Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Concealed carry or open carry of a handgun..?
Concealed is better 53 63.86%
Open is better 23 27.71%
No carry at all of handguns by civilians... 7 8.43%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 07:08 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times

Advertisements

OMG, folks get hit over the head and mugged when a thug spies a nice watch on someone. I can only imagine what would happen if we walked around with guns strapped to our thighs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 07:21 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
so suppose you are in McD's and someone comes in with bad intentions. now a customer has a gun, doesnt that make it prone to escalate into a gun battle? I'd rather they get what they came for and leave, then chase them. This thought f unknown persons carring guns doesn't make me feel secure.
Those with CCW's are neither law enforcement nor vigilantes. Most people will try to leave the scenario you hav described above as quickly as possible rather than to get caught in a gunfight.

I am under no obligation to attempt to stop the individual with "bad intentions". My responsibility is to myself and my loved ones and our safety. Unless a lethal threat is imminent to us there is no reason to allow a person with "bad intentions" to ever know I may be carrying. I have no wish to be a hero. If I wanted to be law enforcement I'd attend academy and become a paid sworn officer.

With all do respect, those who post such fears should really go through a CCW class in their own state so that they understand the lethal force laws. One can take the classes in most instances without ever wanting a CCW or owning a firearm. Educate yourself rather than seeking chicken little scenarios. The sky will not fall.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:23 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Concealed. Open carry just gets you shot in the back.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:27 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Open is better. I then know which people I don't want to be within 100 feet of...

Road rage, anyone?

Old 09-24-2010, 07:42 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,751,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
I vote 'Concealed Carry', it keeps the bad guys guessing. Know what I mean?
Awhhh but open carry , they see what you have right away....

Old 09-24-2010, 07:43 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,320 times
My two cents;
Open carry I think would be the way to go, of course we already have an open carry policy here. Well, we probably have a lot more concealed weapons too.
I guess my point is, "Carry a gun!"

Old 09-24-2010, 09:51 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
OMG, folks get hit over the head and mugged when a thug spies a nice watch on someone. I can only imagine what would happen if we walked around with guns strapped to our thighs.

Concealed carry is going on all around you and you have no idea who's carrying.Believe it or not there's a lot of women now who carry and I see more and more every year at the range.

You ask "What would happen if we walked around with guns strapped to our thighs."

Well for starters more bad guys would think twice about robbing you or car jacking you if they thought EVERYONE was armed!

Old 09-24-2010, 10:46 AM

126 posts, read 224,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Concealed. Open carry just gets you shot in the back.
as oppose to getting shot in the front for conceal carry?

why would you shoot someone in the back? do you like to shoot cops in the back as well? if a bad guy already has intentions of killing someone, he will kill them regardless if they are open carry or concealed.

if everyone open carries, then it will become the norm and it will not attract attention. i live in open carry friendly georgia. i see many open carry dads with their family at certain restaurants.

anyone that shoots someone will attract attention to themselves. many cell phone cameras will start posting it on the web.

-a|ex

Old 09-24-2010, 10:58 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Although open carry would certainly deter a would be attacker it would likely attract the police. Even in places where open carry is legal there's always someone who's going to call the cops to report the person with a gun. Do you really feel like getting stopped by the cops several times a day?
Yes, you are correct, if it were more common place it would be no big deal and I might consider open carry here in Pa.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:19 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,299 times
I prefer that the low-lifes do not know who will bite back. If you leave your gun visible and a perp is intent on doing harm in a public place he will take you out first. I'd rather be the one giving him a surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies