Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 07:34 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,040 times

Advertisements

^^ Of course, the companies are in to make money. The other part of the equation is that the consumers are also in it to save money. Regardless of how much we ***** about outsourcing to India, fact is we will buy a cheaper computer (with support from India) instead of a higher priced one if the support were out of new york. Same thing applies for Walmart - consumer buys the cheaper product. Free markets are working (though not in our favor..). I know the playing field is not level due to govt subsidies - but it was not level when we were "winning" either.

At macro levels, regardless of Rs/Ds policies, the reality is that the rest of the world is catching up and investors (companies, you , me, etc) go where the growth is. We were the advanced country producing goods people wanted - we were ok exporting things to others - now, others can do the same things - usually cheaper and better. The solution for us is that we produce stuff that is wanted - and it is in the newer industries like biomed, robotics, etc - things we have a lead in but are not investing more in. These industries will produce the better jobs - the days of competing to make a cheaper shoe than china can are long gone. But our energies and resources are spent fighting useless wars & some social programs that are often quite wasteful. Come election time, we vote more on social issues as they can be easily captured in catchy slogans. We deserve the quality representation we get and are also to blame for a lot of the mess we are in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 07:38 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Shouldn't be a surprise..we are wallowing in debt.

U.S. Loses No. 1 to Brazil-China-India Market in Investor Poll - Bloomberg

"The U.S. has fallen behind emerging markets in Brazil, China and India as the preferred place to invest, a Bloomberg survey shows, though the world’s largest economy still ranks highest of all major developed countries."
It doesn't have as much to do with US, as with the fact that you can make a quicker buck on the emerging markets. The risks are far greater in the emerging markets, but so are the rewards.

It's about gambling for returns: In the September poll of 1,408 investors, analysts and traders who are Bloomberg subscribers, respondents rate the U.S. fourth for potential returns over the next year, behind Brazil and China, tied for first, and India, in third place.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 09-22-2010 at 07:52 AM..

Old 09-22-2010, 07:42 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,595,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Shouldn't be a surprise..we are wallowing in debt.

U.S. Loses No. 1 to Brazil-China-India Market in Investor Poll - Bloomberg

"The U.S. has fallen behind emerging markets in Brazil, China and India as the preferred place to invest, a Bloomberg survey shows, though the world’s largest economy still ranks highest of all major developed countries."
hmmm, and Brazil, China and India are on the cutting edge of green energy- what a KOINKYDINK!

Last edited by aspiesmom; 09-22-2010 at 08:13 AM..

Old 09-22-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I started investing in China since the recession started... I stopped putting money in the US... good thing I did... while my US investments are negative in value... my chinese stocks are all positive in value...
That's too bad, because the US stock market doubled in value. You missed the boat.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:54 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,278,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
That's too bad, because the US stock market doubled in value. You missed the boat.
The dollar lost value, so the gains were partially wiped out. Many foreign markets outperformed the US, especially with the currency rise.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
The dollar lost value, so the gains were partially wiped out. Many foreign markets outperformed the US, especially with the currency rise.
Name a few countries which had their stock market double in two years.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:57 AM

683 posts, read 1,468,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Are u being sarcastic?

These stupid wars destroyed the usa. Those trillions in tax dollarscould have been invested in technology, healthcare, education, and mass transit systems (Bullet trains, Subways, Trams).

Also, as I said before, US company owners are not patriotic. Europeans invest in their region, and if they want to cut expenses they relocate their manufacturing sector to eastern europe, but still the money stays in Europe. US company owners are relocating their manufacturing positions to China and India. At one point US nationals are going to be so unemployed they will be unabled to purchase a Dell laptop priced at 75$.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:01 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
Are u being sarcastic?

These stupid wars destroyed the usa. Those trillions in tax dollarscould have been invested in technology, healthcare, education, and mass transit systems (Bullet trains, Subways, Trams).

Also, as I said before, US company owners are not patriotic. Europeans invest in their region, and if they want to cut expenses they relocate their manufacturing sector to eastern europe, but still the money stays in Europe. US company owners are relocating their manufacturing positions to China and India. At one point US nationals are going to be so unemployed they will be unabled to purchase a Dell laptop priced at 75$.
And then what happens to China? China's manufacturing depends on American consumers. When we collapse, we bring a whole lot of others down with us. You shouldn't be so eager to bring down the USA.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
Are u being sarcastic?

No, I am not being sarcastic, and I didn't call anyone patriotic, or unpatriotic, or offer any theories, or support, or oppose bail-outs etc. I only stated the fact that anyone could have easily doubled (or much more) their inverstment if they had invested in US stock market in early 2009. The DOW was at around 6000 and now it is nearly 12 000. Look at the bank stocks. They have gone throught the roof, You could have made a lot of money, but a lot of people did not have faith in the US markets, and they spent their money on canned food, guns and ammunition instead. You can read the commnents on this very board which were made in early 2009, when people said the sky is falling and the markets were going to drop to 2000 points or less and there will be rioting on the streets etc. The ones with calm heads said it was time to invest, and they did, and now they are counting their profits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies