Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2010, 10:43 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,943,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
The problem is throwing around silly phrases like "gay lifestyle" and "gay agenda". It's a bunch of bs......there is no such things as a gay lifestyle or gay agenda.
o rly?

Homosexual agenda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Judge orders 'gay' agenda<br> taught to Christian children
Homosexual Agenda Being Promoted In Schools - Parents - Families.com
HomosexualAgenda.org - the GLBT Alliance: Santa Cruz' ***** political organization
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 10:44 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
Aren't you a conservative? Or did I read your prior posts wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
When a portion of the gay group speaks out and things change they all benefit from those changes.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:45 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
There is a gay culture. And there is a gay lifestyle. Don't even attempt to twist that around.
A lifestyle is the way a person lives. Being gay or homosexual describes who you're sexually attracted to. Very different concepts, very different things.

Yes, there is a ridiculous, stereotyped "gay lifestyle" out there that describes gay men as flamboyant, bar hopping, sexually promiscuous drunks who want nothing more to do that make normal people uncomfortable by swooshing around in women's clothing rubbing their deviance in your face. It's complete and utter BS, and people who believe it are either woefully ignorant, or disingenuous, lying "culture warriors".

I'm a gay man. My lifestyle consists of camping, hiking, skiing, reading a lot (I run a book club), playing sports (I was an all state high school runner), obsessing over the Denver Broncos (Sunday's I watch the game a the local gay sports bar - the only time I generally go to a bar), volunteering (I drive a meals-on-wheels route), having friends over for dinner and drinks, etc. My sexuality has NOTHING to do with my lifestyle, except for I guess on the rare occasions when I actually choose to have sex with another man.

There are as many "gay lifestyles" as there are gay people.

Last edited by hammertime33; 10-21-2010 at 11:04 AM..

Old 10-21-2010, 10:45 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,943,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
No. His point is that Canada, Israel, Russia, and Sweden have included gays into their military and they haven't had any "moral problems." I'm honestly surprised that Russia allows gays in their military. That was a surprise. But the more collectivist countries like China, the Koreas, etc...are not such a shock. They demand uniformity.
maybe we should look at why they dont have any problems and see what thier rules and regulations are. i have seen some gay men who want to enlist, all they want to do is serve thier country i dont see why not.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:46 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,616,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
A lifestyle is the way a person lives. Being gay or homosexual describes who you're sexually attracted to. Very different concepts, very different things.

Yes, there is a ridiculous, stereotyped "gay lifestyle" out there that describes gay men as flamboyant, bar hopping, sexually promiscuous drunks who want nothing more to do that make normal people uncomfortable by swooshing around in women's clothing rubbing their deviance in your face. It's complete and utter BS, and people who believe it are either woefully ignorant, or disingenuous, lying "culture warriors".

I'm a gay man. My lifestyle consists of camping, hiking, skiing, reading a lot (I run a book club), playing sports (I was an all state high school runner), obsessing over the Denver Broncos (Sunday's I watch the game a the local gay sports bar - the only time I generally go to a bar), volunteering (I drive a meals-on-wheels route), having friends over for dinner and drinks, etc. My sexuality has NOTHING to do with my homosexuality, except for I guess on the rare occasions when I actually choose to have sex with another man.

How do you legislate and provide protection for gay people, if there is no definite way to identify someone as such?

Old 10-21-2010, 10:52 AM

But even if gay men did wear women's clothing and enjoyed strong cocktails on the weekend in nightclubs....... again..... why is that a problem for straight people? I don't understand....

I hope you aren't one of those heteronormative gays who hates gays who are artsy.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post

I'm a gay man. My lifestyle consists of camping, hiking, skiing, reading a lot (I run a book club), playing sports (I was an all state high school runner), obsessing over the Denver Broncos (Sunday's I watch the game a the local gay sports bar - the only time I generally go to a bar), volunteering (I drive a meals-on-wheels route), having friends over for dinner and drinks, etc. My sexuality has NOTHING to do with my homosexuality, except for I guess on the rare occasions when I actually choose to have sex with another man.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:55 AM

Easy. The individual identifies with a preference for same-sex relations. It's that easy. How difficult can this be to understand? It's basic understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
How do you legislate and provide protection for gay people, if there is no definite way to identify someone as such?

Old 10-21-2010, 10:57 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
ok, we can agree to disagree
I'm going to say this as clearly as I can... If gay people WANT to serve our country in the military then thats great. The military needs dedicated troops. The reality is that the military DOES NOT CARE about ones sexual preference.
ALL military members have to sacrifice and obey orders, and military laws and rules.. This is not a 9-5 job
The DADT policy may eventually go away, but it's not going to change the military.
If a gay soldier wants to tell about his sexual encounters then he may be told to shut up. Any behavior, gestures, or otherwise offensive actions are not tolerated. And, guess what? That policy already exists.
So, if gays think that they can act as gay as they do in their civilian life then they are mistaken. But, these rules apply for ALL members too. there's no discrimination
ALL soldiers have restrictions that they have to abide by or face punishment.
So tell us, how does someone "act gay"? The gays I know are indistinguishable from anyone else in their daily life. The only way you might know they're gay is if they tell you or you happen to see them out for dinner with their partner. Even then, they could simply be two friends or business associates enjoying each other's company.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:59 AM

People are very paranoid about gays. It's so strange. Homophobia should be a disorder that needs immediate medical treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
So tell us, how does someone "act gay"? The gays I know are indistinguishable from anyone else in their daily life. The only way you might know they're gay is if they tell you or you happen to see them out for dinner with their partner. Even then, they could simply be two friends or business associates enjoying each other's company.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:03 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
If you think that special "gay oriented military" social groups don't spring up around this you're deluded.
Huh? When did I ever claim that? I know several gay people currently attending the United States Air Force Academy who very often socialize together. The point is that they shouldn't have to do it secretly lest they summarily removed from the military.

A straight service member can go out while on leave, meet a girl in a bar, have sex with her, fall in love, and then tell his fellow service members all about it (either in a social setting, or while on duty), and then even invite them all to the wedding. A gay service member can't simply because he'd by saying "boy", instead of "girl". I find that kind of discrimination about as anti-American, anti-liberty as it gets.

Quote:
There will be some who don't care about another members sexuality, but there will also be those who don't want it anywhere around them.
So? If you have a atheist-hating solider who doesn't want atheists anywhere around him, should we ban atheists from the military (or make it so that they can serve, but at the first mention or accusation that they are atheist throw them out)?

Bigotry and ignorance shouldn't be tolerated in the military.

Quote:
This really isn't about death benefits, or wearing a ring.
Yeah, it is. It's really that simple. All gays want is to be treated equally. To be able to serve and to live without lying or concealing who they are. All homosexuals in the military want is the same liberty afforded to their heterosexual counterparts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies