Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 09:25 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
.. Unfortunate,mly the programs that will reduce costs won't hit until 2014 as the program is phased in... seems it needs to move faster so people can see how it works.

THERE is not one thing in the health insurance law that will reduce costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 09:28 AM

294 posts, read 351,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Check it out. As of today, Fairness equity and progress to insure millions of Americans and their children. PROTECTED from the pond scum of the haters. This is great news.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/23/he...eintro.html?hp

The view lost in the benefits highlighted in the story is that during a downturn in the economy, making an overhaul of our healthcare system which places a greater burden on the economic machine that would support it, will place an even harder burden on the potential recovery. The pond scum of haters are well aware that the prosperity necessary to provide for this innovation was not in place when it's implementation began. Going to Men's Warehouse and buying ten suits that look great on you and should aid you in presenting yourself to clients is great, but spending $5000 before you actually get the job is kinda silly.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:48 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
UnAmerican? Huh? Children who have pre-existing conditions can now be covered by a plan that their parents pay for! What the heck are you talking about? How is this an "entitlement?"
It is an entitlement because htey are not pay the true cost for that coverage. Others, whose children don't have pre-existing conditions, are paying part of the cost. If you want to know what the full cost would be you would have to look at the cost charged for inclouding the pre-existing condition by an insurance company that ws not required to cover it. Oh, well, you will say that no one will offer that option at any price unless they are forced to. Well then, that should tell you how high the true cost really is.

Quote:
When I sold health insurance, I called on a small business owner whose son had asthma and had to tell him my company could only insure his family if I added a pre-existing exclusion clause for his son's condition. Then, if his son didn't have any attacks for a year, he could get coverage. These people were paying over $800 a month for an HSA with a $10,000 deductible. How was this "American?"
So, you've just shown, from your own experience, how it IS possible to get coverange for pre-existing conditions under pre-Obamacare. It just means there is a waiting period. That is one way insurance companies can work to mitigate risks and bring the cost of the policy down or, in this case, to be able to offer the policy at all.
Quote:
Actually, I wish all of us were on the same plan that Congressional leaders have. They're getting great benefits because they work for the government! So I do agree that the health reform bill still needs to be improved so we get the same benefits as the people who elect and whose salaries come from the taxpayers.
I agree that any option lawmakers have should be available to the general public. Also, congress should be barred from passing any laws that do not apply to themselves as well. Congressional pages and other workers are exempt from many of the labor laws that congress has passed over the years. If the media did their job and reported on these things there would be public outrage. Instead, they continue to enable corruption and incompetence.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:48 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
I agree that any option lawmakers have should be available to the general public. Also, congress should be barred from passing any laws that do not apply to themselves as well. Congressional pages and other workers are exempt from many of the labor laws that congress has passed over the years. If the media did their job and reported on these things there would be public outrage. Instead, they continue to enable corruption and incompetence.
Okay, then we agree on some issues. I am very concerned about the high cost of insurance, not only becoming eligible for it. I also agree with those who have written that the health care bill, the way it is currently written, does not address the high cost of medical care.

I know if I get too personal, I'll be attacked on this board, so I keep editing out what I'm going through now. I never expect anyone to pay for my medical bills, but so many who have employer benefits or have never been sick don't understand what it's like to need them. Even if you're self-employed and pay for insurance, often your only option is to get a high deductible plan which means that if you are hospitalized, you pay the first $10,000. Add up the premiums and the deductible and you've already paid about $20,000 before you get a dime of coverage. I'm a responsible person with good credit, but this is too much of a burden.

OTOH, if you're totally broke you can get government assistance. So the average self-employed taxpayer is screwed. Although I support a single-payer system, one reason I believe we should at least have a Public Option is so I can have access to the same benefits that members of Congress enjoy. After all, they're supposed to be serving us!

Old 09-23-2010, 01:38 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikensquire View Post
The view lost in the benefits highlighted in the story is that during a downturn in the economy, making an overhaul of our healthcare system which places a greater burden on the economic machine that would support it, will place an even harder burden on the potential recovery. The pond scum of haters are well aware that the prosperity necessary to provide for this innovation was not in place when it's implementation began. Going to Men's Warehouse and buying ten suits that look great on you and should aid you in presenting yourself to clients is great, but spending $5000 before you actually get the job is kinda silly.
Your point?

Old 09-23-2010, 01:40 PM

[quote=workingclasshero;16000533]THERE is not one thing in the health insurance law that will reduce costs.[/quote

So what?

Old 09-23-2010, 01:47 PM

294 posts, read 351,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Your point?
If you can't understand it, explaining it would seem condescending. I'm sure there are some nice things in the design of the healthcare initiative, the overall cost, implementation and burden it carries have been exposed to be far in excess, especially in light of our current economic condition, of what our country can afford at this time. All the businesses struggling to succeed before this actually is fully imposed upon them, will jetison their own health rewards in favor of government policies, the penalties are dwarfed by the cost of compliance. That's my point.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:53 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
To those who opposed this health care reform what would have been a better way to deal with those with pre-existing conditions?
Let them suffer and/or die, of course. I mean, it's obviously my fault I was born with a debilitating wholly genetic disorder that requires expensive medication.

Although, it's quite amazing how their tune changes when one of THEIR family members gets diagnosed and they can't afford insurance or meds.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:19 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Let them suffer and/or die, of course. I mean, it's obviously my fault I was born with a debilitating wholly genetic disorder that requires expensive medication.

Although, it's quite amazing how their tune changes when one of THEIR family members gets diagnosed and they can't afford insurance or meds.
Well, you could always go rob a convenience store or three to get the money you need. I mean, that's what Obamacare does, except the government does the robbing for you and then gives you the money in the form of health insurance. Obamacare is nothing more than income redistribution combined with anti-incentives to insurance companies that will eventually put them out of business and force people into a government plan (his real objective).

Old 09-23-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikensquire View Post
If you can't understand it, explaining it would seem condescending. I'm sure there are some nice things in the design of the healthcare initiative, the overall cost, implementation and burden it carries have been exposed to be far in excess, especially in light of our current economic condition, of what our country can afford at this time. All the businesses struggling to succeed before this actually is fully imposed upon them, will jetison their own health rewards in favor of government policies, the penalties are dwarfed by the cost of compliance. That's my point.
ok. you don't sound arrogant. you sound poorly informed. the point is to act as if the United States cares about it's citizens, this is the first baby step and it is not without pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies