Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2010, 02:32 PM

624 posts, read 1,121,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
It doesn't matter. They are still indigenous any way you shake it.
Indigenous to Mexico! Times change! We don't live in the Stone Age today! Just check how the Political Map of the World changed in the last 300 years. Not too many people have this idiot debate about who was there 2000 years ago!
A few thousands of years ago those "indigenous" people were indigenous to other regions Historical migration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Settlement of the Americas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 02:33 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Clueless eh? There are proponents on the left that say that we should give Mexico the southern part of the US back to them because they had it first. This is all about that. Why would Obama make a remark like he did if he wasn't alluding to this? It wouldn't make any sense to bring that up for any other reason. What about the Dem congressman in Cali that has gone on record telling his Hispanic constituents that they need to fight to take the land that was stolen from them back? This is a popular belief among the progressives, Obama included.
I didn't take it that way. He knows of the fuss there is about Hispanics in the Southwest and wants to counter that, reminding US-Americans that the region has a long Hispanic history...

Old 09-22-2010, 02:33 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
You honestly believe that the current President wants to give back millions of acres of land, some large amount of which actually belongs to the federal government in the form of military reservations and the like.
Riiiiight.
Yes I do. Why do you think that the feds won't do a damn thing about the cartels taking over 80 sq. miles of southern Arizona? They are in effect giving it to them by not doing anything about it.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:35 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I didn't take it that way. He knows of the fuss there is about Hispanics in the Southwest and wants to counter that, reminding US-Americans that the region has a long Hispanic history...
It still makes no damn sense. BTW, there is NO fuss about hispanics in the South West, just illegals. If he truly wanted to do what you said, he would have mentioned the difference between being here legally and illegally. He didn't go that route because to him, it doesn't matter if you're here legally or illegally, that land is theirs.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:38 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
Because the society evolved since then! Europe was conquered too by migrant populations Migration Period - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nobody complains about the Germans, Hungarians and other nations that shouldn't be in Europe today. More so they are appreciated for their culture!
Without those invasions in Europe will be just the ancestors of the Italians, Spaniards, French, Romanians and other romance countries!
The barbarians that invaded Europe, like Mexicans, didn't had a superior culture but they attacked when the Roman Empire was weak (just like US is today).
So what, I mean who says that what we have today is the way the world's surface was supposed to be divided up like? Why should Russia forever keep all that land despite its relatively few people? Just because the borders are the way they are now?

By the way, calling Mexicans barbarians is really kind of stupid...

Old 09-22-2010, 02:42 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Anybody who was alive when the USA received that land is long dead. They would become United States citizens if they were living inside the boundaries of the US.

It doesn't matter who had the land before we got it. The land was fought over in a war, then purchased and paid for. It's United States land.

Just because some 20 odd-million Mexicans flooded our country doesn't mean that they can stay here because over 180 years ago there were inhabitants on the land which was once considered Mexican land. By the way, it wasn't Mexico until they fought a war, they were inhabitants of New Spain.

You, like I... and every other person on this planet were born where we are by the simple "luck of the draw". So don't tell me that because they were born in Mexico it means they have some ancestral claim to the USA. They don't. Because "they" could have been born ANYWHERE on the entire planet. Why don't they stake their claim on Guatemala? Honduras? They're just as related to them and tied to that land as much as they are tied to this land. Right?

Oh that's right... They're not TRYING to invade Guatemala or Honduras are they? Why bother going to those nations that even SHARE a culture with them? Because they're here to GET what they can GET that's why. They don't bit more care about the USA than the man on the moon, they are here to GET STUFF they can't get in Mexico. Otherwise they'd be FLOODING THE DAMN NATIONS SOUTH OF THEIR BORDER AND NOT NORTH. We have stuff they came here to get it.

So the people who were born on the exact same land during our age, are United States citizens. Those born outside of our national borders, and born within the national borders of Mexico, are Mexican.
The thread was about what Obama said being inaccurate. It was not. Besides the point, the war was a war iof aggression which many Americans were against, quite notably, Abraham Lincoln for one. Why are you so enraged? I never advocated for illegal immigration, but there is a poetic justice to the Mexicans crossing the border into land that was once taken from them with hostility. I have more of an issue with unrestrained immigration of Russians that have brought there mafia with them and are milking our systems to boot. The only way to fix the Mexican immigration problem is to punish the employers and force Mexico to fix its corrupt government. I do not see any of those things happening. Again...Obama was correct.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:43 PM

624 posts, read 1,121,515 times
Quote:
So what, I mean who says that what we have today is the way the world's surface was supposed to be divided up like? Why should Russia forever keep all that land given its relatively few people? Just because the borders are the way they are now?

But to say that because some people live somewhere you're entitled to live there without any respect for the law it's just stupid!
Probably the World Map will still change!

I didn't called the Mexicans barbarians... but I made an analogy!

I just wanted to say that if you check the history of migration you'll see that the Mexicans are not entitled to nothing!

Old 09-22-2010, 02:43 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,363 times
Quote:
So what, I mean who says that what we have today is the way the world's surface was supposed to be divided up like? Why should Russia forever keep all that land given its relatively few people? Just because the borders are the way they are now?

They were called barbarians by the Romans.

You see, we have rules/laws for immigrating, and if you don't follow those rules, you are breaking the law.
More people immigrate (legally) to the USA than anywhere else in the world.

These people are criminals. They break the law. We owe them nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-22-2010, 02:44 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling;

I just have a problem with that modern notion that when just a few centuries ago my European ancestors went around the world stealing land and stuff from others it was ok, while today migrants doing the same thing are told they are wrong and illegal, just as if the same had not applied to Europeans centuries ago. And most migrants today are not even trying to kill locals or anything like that.

It was "OK" back in the day for EVERYONE to do that. And they did.

TODAY, we say, "gee, it wasn't right for Europeans to do that" (people are usually silent on passing judgment on Non-European acts of aggression and conquest, of course).

So, the question isn't, "Was it deemed as OK way back when"... but.... "Is it Ok NOW?" There are lots of things that were "OK" back in the day that we do not excuse today. It used to be OK for parents to essentially enslave their children and send them to work. What if today children sent their old parents off to work in sweat shop mills? Is your opinion, "Well gee, what goes around comes around, because 200 years ago parents send kids off to work in mills?"

Old 09-22-2010, 02:47 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
It is absolutely mind boggling how you people twist history in your little minds.

There were many people who were indigenous to the Americas. Mexicans of today are indigneous. Baby, you can say the grass is purple, but just because you say it and believe doesn't make it so.

It's mind boggling that you view "indigenous" as being entitled to EVERYTHING on the continent? What kind of warped @ss perspective IS that, anyway?

An Irishman gets to claim entitlement to allllll of the European continent? How about a Thai? Could he lay claim to Mongolian territory? Your perspective is uneducated, myopic, and a very wishy washy privileged white person perspective. "All those Africans are black, so an Eritrean is basically the same as an Angolan..."

There are no "indigenous" people to the Americas. ALL people in the Americas CAME FROM SOMEWHERE ELSE AT SOME POINT IN TIME. Natives, in fact, came from a mythical placed called.... EUR-ASIA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies