Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2010, 03:16 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,709,126 times

Advertisements

The joke will be over on January 20, 2013.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 03:16 PM

624 posts, read 1,119,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I have never seen it that way. When I look at modern Europe I can't help but notice that Germanic regions are superior to 'Roman' ones I can tell because I live in a 'Roman' country now.
Yes, but the Germanic people are not indigenous to Europe. How about letting those who were part of the Roman Empire to invade all the Germanic countries because they are entitled, no?

Old 09-22-2010, 03:18 PM

25,956 posts, read 24,680,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
No thank you. Good borders make good neighbors.

Humans are tribalistic. What you're actually advocating is the eradication of the diversity of culture and custom in the world.... basically everything that makes life and the world interesting.
Europe is kind of a trial for that. Compare the modern EU to Europe 100 years ago and the importance of borders has almost disappeared. Have the cultures disappeared because of that? Certainly not. Culture is not a museum object that must stay the same forever, it is an abstract thing always in flux. I have no problem with change.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:18 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,805,422 times
Quote:
We just invented that concept in order to keep people out we don't want, cherry pick, etc.
I'm sure you do the same thing when it comes to your home.
Why do you keep people you don't want out? Why do you cherry pick?

Old 09-22-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
Yes, but the Germanic people are not indigenous to Europe. How about letting those who were part of the Roman Empire to invade all the Germanic countries because they are entitled, no?
Hm, I don't understand your second sentence

Old 09-22-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Europe is kind of a trial for that. Compare the modern EU to Europe 100 years ago and the importance of borders has almost disappeared. Have the cultures disappeared because of that? Certainly not. Culture is not a museum object that must stay the same forever, it is an abstract thing always in flux. I have no problem with change.
Europe is divided by culture and language. And why most of the Europeans are angry that now the poor people from Eastern Europe invade LEGALLY Western Europe? They are just like the Mexicans but they are Legal because there are no borders in EU... and still the problems remained!

Old 09-22-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
I'm sure you do the same thing when it comes to your home.
Why do you keep people you don't want out? Why do you cherry pick?
A piece of land is not the same as my house. I don't want either legal or illegal immigrants in my living room just because they are immigrants, no do I even want compatriots whose ancestors have lived here for thousands of years. I decide who I let in based on the individual, who may be a legal or illegal immigrant or a native.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Hm, I don't understand your second sentence
Sorry! The Germanic people are not indigenous to Europe! So using your judgement the nations who have ancestors that were here before the migration period are entitled to invade Europe? (most of them were part of the Roman Empire) That's what Mexicans say... that they are entitled to immigrate ILLEGALLY to US because they were there before!

Old 09-22-2010, 03:23 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,352,134 times
Quote:

Europeans are culturally and phenotypically enough alike in the modern world that there is by and large an "OK" transition and mixing. Also, the cultures of Europe have the advantage of having a similar "base" culture.... Western, judeo-Christian traditions.

Compare the debate to allowing Turkey into the picture in the EU, with its Muslim/Arabic-European predominant culture. Also, it is ALWAYS important for there to be "alternative" cultures for people to run to and live under.

What if the whole world turned to ONE Sharia/Islamic law and culture? Even if such oppressive culture exists today, isn't it better that someone can escape that oppressive culture and live somewhere they are more comfortable?

Old 09-22-2010, 03:26 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,352,134 times
Quote:
A piece of land is not the same as my house. I don't want either legal or illegal immigrants in my living room just because they are immigrants, no do I even want compatriots whose ancestors have lived here for thousands of years. I decide who I let in based on the individual, who may be a legal or illegal immigrant or a native.
A nation is analagous to a HOUSE. The government and residents of a nation get to decide who to let into the collective HOUSE that we live in.

The REAL Native Americans (not Mexicans using some bizarre, broad racial claim) are those that are already here, in America, no problem. THEY get to live here. Mexicans in Chiapas claiming a right to live in Maine ... or even Florida ... makes absolutely no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies