Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2010, 09:26 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You were using the radical factions as an example, the worshippers fromlower Mnahattan are completely different. Yes there are are some groups of radical muslims do we hold the Imam responsible for their behaviour?
I do when he so irresponsibly and insensitively plans to build a mosque right under the nose of two buildings that perished at the hands of muslim radicals...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not true at all.

if this is not true, then why did they take prayer out of schools?
Why did they stop children from singing beautiful songs like "O Little Town of Bethlehem", or Oh Come All Ye Faithful...Silent Night, out of Christmas School Pagents, but replace them with songs like Frosty the Snowman?
Why do they take the word God off of public buildings
Why for years now have they tried to keep us from saying Merry Christmas? And I'm sure others could add way more to this list...

It is true, it's a double standard Mighty Queen...we are supposed to have more tollerence?

Old 09-27-2010, 10:10 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,845,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Why did they stop children from singing beautiful songs like "O Little Town of Bethlehem", or Oh Come All Ye Faithful...Silent Night, out of Christmas School Pagents, but replace them with songs like Frosty the Snowman?
Why for years now have they tried to keep us from saying Merry Christmas? And I'm sure others could add way more to this list...

It is true, it's a double standard Mighty Queen...we are supposed to have more tollerence?
Your first 2 examples are attempts to make public schools religiously neutral. It was not only non-Christians, but also some Christians that objected to the prior practices on religious grounds.

There are religious displays on public buildings that have been determined to be acceptable under law. Displays favoring a particular religion have routinely been disallowed.

As a private citizen, you are free to say Merry Christmas to whoever you want. If you work for a company, they get to dictate how they want you to greet their customers when you are on the job. Personally, I don't tend to wish Merry Christmas to people whose religious beliefs are unknown to me.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:41 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:

They took the program of school-run Christian prayer out of schools because not everyone is a Christian and it's wrong to make people who don't believe a certain way practice the beliefs of others in a governmental facility. This is not difficult to understand.

Your second statement is inaccurate in my experience. My daughter's high school chorus did indeed sing Christmas songs in their holiday program, as well as some Jewish songs, and one young woman with most beautiful voice did "Breath of Heaven (Mary's song)" as a solo one year. The band also played songs that were specifically Christmas music, and the band director is a Jew.

Re taking God off of public buildings--same answer as the first. I personally have never heard of this happening, however, but then again I can't think of any public buildings that have God on them anyway.

Who has tried to keep you from saying "Merry Christmas"? No one can stop you from saying Merry Christmas. I say Merry Christmas all the time to people who celebrate Christmas, and people say it to me.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Your first 2 examples are attempts to make public schools religiously neutral. It was not only non-Christians, but also some Christians that objected to the prior practices on religious grounds.

There are religious displays on public buildings that have been determined to be acceptable under law. Displays favoring a particular religion have routinely been disallowed.

As a private citizen, you are free to say Merry Christmas to whoever you want. If you work for a company, they get to dictate how they want you to greet their customers when you are on the job. Personally, I don't tend to wish Merry Christmas to people whose religious beliefs are unknown to me.
A few weeks ago, all the goyim in our office were yelling "Happy New Year' to our Jewish coworkers who were leaving early for the day. And not just because we're happy that rush-hour traffic will be a little lighter that night, either.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I do when he so irresponsibly and insensitively plans to build a mosque right under the nose of two buildings that perished at the hands of muslim radicals...
You're still not making a logical point. What specifically is irresponsible and insensitive about building a mosque there just because of what other people who are not you did just because they claimed to do it for your religion if you don't believe as they did?

Not that it's logical either to say someone is building something under the nose of something that no longer exists, but I suppose you want to say that it's being built under the nose of the buildings that are replacing the ones that were destroyed. Which really isn't logical, either, since Muslims are also involved in the rebuilding of those, and that's not a problem for anyone.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:22 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post

Yes, one might offend some one. What are they afraid of really?
Quote:
Judges rule against Utah highway crosses for fallen troopers | Deseret News

In 2005, the atheist group sued the Utah Highway Patrol and the Utah Highway Patrol Association, a private entity aimed at supporting troopers and their families, to get the crosses taken off state lands.
Quote:
Christians on the defensive | Radio Netherlands Worldwide "If it'd said 'Allah Akbar', the council wouldn't have dared to try and remove it," says Marianne Bons, a member of the Dutch Reformed Protestant Church. She's talking about a farm roof on which 'Jesus saves' is painted in enormous letters. The council says the text has to go. The farm's owner, evangelical Christian Joop van Ooijen, is refusing to obey. The affair has united Christians of all persuasions behind the message.
Now what exactly has been determined acceptable under 'whose' law?

Oh and by the way, there's more...but I'll just stop here, but if any one would like more examples of double standards and Tolerance the New American way, let me know.

However, you are right about the prayer. College backtracks on discipline for prayer

Free speech though if ruled on enough then it won't be just Christians that will feel the effects of those rulings. The first amendment is under attack from various angles.
Quote:
Church warned that flag of Jesus is 'religious advertising' - Telegraph
Rev Mark Binney, vicar of St Andrew’s Church, Hampton, Worcs, said he had been told he needed planning permission if he wanted to fly a flag “advertising Christianity” in future.

The flag was put up outside the church in the week preceding Easter Sunday displaying the words 'This is Holy Week' and an image of Jesus on the cross.
If one can't have freedom of expression outside of their own church well where can the First Amendment, then apply?

Old 09-27-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
WilliamSmyth

favoring what particular religion?

Quote:
Personally, I don't care what you want or don't want to say, and no one but no one will dictate to me, what to say at Christmas time and take my beliefs away from me...period.

double standards.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:49 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
favoring what particular religion?

Personally, I don't care what you want or don't want to say, and no one but no one will dictate to me, what to say at Christmas time and take my beliefs away from me...period.

double standards.
What is in context and what is out of context?
When a person wishes another to have a Merry Christmas the intent is to be a 'warm wish' from the person's heart generally taken in the sincerity in which it is meant to be taken. The person that is on the receiving end can take it at that or, the person can make an issue of it.

Now we come to the building at ground zero. I say building, because I am unclear as to what this building is suppose to be. The story keeps changing and keeps me guessing as to the 'intent' of how it is to be received.

It is my understanding that when the Imam is questioned a straight forward question, he tends to dance around that question saying, 'out of context'.

My mother use to have a saying she told to me, 'lie to me once', whose to say, you won't lie to me again'. Right or wrong, she made a good point. She always did.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:55 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,452 times
millions of Americans are offended and opposed to the new Islamic center proposed so close to ground zero. All of the legal arguments, and other talk about how it is a peaceful project will not change many opinions. A true act of peace would be to agree to move it somewhere less controversial so that people could see the muslims in a more peaceful light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies