Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Concealed carry or open carry of a handgun..?
Concealed is better 53 63.86%
Open is better 23 27.71%
No carry at all of handguns by civilians... 7 8.43%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 11:49 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
so suppose you are in McD's and someone comes in with bad intentions. now a customer has a gun, doesnt that make it prone to escalate into a gun battle? I'd rather they get what they came for and leave, then chase them. This thought f unknown persons carring guns doesn't make me feel secure.
Several fairly recent incidents might not have resulted in the carnage they did if that "unknown" person HAD BEEN CARRYING their firearm with them. A vast majority of people who carry firearms, either concealed or in the open, myself included, know we have a tremendous amount of responsibility simply by carrying a weapon. That includes the responsibility of defending others.

I might suggest you look for stories of a situation being taken to an extreme merely by a "unknown" person carrying a concealed weapon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 12:43 PM

296 posts, read 228,495 times
I am pleased by the high quality comments...

At last ,a thread where people conversate,instead of bashing each other's opinion...

In the end,I guess the opinions will be divided 50-50...

That's logical.

Keep them coming...

Old 09-24-2010, 02:47 PM

449 posts, read 934,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Concealed for me. Open carry attracts too much needless attention.

Should I be unfortunate enough to be in a business that gets robbed I'd rather the people doing the robbing not identify me as a primary target. Carrying concealed makes it much easier to blend in with the rest of the crowd.

Gun retention is another concern with open carry. Should you somehow wind up in an altercation an exposed pistol is an inviting handle for your opponent. There's a good chance most of your energy will be focused on retaining your weapon rather than ending the conflict.

I like the idea of open carry from a perspective of using your rights to avoid losing them but can't get excited about putting myself at an immediate tactical disadvantage by advertising that I'm armed.
This is a man who understands tactical advantage. Last thing I'd want is to be the guy at the cash register with a gun showing when some punk comes in to rob the place. Guess who's getting shot first.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:58 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,324 times
Open carry lets you get harassed by police who dont know the law! Other then that its the best choice

Old 09-24-2010, 03:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Say..if these radical Muslims keep getting more radical with their demands..then I might be swayed to the open carry side.

I don't like what I'm reading about what is happening in countries all over the world lately.
Radical Muslims are making demands in the name of their religion and are getting their way.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:08 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Concealed, if they want to be morons they don't need to brag about it

Old 09-24-2010, 03:17 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
So anyone who exercises their 2nd amendment rights is moron huh? Good to know.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:20 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,084,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post

And ya need to leave AZ if you're gonna boycott AZ.

Go back to Kalifornia.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:21 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,084,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Open carry lets you get harassed by police who dont know the law! Other then that its the best choice

Tactical advantage is gone with open carry.

Never heard of anyone here in AZ that was harassed by the PD for open carry either.

Whatever.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:26 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Tactical advantage is gone with open carry.

Never heard of anyone here in AZ that was harassed by the PD for open carry either.

Whatever.
You'd be amazed at how many CA cops do not know the law, and will arrest you for open carry, although you can sue if they get too crazy about it. And they always say ignorance of the law is no excuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies