Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2010, 08:15 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times

Advertisements

Although his wording might be considered a bit casual, I see nothing wrong about the content of what Obama said...
The term México seems to date back to 1524, when the Aztec capital was rebuilt and given the name México Tenustitlán.
I guess Obama's using the word Mexicans is no less precise than using the word America (if he meant the US). Obviously not a scientific speech...

Last edited by Neuling; 09-22-2010 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 08:32 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,075,809 times
I note that the country of Italy did not exist prior to 1861. And yet, we find references to "Italians" older than the Roman Empire.

Once again, the right leaps pointlessly at what they think is a mistake and prove they are not really all that smart.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:34 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Although his working might be considered a bit casual, I see nothing wrong about the content of what Obama said...
The term México seems to date back to 1524, when the Aztec capital was rebuilt and given the name México Tenustitlán.
I guess Obama's using the word Mexicans is no less precise than using the word America (if he meant the US). Obviously not a scientific speech...
I spent quite a bit of time on the Pacific coast of Mexico years back and made many friends. The one thing I learned quickly was not to refer to the USA as "America" to a native Mexican...they will quickly correct you and remind you that Mexico is part of the Americas.

This thread confused some as they went off on tangents revolving around dates and legal documentation of who owned what. The reality is that there were people from what is now Mexico inhabiting what is now the USA before we deemed that land ours through a war of agression, maps, acquisitions and declarations.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 09-22-2010 at 08:44 AM..

Old 09-22-2010, 08:37 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
In reality what you propose is not going to work. You want unlimited immigration - the cheapest possible labor but there's no way that we can maintain that.

Oh no. I neither proposed it, nor want the cheapest possible labor. In fact, hell no. I've actually changed my habits due to the abuse the illegal workers suffer under the agriculture and meatpacking industry. I buy only local grown produce; I NEVER buy any meat from any of the companies that are know to use illegal labor. I'm slowly weaning myself off of meat, period. I will not support labor abuse.

The cheap labor types, the uneducated and unskilled cannot afford the high cost of living in the USA so they require food stamps, Medicaid, WIC, and government housing. They breed out of control which is the biggest reason they can't make it back in their own countries.

I've heard this rant so many times it's pointless to argue. It is, however, not true.

Sure you elites crave this cheap labor - but you really can't have it your way for long. Your cheap servants require too many taxpayer monies to provide them the support that you don't want to provide them. And as they breed at much higher rates, they soon overwhelm the ability of taxpayers to provide for them.

^^^^ That statement has been addressed. I'm doing something about the meat and ag. industry that abuses these people. What are you doing? I bet you buy your cheap meat at Wally world.

There are over 2 billion impoverished people throughout the world and you simply cannot bring them all here - not as our welfare class and not for your dirt cheap servants.

I don't want to bring them all here. What I want is a fair immigration overhaul that works, not some antiquated system that takes years and years to become a naturalized citizen. Yes, we will need to have limits and enforce those limits. We don't need some vigilante, fat, ugly, bald white guy with a chip on his shoulder 'guarding' the border.
This will not be resolved today. C-ya.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:53 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I think the overhaul would be wide open borders, and a total collapse of our national sovereignty.
If you want to imagine what the U.S. would be like with an open border with Mexico, just take a look at L.A... without Hollywood.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:55 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Although his wording might be considered a bit casual, I see nothing wrong about the content of what Obama said...
The Aztec empire in 1519.

Tenochtitlan (Mexico) covered an estimated 3.1 to 5.2 sq mi, situated on the western side of the shallow Lake Texcoco.

Quote:
Obviously not a scientific speech...
Agreed. Obviously he was pandering to his audience.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:07 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post

Tenochtitlan (Mexico) covered an estimated 3.1 to 5.2 sq mi, situated on the western side of the shallow Lake Texcoco.

He probably just thought it was the 57th state.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:11 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post

The second paragraph in post #112 pretty much sums up what it's about.

Besides that, although there are lots of ethnic groups in Mexico, including to the north of Mexico City, Aztecs has been kind of a synonym for Mexicans for a long time.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:33 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
I note that the country of Italy did not exist prior to 1861. And yet, we find references to "Italians" older than the Roman Empire.

Once again, the right leaps pointlessly at what they think is a mistake and prove they are not really all that smart.
No, they really aren't. They think they are being clever when they talk about the country being founded in 1776 and Mexico as an independent country later, but, completely ignore the fact that what is now Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, etc. were not considered part of the U.S. that was founded in 1776 and still were not until some time after Mexico gained its independence from Spain. The town noted below is just ten minutes from me:

"Mesilla was established by a group of lifetime Mexican residents when the territory of New Mexico was acquired by the United States in 1848. Wishing to remain Mexican, they left Las Cruces, moved a few miles west across the new border of the Rio Grande, and established their village in Mexican territory. All this effort was for naught, because the Rio Grande not only changed its path in 1865 putting both Las Cruces and Mesilla east of the river, but the whole area had already been annexed by the United States in 1854."

Old Mesilla | Southwestern New Mexico | Fodor's Travel Guides

People iare woefully ignorant of the history of the southwestern part of this country - it certainly wasn't covered in any of the history books I studied 40-odd years ago so I guess many could be excused their ignorance regarding Don Juan de Onate and his travels along the Camino Real. Note that while his explorations were financed by the Spanish crown, he himself was born in Mexico, around 1550.

Handbook of Texas Online - ONATE, JUAN DE

BTW, the capital founded by Onate's successor is celebrating its 400th anniversary this year:

http://www.thesantafesite.com/history.html

Old 09-22-2010, 12:36 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,993,500 times
And libs thought George Bush was dumb? Aren't progressives supposed to be the educated, elite types? The ones who gleefully point out others' spelling errors or laugh at word mispronouncement? They did that a lot when Quayle and Bush Jr. were in office. They're curiously silent when the uber-intellectual Obama flubs up, often.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised at Obama's latest intellectual gaffe. Our "brave, diverse world leader"
thinks Europe is a country after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies