Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 11:54 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I said it's very sad, that under our constitution, those Muslims who mean us harm can use our constitution against us...sneak in underneath the radar...do you actually believe that all Muslim/Americans are loyal to our country?
So the Muslims that will be attending this Mosque are people who want to "do us harm" and are "sneaking in under the radar". There is no chance that they are Americans just like you and me that want to just practice their religion?

Do you actually believe that all Christians are loyal to our Country?

You are making a LOT of assumptions about Americans here. Just because they're Muslim, you automatically assume that they are not loyal to our country. Do you realize how many are American born and raised? How many died in the actual WTC attacks? How many assisted with the recovery? How many have died overseas fighting to protect those very rights that you don't think they deserve?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
You could have not read the article, b/c it was written by a woman.

There is no proof either way, that is irrevelent, I'm saying, what if it's true, what if, they dedicate it on 2016...what if? No one knows for sure until it happens
my point is, what if?

It might not happen, chances are good that it might not happen, however, what if?
The New York Post is a tabloid paper on the level of the National Enquirer. They have NO credibility whatsoever, yet you immediately believe them.

The Iman has come out himself and said that there will be NO ceremonies regarding the mosque on any 9/11 anniversary. Sorry to burst your bubble. It seems like you want it to happen.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:57 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Some Muslims may be NOT dangerous but Islam itself is suspect and should be guarded against...

Founded in 1969, the OIC is now a 56-state collective which includes every Islamic nation on Earth. Currently headed by Turkey’s Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu, the OIC thus represents the entire Muslim umma (or global community of individual Muslims) and is the largest single voting bloc in the United Nations.
Thank you for coming in and posting this, as you have seen, I certainly fall short when it comes to a savvy education on this subject, so, you have helped to explain more facts in detail....

thank you

Old 09-23-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Thank you for coming in and posting this, as you have seen, I certainly fall short when it comes to a savvy education on this subject, so, you have helped to explain more facts in detail....

thank you
What he just posted has absolutely nothing to do with Muslim Americans.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
newtoli;The New York Post is a tabloid paper on the level of the National Enquirer. They have NO credibility whatsoever, yet you immediately believe them.
tell you what, years ago I would have agreed with you, but the tabloids have certainly come a long way since then....and today, there is a great desire to be the first with the most...so, competition has forced them to become somewhat more legitimate....

Quote:
The Iman has come out himself and said that there will be NO ceremonies regarding the mosque on any 9/11 anniversary. Sorry to burst your bubble. It seems like you want it to happen.
well, sorry to burst yours, but he can say anything he wants, this is America....

Old 09-23-2010, 12:02 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Missed the byline, my mistake.

Quote:
There is no proof either way, that is irrevelent, I'm saying, what if it's true, what if, they dedicate it on 2016...what if? No one knows for sure until it happens
my point is, what if?
By your own admission, now, your point is far-fetched hypothetical. What if we stopped wasting electrons on your paranoid fantasies and spent our time debating the more likely outcome - i.e., Muslims will have a place to play basketball in New York? Face it, this is a stupid wedge issue brought up to garner a few extra votes. In six months, nobody will care. It'll be consigned to history's dustbin of overblown emotional issues, like, say, flag burning amendments.

Quote:
To me, just the idea that they they bought the land so close to ground zero for the purpose of building it, speaks volumns to me...that is blatent insensitivity....and surely raises flags about agenda
Consider it a chance to test the courage of your convictions. Do you have the nerve to live the values of the Constitution when it makes you uncomfortable?

Old 09-23-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Dane Missed the byline, my mistake.
No problem

Quote:
By your own admission, now, your point is far-fetched hypothetical. What id we stopped wasting electrons on your paranoid fantasies and spent our time debating the more likely outvcoem - i.e., Muslims will have a place to play basketball in New York?
So what if my point is hypothetical...what if it is true? Muslims can play basketball where ever they want....

Quote:
Consider it a chance to test the courage of your convictions. Do you have the nerve to live the values of the Constitution when it makes you uncomfortable?
Freedom of religion does not mean religion is governed by law....

Old 09-23-2010, 12:07 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
The New York Post is a tabloid paper on the level of the National Enquirer. They have NO credibility whatsoever, yet you immediately believe them.

Today's NY Post headline lets us know WHY J. Lo is an Idol Judge. (I imagine many of the "mega-mosque" catchphrase club are squealing "OMG! She IS???")

I do have a personal favorite NY Post headline, more than 30 years old. Carmine Galante was whacked in true NY Mafia style in the back garden of a Little Italy restaurant. The front page of the Post the next day was a close-up photo of Galante's face, bullet hole through the eye, blood streaming from the socket, cigar hanging out of his mouth, and the huge block letters reading "GREED!"

The Post photographer must have gotten there before the cops did.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:09 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:

my point is, what if?

It might not happen, chances are good that it might not happen, however, what if? To me, just the idea that they they bought the land so close to ground zero for the purpose of building it, speaks volumns to me...that is blatent insensitivity....and surely raises flags about agenda

You should base your opinion of the mosque on what you know, not what might be. There were glaring errors and misinformation in the Post Article, that is a fact and have seen no corrections or a retraction. This should tell you what the Posts agenda was, to inflame people and increase circulation. Its been stated already before that no one takes their paper as a serious publication.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:25 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
yes, and it is not appropriate to build it so close to the WTC.
lets see if you can explain why it needs to be built there? Could they not build a cultural center somewhere else in NYC? I believe the NY governor has offered to help them find a better location. And, considering all the opposition to this place, is the "cultural center" really going to serve its purpose? It doesn't appear that other cultures are thrilled about the prospects. It is like building a Steakhouse in a neighborhood with 99% vegans

How so? Or were you just aiming for a clever analogy? I can only guess that you are referring to the people who lost family members that day.

The fact is that the people who live in the neighborhood where the mosque exists approved the plans--the NY Post story about that approval IS what started this controversy, remember?

1. Do you for some reason think that the families of the dead live anywhere near the World Trade Center?

2. Are you aware that there is a significant number of 9/11 families who understand what this mosque/MCC is about and who support the idea because unity and understanding is also what they are about and work very hard toward out of the memory of their dead loved ones?

3. One, not the only, but a significant one of the reasons that the WTC reconstruction was held up in the early years was because some of the 9/11 families objected to ANYTHING EVER being built on the site again. The time came when they had to be told gently but firmly that their grief did not entitle them to make major urban planning decisions for much-needed acreage of a large city on a small island. Their considerations were taken into account by the fact that the memorial is located where the two towers stood, and they were invited to be part of its planning and design and execution. How far do you feel that the influence of the families of the 9/11 dead who oppose the urban planning of others should extend? And for how long? This decade? Next decade?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies