Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2010, 02:38 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,237,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
As long as we have the selective service, women should have to register.

Job, military retirement, etc - just little things. I'm not here to debate the draft.
But who is more impacted?

What % of the population are gays, and how many are in or would want to be in the military, vs men in the population who must ALL register fro the draft or go to jail and be denied student loans?

What is a more important issue for more people?

I don't hear ANYTHING about the sex discrimination that is the selective service, but hear LOTS and lots about gay equality, gay rights, despite being such a smaller % of the population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 02:39 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,928,293 times
Quote:
You're really okay applying the rules of DADT to everyone? So if astraight soldier posted wedding pictures on his facebook (a wedding he'd have to keep secret from all his military buddies), you'd be okay with him being discharged for it. If a straight soldier, if at anytime, forgot to remove his wedding ring in the presence of any military member (on or off duty), you'd be okay with him being discharged for it? Etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.
I'm not really OK with it, but until people can prove that they can co-exist in another way I don't know what else to suggest.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:40 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,928,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Yes, America is backward. Are you too afraid to admit it?
I simply don't agree with it. That's my right.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:42 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Because thems are the rules buddy. If you break those rules you get sent home. Until they change you just have to deal with it.
Clearly there are rules. We're debating if the rule is appropriate.

I think it's disgusting. To start, it's invidiously discriminatory. It completely goes against the values of the United States and everything it stands for.

Secondly, it completely strips the honor an integrity from the armed forces. Some of the bedrock principles of our military are honesty and integrity. Having a policy that requires a portion of the military to lie and deceive undermines the whole institution and is a slap in the face to everyone who's ever served it.

Isn't it a little bizarre the the government wants to force soldiers to possibly be in even more unpleansant, uncomfortable situations than they already are, and their lives are alreayd on the line, by repealing DADT, but the same government as of 2012 or 2013 won't even let the soldiers smoke a cigarette?

You have to like this person, but you can't smoke a cigarette!

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
So let's get rid of all male and female heads. let's see how you like showering with men.

I'm sorry you don't like the word homo. keep in mind homophobia is defined as a fear of homos. You don't like the word don't use homophopbia,.

Typical, you want it both ways , ain't gonna happen.
Interesting, isn't it?
Some people think the word "homo" should not be used.
But I have no problem being referred to as a "hetero" because that is what I am.
Someone can call me a "hetero" all day long... I take it as a compliment!

Old 09-21-2010, 02:44 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
So let's get rid of all male and female heads. let's see how you like showering with men.
I have showered with men. Big deal.

I'm sorry you don't like the word homo. keep in mind homophobia is defined as a fear of homos. You don't like the word don't use homophopbia,.I don't like it when it's used to offend.

Typical, you want it both ways , ain't gonna happen.

You share a barracks with lebians. Did you share a shower? Do you like other women looking at you in a sexual manner?I'm comfortable in my own sexuality. I do know how to say no, if it would ever come up. Yes, the showers were open. It didn't matter to me. Like I said, I'm comfortable in my own sexuality.

Not alll military barracks have private showers. So, by your reasoning I, a male, should have to right to shower with females. There is no difference,
Almost all barracks have private showers and have had for quite some time.
So sorry about your fear.
Trust me, most gay men aren't interested in straight guys, especially the hatero kind.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:46 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
But who is more impacted?

What % of the population are gays, and how many are in or would want to be in the military, vs men in the population who must ALL register fro the draft or go to jail and be denied student loans?

What is a more important issue for more people?

I don't hear ANYTHING about the sex discrimination that is the selective service, but hear LOTS and lots about gay equality, gay rights, despite being such a smaller % of the population.
You're off topic. Stop deflecting - We're not talking about about women or the draft (although I've already said I think women should be eligible).

To answer your questions - between 5-10% or the US is gay. A lot of gay people want, and do serve. I personally know 4 gay people who are currently serving, and 9 or 10 who have. I probably would have signed up had I been allowed to openly serve (most of the men on both side of my family were naval officers - It would have been nice to have the opportunity to follow that tradition).

Old 09-21-2010, 02:47 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I have reservations about stuff like this. What if your 5 year old child is in the hospital due to cancer? You shouldn't be able to mention it, or ask for time off or anything along those lines without risking termination? I mean, it's personal info, right? What if you're getting married and want to invite a few coworkers? Well...sorry...you're fired. See how this could be an issue?
It's already an issue for gay citizens.

Quote:
You're really okay applying the rules of DADT to everyone? So if astraight soldier posted wedding pictures on his facebook (a wedding he'd have to keep secret from all his military buddies), you'd be okay with him being discharged for it. If a straight soldier, if at anytime, forgot to remove his wedding ring in the presence of any military member (on or off duty), you'd be okay with him being discharged for it? Etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.
Until everyone has equal rights, I agree, I don't see the problem.
I'd love to see how people felt if the shoe were on the other foot.
Might be a rude awakening.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
You're off topic. Stop deflecting - We're not talking about about women or the draft (although I've already said I think women should be eligible).

To answer your questions - between 5-10% or the US is gay. A lot of gay people want, and do serve. I personally know 4 gay people who are currently serving, and 9 or 10 who have. I probably would have signed up had I been allowed to openly serve (most of the men on both side of my family were naval officers - It would have been nice to have the opportunity to follow that tradition).
My point is that the're's no attention on the sex discrimination, but all the focus is on if it's against women, or if it's against gays.
50% of the public is male. You said that 5-10% are gay. yet the selective service is not anywhere on the radar, despite 50% of the US public being discriminated against and faces jail if they do not register. Are homosexual acts even illegal anywhere in the US anymore?? can you face jail like you can if you don't register with the selective service?

Which gets way more attention?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies