Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 04:32 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,210,338 times

Advertisements

The problem is that the total services of the Post Office will never be profitable, so privatizing them is impossible. UPS and Fedex ship through USPS. Why? Because USPS delivers to every address, every zipcode, no matter how remote or expensive.

We'll set the issue of letters aside for now. Package delivery is far too expensive for many areas to have it under a completely private-sector approach. Private sector delivery to every address in the nation would have to take a form similar to the insurance industry: Either all total costs are added up and divided among every delivery, and therefore all deliveries are very expensive, or those with the riskiest (most time-consuming) routes pay the most, with some being so expensive they are simply not covered or cannot afford it.

Live down a lonely stretch of dirt road in the middle of the woods, an hour from the nearest large city? Good luck to you! The post office will go to your dinky town, because the cost is irrelevant. Fedex will charge you for every nickel of gas, every dollar in wages, and a premium for vehicle cleanup and maintenance driving down your unpaved road to deliver two little parcels. It's only prudent to recoup such losses.

Now, as for a "Solution" to the problem, you never posted a problem, so we cannot address it. Some of the problems I know of are those you find in any business with waste and inefficiency topping the list. Audits, maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 04:34 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
My letter carrier totally rocks.

Yesterday, when it was 108 degrees, he delivered a package to the elderly lady across the street. She asked him if he had put her letters in her box yet (it's down the street) and he said. "No. But I'll go get them for you." He then went back to his truck, dug around in his boxes and pulled out her mail. Which he then walked up to her. He even said, "Y'all have a good one."

The Fedex guy would never take the time to do that and the UPS guy is just plain grumpy. Hats off to you cool mail guy!!
Do you understand the difference between how the U.S. Postal Service is run and private companies such as UPS?
Maybe you have never observed the difference in gait between the two? The postal clerks saunter, the UPS guys hustle! The UPS people work like dogs and the postal workers barely work. OMG such a different culture it's incredible.
I have friends while they were in college loaded trucks for UPS on a 2:00am shift and the stories they told about efficiency and expectations and the pressure they were under was crazy.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:35 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaroscuro View Post
The problem is that the total services of the Post Office will never be profitable, so privatizing them is impossible. UPS and Fedex ship through USPS. Why? Because USPS delivers to every address, every zipcode, no matter how remote or expensive.

We'll set the issue of letters aside for now. Package delivery is far too expensive for many areas to have it under a completely private-sector approach. Private sector delivery to every address in the nation would have to take a form similar to the insurance industry: Either all total costs are added up and divided among every delivery, and therefore all deliveries are very expensive, or those with the riskiest (most time-consuming) routes pay the most, with some being so expensive they are simply not covered or cannot afford it.

Live down a lonely stretch of dirt road in the middle of the woods, an hour from the nearest large city? Good luck to you! The post office will go to your dinky town, because the cost is irrelevant. Fedex will charge you for every nickel of gas, every dollar in wages, and a premium for vehicle cleanup and maintenance driving down your unpaved road to deliver two little parcels. It's only prudent to recoup such losses.

Now, as for a "Solution" to the problem, you never posted a problem, so we cannot address it. Some of the problems I know of are those you find in any business with waste and inefficiency topping the list. Audits, maybe?
Exactly. You hit the nail on its head. It's impossible to have it be run well without it being prohibitively expensive. And most people would likely decide to just opt out of mail, making it more expensive to do business, etc.

You may hate government run entities, but privatizing it wouldn't work.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:27 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,898,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The same government that provides for them also ensures they will remain inneficient by not letting them close slow offices or fire worthless workers.
Well, what you have is somewhat correct. The USPS hasn't been run by taxpayer money since 1970. So my question is, why do people care if they make money or not? It's not coming out of your tax dollars. And they are not supposed to make a profit anyway.

Now to some of the problems. The USPS could easily get rid of 25% of their workforce. There are people, that I see daily, who work at a snails pace. There are also way too many in management. They have 3 people doing the job of one person, while in other area's, they have 1 person doing the job of 3. It's a clusterf---.

Also, if UPS or FedEx did box to box delivery, do you understand how much that would cost? You wouldn't be getting your subscription magazine delivered free like it is now, UPS would charge you a fee to stop at that box.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:54 PM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Well, what you have is somewhat correct. The USPS hasn't been run by taxpayer money since 1970. So my question is, why do people care if they make money or not? It's not coming out of your tax dollars. And they are not supposed to make a profit anyway.

Now to some of the problems. The USPS could easily get rid of 25% of their workforce. There are people, that I see daily, who work at a snails pace. There are also way too many in management. They have 3 people doing the job of one person, while in other area's, they have 1 person doing the job of 3. It's a clusterf---.

Also, if UPS or FedEx did box to box delivery, do you understand how much that would cost? You wouldn't be getting your subscription magazine delivered free like it is now, UPS would charge you a fee to stop at that box.

No taxpayer money? I don't think so.
http://www.uspsoig.gov/FOIA_files/ESS-WP-09-001.pdf
"[SIZE=4][SIZE=4]
[LEFT]Annual Appropriations to the Postal Service[/LEFT]
[/SIZE][/SIZE][LEFT]One reason that some stakeholders are confused about the “off-budget†status of the
Postal Service is that the Postal Service does indeed receive a relatively small annual
appropriation (generally around $100 million) from Congress that appears in the[/LEFT]
president’s budget every year. This is to compensate the Postal Service for providing

Old 09-21-2010, 05:58 PM

would cost about $100 million a year in
support for free mail for the blind and overseas voters, but this cost is small
compared to the public service and non-profit costs the Postal Service already
bears.

I'm sorry. I forgot about the service for the blind and ballots. Maybe they should go without.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:03 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Kick them out of the government and let them compete with FedEx and the rest on the same grounds.
Compete with FedEx? They're PARTNERED with FedEx!

Old 09-21-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Compete with FedEx? They're PARTNERED with FedEx!
Yes, on packages. We get a big pallet of parcels daily from them to delivery the next day.

BTW, most don't know that we are also delivering parcels for UPS.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:10 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Nothing is wrong with being able to send a letter anywhere in the US for only 44 cents.

That is unless you are a private business that would like to break into the market to make a huge profit from grandma who wants to send a birthday card to her grandson.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:24 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I'm amazed at the great job they do. What needs to be changed is the early retirement and fat pensions they get. No wonder they keep having to raise the price of a stamp. Athough I think they do a good job, considering the huge amount of mail that gets processed, I know if it was a private sector business it would be run much cheaper and more efficiently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies