Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 02:37 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Who would do the fighting for the US then? If gay soldiers can't follow orders/rules/regulations regarding DADT, they should leave the service.
I'm talking about changing the policy, not disobeying orders.

Quote:
Why doesn't obama, with one swipe of his pen, do away with DADT?
I wonder that myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 02:40 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,096 times
Quote:
Sad to say, a LOT of soldiers would not be comfortable with an open gay - why do you think the upper echelons of the military continue to resist it - they know their soldiers better than we do.
So? If these "soldiers" are too unstable to deal with just knowing his fellow soldier's sexuality, then how do they expect to hold up when terrorists are shooting at them?

Old 09-23-2010, 02:52 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
Sad to say, a LOT of soldiers would not be comfortable with an open gay - why do you think the upper echelons of the military continue to resist it - they know their soldiers better than we do.

Sad to say again, gay kids are still ridiculed in school. You might be surprised to know that I went to the principle when my girls were in Catholic school, after hearing that some of the boys in my 8th graders class were spreading "gay" rumors about another boy. They nipped it in the bud, right then and there.

Until the rules are changed about DADT, those who are gay need to abide by the rules.
No one is disputing that until the rules are changed about DADT that gays in the military need to abide by them---and they are---but that doesn't mean others can't work to help change DADT, including starting discussions of the issue in threads like this.

According to an article in the Washington Post, the Pentagon favors ending DADT. You don't' get much higher up in the "upper echelons of the military" than Adm. Mikle Mullen, chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, and Robert Gates, the defense Sect.

Pentagon supports ending 'don't ask, don't tell' law for gays in military - washingtonpost.com

Old 09-23-2010, 02:54 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
So? If these "soldiers" are too unstable to deal with just knowing his fellow soldier's sexuality, then how do they expect to hold up when terrorists are shooting at them?
Apples and oranges. They are there to kill and maim, they are alphas, aggressive, macho kind of dudes.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:55 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post

According to an article in the Washington Post, the Pentagon favors ending DADT. You don't' get much higher up in the "upper echelons of the military" than Adm. Mikle Mullen, chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, and Robert Gates, the defense Sect.

Pentagon supports ending 'don't ask, don't tell' law for gays in military - washingtonpost.com
What's the holdup then?

Old 09-23-2010, 03:00 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
i think it is very appropriate. the first instance i saw of this was a cartoon drawing with the same heading. it had 3 coffins and posed the same question.

it is the same as showing a picture of a troop lined up and asking, can you spot the gay one?

is that disrespectful of their service? no.
neither is posting this picture and asking who is the gay one.

there is no agenda. a point is being made of how silly it is to continue to make soldiers lie/decieve/hide in order to die for this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Stop trying to change the topic, this has nothing to do with Bush or any of your other typical replies when you have nothing of substance to add. I don't know who's in that photo any more than the OP or you do, that's my whole point. The people in those photos may or may not agree with DADT, some of them may have been gay... none of that matters in the least bit. That's not an appropriate photo to use to further a political agenda no matter what it might be, period. If you can't grasp that then you need help.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:11 PM

soldiers will do what they are told. i doubt many would quit. and as ideas and perceptions change new generations will be more accepting. in the end. DADT will be repealed. no mass exodus will occur.

as for waiting on some report...
it takes little imagination to understand what would have been said during the process of desegregation in the late 40's.
"In 1948, President Harry S Truman's Executive Order 9981 ordered the integration of the armed forces shortly after World War II, a major advance in civil rights. Using the Executive Order (E.O.) meant that Truman could bypass Congress. Representatives of the Solid South, all white Democrats, would likely have stonewalled related legislation."
regardless of attitudes of politicians or populace, those in favor of ending DADT will be on the right side of history.

and wasnt it you who said we shouldnt do this during time of war...
"At the end of June 1950, the Korean War broke out. The U.S. Army had accomplished little desegregation in peacetime and sent the segregated Eighth Army to defend South Korea. Most black soldiers served in segregated support units in the rear. The remainder served in segregated combat units, most notably the 24th Infantry Regiment. The first months of the Korean War were some of the most disastrous in U.S. military history. The North Korean People's Army nearly drove the American-led United Nations forces off the Korean peninsula. Faced with staggering losses in white units, commanders on the ground began accepting black replacements, thus integrating their units. The practice occurred all over the Korean battle lines and proved that integrated combat units could perform under fire. The Army high command took notice. On July 26, 1951, the US Army formally announced its plans to desegregate, exactly three years after Truman issued Executive Order 9981."

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I think we should all wait to know what that DOD report will contain before anyone else makes snap judgments about why they don't repeal DADT.

If the majority of officers serving in the military today said they would quit if they had to serve with homosexuals who are open about their sexuality... what would you say then? That the majority of the men/women in the military have a problem? That they have to bite their tongues and bear it? That it's ok if 80% of the people serving in the military say they will quit? What about in Muslim countries where we have bases and military installations? Someone mentioned in a thread yesterday that there's the Islamic angle to that as well considering their stance on homosexuality.

So answer. Do you think it would be an intelligent move to repeal DADT, and then sufferer the consequences? Just to accomplish the goal of having gays serve OPENLY in the military?

Old 09-23-2010, 03:16 PM

they would be under the same rules as their straight counterparts. they wouldnt be allowed to do that.

but do you really think they would be engaging in kissy face antics while in combat?

your fascination with gays and their activities is very telling. tell me, what other gay activities do you fantasize about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
No I don't like the imagery one bit. The aclu is in a fight right now to make sure there is no prayer at any military funtions and as hard as it is to believe they are also petitioning to have all crosses removed from all militart grave markers. You may thank this is crazy and never going to happen, thank again, do you know on a USA battle ship a chaplain can not use the word Jesus or he is breaking a law, thanks to the slick lawyers of the aclu. Great job.

Now a NORMAL soldier fighting a combat in a foreign war, hunkered down in a forward base(trench with a tent over it) fighting weeks at a time has to be there with bob and dave holding hands and giving each other kissy face, no I'll never agree with the op it's not like being in the state's where you can just go home and not have to be around this crap, in the military many times you are required to live in exremely cramped quarters 24/7 for weeks on in, if the gays wana serve in the man's army make them keep a lid on it, for all the normal servicemen and women.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:16 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
What's the holdup then?
Why not ask the ultra-conservative wing of the Republican party who would rather use this issue as a fund raising tool for the coming elections than to take their queues from the Pentagon? Again, Obama can't just sign an executive order because that would be subject to get overturned by the next Republican to take office. That would create a giant mess for the military who would have kick out anyone serving openly in between the repeal of his executive over and its being put back in place by a new executive order. An act of congress can't so easily be changed on a whim.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:18 PM

624 posts, read 1,121,579 times
None of them are gay! You can't have sexual orientation after you're dead.

Or...

All of them are gay because the gays are week and poor soldiers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies