Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 01:49 PM

39,860 posts, read 26,482,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I think the O.P. is looking for justification for a view that the "Tea Party" is nothing but right wing "fundamentalist" Christians. This is a "fishing" exercise to see what turns up.
Actually, you're 180* off. I support the Tea Party's views with respect to a smaller, less intrusive government, and fiscal responsibility. These are things that both the Dems and Repubs have ignored. The reason for the thread is that I want to understand if that focus has been co-opted by the evangellical portion of the Republican party. My views are far more libertarian than anything else, I'd like to know to what extent the Tea Party follows my convictions. If I'm "fishing", its to ensure that they are NOT the "fundamentalist Christians" they are often protraid to be.

My reason for posting is that much of the MSM parrots the lefts portrail of them as religious extremists or racists. Fox seems to emphasize the Christian views of some of the members. Where is the truth? I think many of the comments have nailed it, there is no one central "Tea Party" organization, and as such no platform on a number of issues. And that's as it should be. For those that believe in limited government and fiscal responsibility, religion should be a secondary issue.

Part of the reason I asked is because I attended a couple of our local events. The first one was all about fiscal responsibility and reducing the size of government, and had attendence from a wide variety of policital affiliations. The second, seemed like much of it was focused on prayer and the belief in a Christian basis for our country. Seems as if our local group has slid the wrong way, in my opinion.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 09-22-2010 at 01:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 01:52 PM

2,564 posts, read 1,595,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Wow, some people have a very delusional view about what the Tea Party stands for. You can't find information about the TP's stance on religious issues because IT DOESN'T HAVE ONE. People who have become TP members have done so with the desire to end the fiscal recklessness in Washington and ever increasing government intrusion.

I would venture to guess that the religious views of the TP members are as varied as those of the general public's. Their platform is about fiscal conservancy, not social/religious issues.
Clearly religion and politics are joined at the hip in the Tea Party:

Getting Religion at the Tea Party Convention | FrumForum
"...I think the one thing that really did surprise me was the high level of explicitly Christian social conservatism on display here. One of the “breakout sessions” featured a speech from Pastor Rick Scarborough — who is most famous for trying to get America’s preachers more politicized. (“I’m not a Republican. I’m not a Democrat. I’m a Christocrat.”) After his speech, a middle-aged female delegate with a twang stood up and said, during the Q&A, “All the media types are asking us why we’re here. Here’s what I say. We’re all here for a little R&R — revival and revolt. If you’re not a Christian, and a person of faith, you just can’t understand what we’re doing!!” She got a standing ovation...."

Old 09-22-2010, 01:57 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
I am a member of a labor union, so naturally I am biased FOR labor unions. But I also believe in a fair playing field, and clearly FOR PROFIT corporate campaign contributions will always be more that NON PROFIT union campaign corporations. Now that Citizens vs FEC has made these campaign contributions ANONYMOUS adds an even greater element of danger to our public election process. The only way out of this graft and corruption (from ALL special interests, INCLUDING unions) is to go with Public Financing.
You're a labor union member, therefore you're part of the problem that you claim to want to fix. There is no such thing as a non profit labor union in this country, to believe otherwise is delusional at best. You're just upset that the other side figured out how to raise more money than your side and you'll do anything you can to win.

You don't want honesty or fairness in elections, you want your side to win.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:

"...I think the one thing that really did surprise me was the high level of explicitly Christian social conservatism on display here. One of the “breakout sessions” featured a speech from Pastor Rick Scarborough — who is most famous for trying to get America’s preachers more politicized. (“I’m not a Republican. I’m not a Democrat. I’m a Christocrat.”) After his speech, a middle-aged female delegate with a twang stood up and said, during the Q&A, “All the media types are asking us why we’re here. Here’s what I say. We’re all here for a little R&R — revival and revolt. If you’re not a Christian, and a person of faith, you just can’t understand what we’re doing!!” She got a standing ovation...."
Why don't you ever post something of real value instead of just posting links to editorials and other people's opinions? You obviously feel strongly about this topic, why don't you express your own thoughts without the help of someone else?

Old 09-22-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Actually, you're 180* off. I support the Tea Party's views with respect to a smaller, less intrusive government, and fiscal responsibility. These are things that both the Dems and Repubs have ignored. The reason for the thread is that I want to understand if that focus has been co-opted by the evangellical portion of the Republican party. My views are far more libertarian than anything else, I'd like to know to what extent the Tea Party follows my convictions. If I'm "fishing", its to ensure that they are NOT the "fundamentalist Christians" they are often protraid to be.

My reason for posting is that much of the MSM parrots the lefts portrail of them as religious extremists or racists. Fox seems to emphasize the Christian views of some of the members. Where is the truth? I think many of the comments have nailed it, there is no one central "Tea Party" organization, and as such no platform on a number of issues. And that's as it should be. For those that believe in limited government and fiscal responsibility, religion should be a secondary issue.

Part of the reason I asked is because I attended a couple of our local events. The first one was all about fiscal responsibility and reducing the size of government, and had attendence from a wide variety of policital affiliations. The second, seemed like much of it was focused on prayer and the belief in a Christian basis for our country. Seems as if our local group has slid the wrong way, in my opinion.
I've seen quite a few instances where people have tried to hijack the tea party movement across this country, Glen Beck's rally recently was a good example of that. He clearly has a religious agenda but that's not at the heart of the Tea Party, sure many of it's members are religious which shouldn't be a problem but the purpose of the Tea Party isn't religious in nature. Of course many will do whatever they can to make things appear this way trying to paint the TP in a bad light, those people are clearly desperate because of the impending slaughter that's coming in November. Many on the left and even many on the right are worried because they see an organization that's gaining momentum and they fear losing the power that they thrive on.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:04 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
Quote:

HAHAHAHAAAAA, nice link. So some non-Christian liberal from Canada sat in on a "break-out" session at some convention, and all of the sudden now promoting Christianity is on the official Tea Party Platform??????????? Wow, why didn't this make national news?!

Get a clue about the Tea Party. Anyone with the desire to promote fiscal conservancy in our government is welcome in the TP. Are there some Evangelical Christians who are also fiscal conservatives? Of course, just as there are also jews, atheists, hindis, buddhists, wiccans, etc, etc, etc.

Maybe you should acquaint yourself with the official Tea Party Platform, lol.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
You're a labor union member, therefore you're part of the problem that you claim to want to fix. There is no such thing as a non profit labor union in this country, to believe otherwise is delusional at best. You're just upset that the other side figured out how to raise more money than your side and you'll do anything you can to win.

You don't want honesty or fairness in elections, you want your side to win.
I am part of the problem just because I am a union member that does NOT want union campaign financing as long as there is NO corporate financing as well? So you don't want a fair playing field with NO special interests involved in the election process? Public Financing for ALL candidates (even the ones I don't like) is not fair? You want continued graft and corruption with special interest money influencing outcome of public elections? The end justifies the means?

This thread is about religion too. Next Supreme Court case might be Baptist, Catholic, Islam, Hindu, etc religions petitioning the court to allow religions to open up their treasuries to campaign financing. This will not bother you either?

Old 09-22-2010, 02:08 PM

39,860 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
...Maybe you should acquaint yourself with the official Tea Party Platform, lol.
Where would I find it?

Old 09-22-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
HAHAHAHAAAAA, nice link. So some non-Christian liberal from Canada sat in on a "break-out" session at some convention, and all of the sudden now promoting Christianity is on the official Tea Party Platform??????????? Wow, why didn't this make national news?!

Get a clue about the Tea Party. Anyone with the desire to promote fiscal conservancy in our government is welcome in the TP. Are there some Evangelical Christians who are also fiscal conservatives? Of course, just as there are also jews, atheists, hindis, buddhists, wiccans, etc, etc, etc.

Maybe you should acquaint yourself with the official Tea Party Platform, lol.
Maybe you're right, maybe Tea Partiers are NOT religious at all:

YouTube - Tea Partiers Mock And Scorn Apparent Parkinson's Victim

Old 09-22-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I am part of the problem just because I am a union member that does NOT want union campaign financing as long as there is NO corporate financing as well? So you don't want a fair playing field with NO special interests involved in the election process, just voters? Public Financing for ALL candidates (even the ones I don't like) is not fair? You want continued graft and corruption with special interest money influencing outcome of public elections? The end justifies the means?

This thread is about religion too. Next Supreme Court case might be Baptist, Catholic, Islam, Hindu, etc religions petitioning the court to allow religions to open up their treasuries to campaign financing. This will not bother you either?
I would love public financing of all elections, in reality it's not something that is going to happen overnight and if anything groups like the Tea Party are pushing in that direction more than anyone else right now. The libs and cons surely don't want that to happen, they'll fight that sort of change to the bloody end because we all now they survive on Labor union money/power and Corp money/power. I'm sure whatever labor union you're in contributes tons of cash to politicians, chances are those politicians are all left leaning Democrats who like you claim to want fair elections. If you really want fair elections why don't you work to stop your own group, your own union from giving money to politicians in return for all sorts of political favors? Why aren't you fighting to stop that but will never give up fighting the Tea Party?

Like I said earlier, I know why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies