Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 09:47 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,464,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
First let me say, I come from a military family. My father, my husband and my two sons all serve(d) proudly. Other members of my extended family are also serving. I always have lived within 10 miles of a military base. There is not a day that goes by without my seeing and interacting with a member of the military and some of them are gay. I couldn't care less. They all are heroes in my book.

This is a mixed bag for me. ALL have a right to serve. Just because someone is gay does not mean they can not serve their country and do the job that is assigned to them. However, during this time of a volunteer force, when one joins the military, he agrees to abide by the UCMJ and the laws of our land. Herein lies the contradiction, for me. Individuality has no place in the military. There must be cohesion. If someone is hellbent on "coming out," are they disrupting that cohesion? Are they violating their oath? Yes, they are. However, it not need be that way.

DADT should be repealed. There are too many fine military members that are violating the UCMJ and it is not right to disallow them to be who and what they are in their private life. No one should bring their private life to work, no matter what their job or career. The two can, and should, remain separate.

As far as the picture that SLCPUNK posted, I don't believe that any disrespect was intended. Actually, he was able to make his point very well with nothing more than a photograph. And when you consider all of the thousands of military members I know, I'm fairly certain that there are more than one in that picture that gave his life serving his country, that was gay.

May they ALL rest in peace.
Thank you.

As I said earlier there is no "Agenda" (no I'm not gay because I believe DADT should be repealed) nor was there any malicious intent by passing on that photo I saw earlier today.

As I said prior, I am from a military family, born on an Army base, my Mother represented this country all around the world, my wife is a Veteran who works every day for other Veterans, and our daughter just signed up for the Air Force. That is only some of our family history... Claiming I'm anti military is ridiculous and it's a shame I must divulge personal information about myself in order to try and validate what I feel is a logical point of view. I doubt it will sway those opposed anyway, but I digress...

My wife and I both know homosexuals who have served their country in the military. None cared to bring their sexual preferences out in the open, but none cared to lie about their life constantly and fear being kicked out either.

During our affairs in the Middle East we have kicked out soldiers who were fluent in Arabic simply because they were also gay. I can't think of something more backwards (and ultimately dangerous to our security) than that type of mindset. Our top military leaders (as well as the majority of the country) also believe that DADT should be repealed at this point, and I agree with that assessment. I'd think they would probably know what is best for our military.

Soldiers who have died serving this country, or suffered a debilitating injury from service, deserve respect. That same respect should be shown to them while they serve as well. If somebody is willing to make the ultimate sacrifice then that's the least we can do no matter what their sexual orientation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 09:47 PM

228 posts, read 507,465 times
I may not approve of alternative lifestyles, but that is my personal belief. However, though I may not approve of another person's lifestyle, I am not willing to deny that person's right to live that lifestyle.

And I think DADT should be repealed because there's absolutely no logic in it. If gays can perform the job just like any other soldier, they're qualified to be in our armed services. They could be the one person who throws himself on top of a landmine to save the rest of you and your unit.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:04 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Stop trying to change the topic, this has nothing to do with Bush or any of your other typical replies when you have nothing of substance to add. I don't know who's in that photo any more than the OP or you do, that's my whole point. The people in those photos may or may not agree with DADT, some of them may have been gay... none of that matters in the least bit. That's not an appropriate photo to use to further a political agenda no matter what it might be, period. If you can't grasp that then you need help.
That’s exactly the Ops point. Duh.
You’re right, it doesn’t matter. Why is it so difficult for some people to agree that sexual orientation doesn’t really matter? Why do they then try to deny rights to others based upon that orientation. Someone is not lesser than because of their inherent sexual orientation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Wake up and realize that the 2 subjects have NOTHING to do with each other, while I support repealing DADT because it doesn't respect gays rights I don't support disrespecting the rights of dead soldiers (gay or straight) to make a point. Again, if you can't grasp this concept you need help. You can't disrespect one group to force people to respect another group.
They have everything to do with each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
No I don't like the imagery one bit. The aclu is in a fight right now to make sure there is no prayer at any military funtions and as hard as it is to believe they are also petitioning to have all crosses removed from all militart grave markers. You may thank this is crazy and never going to happen, thank again, do you know on a USA battle ship a chaplain can not use the word Jesus or he is breaking a law, thanks to the slick lawyers of the aclu. Great job.

Now a NORMAL soldier fighting a combat in a foreign war, hunkered down in a forward base(trench with a tent over it) fighting weeks at a time has to be there with bob and dave holding hands and giving each other kissy face, no I'll never agree with the op it's not like being in the state's where you can just go home and not have to be around this crap, in the military many times you are required to live in exremely cramped quarters 24/7 for weeks on in, if the gays wana serve in the man's army make them keep a lid on it, for all the normal servicemen and women.
I agree with removing christer prayer from functions.
How about a link or two indicating that the crosses are in question. Or is this your fear and opinion only?

Shhhh, your homophobia is showing. So being gay is solely about sex? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edub View Post
Do people really not get it?

It doesn't matter if you are for or against DADT. DADT is not the issue!

YOU DO NOT USE PICTURES OF DEAD SOLDIERS TO MAKE A POLITICAL POINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is and always has been a long standing tradition in America. It doesn't matter what you point is or how right you may be, you just don't do it. Do you people really not know that even the news media will not display such images in respect of this tradition.

Do any of you know anything about civics and generally accepted decency?
Of course you do.
Look at Stars & Stripes at stripes.com.
They post photos of dead soldiers, showing their faces.
Death in war is political. How much more political can you get than death in war?

Old 09-22-2010, 11:29 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,943,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
"Can you spot the gay solider?"

That was pretty tasteless and insulting.
yes i agree it is disgusting

Old 09-23-2010, 03:17 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
OK, I've read enough. All of you raging conservatives missed the point, as usual.

Posting a picture of dead soldiers and asking which one was gay was meant to convey that you can't tell the difference between them. Gay soldiers served and died just like soldiers of every other stripe.
If you really loved these heroes, you'd never agree to war in the first place.

OK I've read enough, raging liberals restating the obvious per usual. lol!

Uh, yeah, I think we got the point! Dah.

We just don't agree with using the photo to push an agenda. NOTHING will change the fact that it is in poor taste, inappropriate, disrespectful, and shows, once again, that some will stoop lower than imaginable.

Uh and I think both parties "agreed to war" and if we didn't go to war then you my friend would not enjoy the life you (I assume) enjoy in the U.S.
But nothing new here either that libs don't want the distasteful job of fighting for their country but would rather just sit back and let someone else do it for them.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:57 AM

37,174 posts, read 19,189,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
[/u][/b]

But nothing new here either that libs don't want the distasteful job of fighting for their country but would rather just sit back and let someone else do it for them.
I went back and looked at the picture in the OP, and as near as I can tell, at least half of them were liberal. Another great RW theory shot to hell.

You are aware that our current wars were started by chickenhawks who all ducked and ran during Viet Nam, aren't you? Bush deserted after he transferred. Cheney, Rumsfeld, and the rest all got deferments.

Cheney, specifically, said he "...had other priorities." than serving in the military. He didn't mind a bit, however, sending America's sons and daughters to die for his and Bush's personal profiteering.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:43 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,627,449 times
Hint: the gay soldier is not inside a coffin.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:48 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Can you spot the gay soldier?
Point very well made. DADT is a ludicrous, archaic ruling. Gay men and women have proudly served this country, and many have died doing so, the least we can do is respect them for who they really are and offer their loved ones the same support we offer other families.

As for the worn out arguments about showering, or being in close confines with gay soldiers, you already are.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:57 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,595,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
This is something the Left never abides by. We saw that during the Iraq war, when they desperately wanted those pictures of coffins coming home, so they could use the images for political purposes.
omg, God forbid, we use images to STOP THE ENDLESS WARS! Better to abuse the real soldiers, is this what you want???

Old 09-23-2010, 08:01 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
In the 1940s the majority of white soldiers polled said they did not want to be in units with blacks, even fewer wanted to be in units with jews. The military doesn't get a vote. The commander needs to take command and end this thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies