Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Concealed carry or open carry of a handgun..?
Concealed is better 53 63.86%
Open is better 23 27.71%
No carry at all of handguns by civilians... 7 8.43%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 10:53 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times

Advertisements

I vote for concealed, although I'm not opposed to open carry (we have both). I like flying under the radar, so to speak. I don't like drawing attention to myself. I try to be as invisible as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 04:47 PM

433 posts, read 459,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Even though you are joking, I agree. I think everyone (except convited felons and illegal aliens) should be required to own a gun -- just like Obama wants to require everyone to own medical insurance. Everyone sould be required to take a course on gun safety. Everyone should be required to participate in shooting at a range or hunting event once every 90 days at a minimum.
Very good comparison with the required medical insurance, would this make the Military the 'Public option'? A mandate requiring membership in a gun owners association must be required as well- NRA anyone?

Dano

Old 09-27-2010, 05:08 PM

433 posts, read 459,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenge2ful View Post
There are pros & cons for each way.
Let's hear your arguments.

Personally,I believe more in deterrence ( open carry )
than in possible surprise (concealed carry).

So,I voted for open carry.
Of course.both ways should be legal...
Concealed- for tactical advantage. IMO deterrence isn't possible with low life perps, OC simply gives them the opportunity to do a sneak attack.

Dano

Old 09-27-2010, 05:46 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenge2ful
There are pros & cons for each way.
Let's hear your arguments.

Personally,I believe more in deterrence ( open carry )
than in possible surprise (concealed carry).

So,I voted for open carry.
Of course.both ways should be legal...
There are good arguments (as has been evidenced) for both ways. But like you say, both ways should be legal. I have a concealed carry permit in Texas (because that is the only type issued), but would like to see the law changed to allow either open or concealed once one passes the necessary requirements for a permit to be issued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoTex View Post
Concealed- for tactical advantage. IMO deterrence isn't possible with low life perps, OC simply gives them the opportunity to do a sneak attack.
Dano
Yeah, I definitely see what you say as a point in favor of concealed if it comes down to one or the other mode of carry.

At the same time though (and maybe this has been brought up earlier) low-life perps generally tend to pick on what they perceive as obviously easy targets and if they see someone openly carrying, I would say chances are they will by-pass that person in favor of finding another they are not so sure are "packing".

Yes, the tactical advantage you mention is well-taken...provided that the intended victim is able to get their weapon out in time to effectively use it.

However, because these predatory low-lifes are "skilled" in their art of sizing up the potential vicitim, they mostly attack weaker looking individuals (i.e. elderly people, handicapped, smaller women, etc) and know ahead of time they can likely overpower them.

On other other hand, if someone is openly armed, then the chances are much less likely, I would think, they will be accosted. Especially if there are several more average citizens in the vicinity who are also openly carrying and potentially ready to come to the assistance of an innocent third-party...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies