes, I see your point. I have nothing against any race. I get angry at white American citizens who abuse taxpayer-funded programs too (I have dealt with SS disability scammers before who were white Americans).
I just don't understand how someone who doesn't even have a social security number gets public housing and disability. Who is helping these people get around the laws? How are they managing to do this? You would think there would be some kind of screening process for people trying to get on the dole. What's going wrong in the system to allow this?
Therein lies the problem. Our government agencies are replete with ineptitude. I’m not suggesting that all government employees are inept, because they aren’t. However, they are lacking oversight. Policies are implemented, but they aren’t enforced. This is the same reason the IRS “erroneously” issues millions of dollars in refunds, including to non-citizens. Those funds are rarely ever recouped.

Quote:
Roughly 14,100 Americans have received erroneous creditstotalling more than $26.7 million—through the program, the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration estimated in a report Wednesday. Notably, more than $9 million in credits went to prisoners who were locked up when they reported buying a house. J. Russell George, the Treasury's inspector general, called the findings "very troubling."
Home Buyer Tax Credit: Fraud, Errors Persist - US News and World Report

Quote:
At least two months before the IRS mistakenly began paying an estimated $200 million in fraudulent or erroneous 2006 tax refunds, the agency was warned about potentially "catastrophic" problems in a new computer being developed to avert such a blunder.
How the IRS failed to stop $200M in bogus refunds - USATODAY.com

It is also the reason fraud is rampant in the food stamp program and Medicare. I watched a program a few weeks ago which exposed Medicare fraud. They interviewed a guy who had made millions by defrauding Medicare. He said it’s as easy as taking candy from a baby. He explained how they would use an address, any address, as their medical “office.” Then, they would purchase a list of medical codes and the names and SSNs of legitimate patients covered by Medicare. They would then bill Medicare, and would receive payment within a few weeks due to Medicare’s mandate that all bills be paid within x number of days. When they questioned a Medicare rep, they were told they simply do not have enough people to monitor the program. Consequently, billions are paid annually to criminals.

Quote:
In fact, Medicare fraud - estimated now to total about $60 billion a year - has become one of, if not the most profitable, crimes in America.

The tiny medical supply company billed Medicare almost $2 million in July and a half million dollars while 60 Minutes was there in August, but we never found anybody inside, and our phone calls were never returned.

Sometimes, they don't even have offices: we went looking for a pharmacy at 7511 NW. 73rd Street that billed Medicare $300,000 in charges. It turned out to be in the middle of a public warehouse storage area.
Medicare Fraud: A $60 Billion Crime - 60 Minutes - CBS News

Quote:
Independent fraud investigator Harry Markopolos said the government is doing a poor job of monitoring the money it spends on healthcare. Interviewed by CNN medical correspondent Sanjay Gupta, M.D., Markopolos noted that the fraudulent practices run the gamut from billing on behalf of dead patients or dead physicians to upcoding claims, and asking for more than is deserved. "Medicare fraud is pervasive," Markopolos said. "Wall Street is second fiddle to the health care industry."
Medicare Fraud Rampant, Keynoter Says

Old 09-22-2010, 12:38 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyblue09 View Post
Zeituni Onyango - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This wiki entry gives insight into how she got her SSN etc. Interestingly enough I found this link on a wiki site where she is listed as a "notable" case of Guillain Barre syndrome.

One STILL does wonder however how she came to be eligible for a SSN when she admits to having come here on a temporary visa. It looks as though once she applied for asylum she was given a temporary residency visa. So, not yet legal but nonetheless entitled to the benefits of being legal. What a system.

Quote:
Onyango has visited America multiple times since 1975, returning to Kenya each time until the 2000s. Onyango came again to America on a temporary visa in 2000 along with a son who had been accepted at a college in Boston.[18] Commercial databases show she received a Social Security card in 2001, indicating she was legally present in the country at that time.[7]
Quote:
Onyango was in legal status as an asylum seeker at the time she applied for public housing in 2002.[1][6] A BHA official stated the agency was never notified of a deportation order.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:40 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times
I am sitting here with my mouth open reading this. What arrogance. Just unbelieveable ! Also, as someone said, where did the money come from for the Chicago trip, the White House trip, etc, etc, and now on disability.....? Obama has jumped in on every other thing that has come up re the professor and the policeman, the mosque, etc, but, he is staying out of this one.....?

Old 09-22-2010, 03:10 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
no, i didn't. thanks for the link.

criminy. not quite as bad as part 1, but still..

Old 09-23-2010, 03:03 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times
2 threads about this merged.
Yac.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:12 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Therein lies the problem. Our government agencies are replete with ineptitude. I’m not suggesting that all government employees are inept, because they aren’t. However, they are lacking oversight. Policies are implemented, but they aren’t enforced. This is the same reason the IRS “erroneously” issues millions of dollars in refunds, including to non-citizens. Those funds are rarely ever recouped.

Home Buyer Tax Credit: Fraud, Errors Persist - US News and World Report

How the IRS failed to stop $200M in bogus refunds - USATODAY.com

It is also the reason fraud is rampant in the food stamp program and Medicare. I watched a program a few weeks ago which exposed Medicare fraud. They interviewed a guy who had made millions by defrauding Medicare. He said it’s as easy as taking candy from a baby. He explained how they would use an address, any address, as their medical “office.” Then, they would purchase a list of medical codes and the names and SSNs of legitimate patients covered by Medicare. They would then bill Medicare, and would receive payment within a few weeks due to Medicare’s mandate that all bills be paid within x number of days. When they questioned a Medicare rep, they were told they simply do not have enough people to monitor the program. Consequently, billions are paid annually to criminals.

Medicare Fraud: A $60 Billion Crime - 60 Minutes - CBS News

Medicare Fraud Rampant, Keynoter Says
I saw the same program.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:47 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times
The Medicare fraud thing is almost beyond belief and then the government wants to control Medicare costs by paying even less for treatments, not by going after the criminals. That is really the way to handle a criminal case, isn't it ? In essence, convict the victim and let the criminal go.....

Same thing with Social Security. The gov't used the money in the trust funds, over and over, and kept issuing IOU's. Now that there is a problem, they want to "privatize" social security. What if that had been done before under Bush and then we had the stockmarket meltdown ? That would have been an even worse disaster than it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies