Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 01:12 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,458,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
These 21 pages tell you lots of things, some contradictory things, but mostly this: it is a serious of compromises and milquetoast rhetorical flourishes in search of unanimity among House Republicans because the House GOP does not have the fortitude to lead boldly in opposition to Barack Obama.
Quote:
The pledge begins by lamenting “an arrogant and out-of-touch government of self-appointed elites” issuing “mandates”, then proceeds to demand health care mandates on insurance companies that will drive up the costs of health care for ordinary Americans.The plan wants to put “government on the path to a balanced budget” without doing anything substantive. There is a promise to “immediately reduce spending” by cutting off stimulus funds. Wow. Exciting. There is a plan to cut Congress’s budget, which is pretty much what was promised in 1994. Seriously? In 4 years did the Democrats really blow up the Congressional budget? No — the GOP did that too.
Quote:
The entirety of this Promise is laughable. Why? It is an illusion that fixates on stuff the GOP already should be doing while not daring to touch on stuff that will have any meaningful longterm effects on the size and scope of the federal government. This document proves the GOP is more focused on the acquisition of power than the advocacy of long term sound public policy. All the good stuff in it is stuff we expect them to do. What is not in it is more than a little telling that the House GOP has not learned much of anything from 2006.
Perhaps the Most Ridiculous Thing to Come Out of Washington Since George McClellan | RedState
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 06:42 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,851,786 times
I couldn't agree more. They make no promises that are specific except they will reduce the deficit... right like a Repug knows how to do that, or make government smaller, again they only have contrary experience, the the great one... they will increase military spending...is that so they can involve us in Iran or Korea?

Their promises are regurgitated from the past, with nothing they will actually do or are capable of doing. They won't even identify what programs they are planning on eliminating... What are they affraid even their own will turn against them?

I was amazed at how they could say it with a straight face.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:20 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,012,155 times
I agree as well; they have no new ideas, only a continuation of what the K Street boys dished out...the very ideas that have nearly bankrupted the country, and have caused the civilized people of the world to believe that we've lost our minds. The GOP complains about "revisionist history," but they don't mind using it themselves in trying to pretend that the U.S. was in great shape until President Obama was elected, conveniently glossing-over the Bush 43 snafus because, well, we don't have to look at his beady little eyes every day. His debacles don't count in the new GOP history. More astounding hypocrisy.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:02 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,458,563 times
This article was taken from a right wing website too, notice how the GOP faithfuls avoided this one like the plague. Even Republicans realize how dumb this "plan" is.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:06 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,423,802 times
Well this shows me that neither party has any solid leg to stand on.
Neither is campaigning on anything they did or didn't do last year and this.
None of the bills passed this year and last makes either one look good.

Neither party has any clue yet they want us to send them to DC to do the best thing for us..what a joke, what a sick joke.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:08 AM

20,454 posts, read 12,369,530 times
blah blah blah.

the funny thing is, these guys with their silly worthless document are going to WAX you liberals....

Old 09-24-2010, 10:16 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,912,698 times
Why do you think so many people consider themselves either tea partiers or sympathizers?

Old 09-24-2010, 10:39 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,199,651 times
"Contract FOR America" is nearly word for word the same as 1994's "Contract With America." You have to just LAUGH. The republican's claimed they couldn't fully implement it during the Clinton admin because of Clinton (a time of prosperity and huge budget surpluses). They had TOTAL control of this country for 8 years--they could do whatever they wanted with zero obstruction, and look where their contract put us then. No thanks.

I was a life long moderate republican until the late in the Bush admin, when I figured out that my party had dramatically changed over the years (I hadn't) and I started voting Dem. My biggest fear is that these radicals are going to take over the country and put us in a depression. You can't cut spending and cut taxes even further in a recession. If I raised my expenses and cut my income, I'd go broke. When we run two wars, and then cut taxes, it's the same thing. Now the republicans want to cut taxes again, and dismantle the social safety net programs that were put in place after the LAST DEPRESSION--the programs we created because they stabilize the economy and society in times of economic chaos? It's all just crazy...

As far as taxes go--we aren't in the over $250,000.00 crowd, but we are in the over $120,000.00 group (top 10% of earners) plus I'm a small business owner. We could easily absorb a 1 or 2% tax increase into our budget, and we're not even in the group that they're looking to raise--I can't imagine that people making nearly twice our income couldn't do it much more easily. Taxes are already the lowest now that they've ever been. The trickle down argument just doesn't fly--how's that been working since the Bush tax cuts?

Old 09-24-2010, 10:50 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,199,651 times
As far as the Obama admin goes--we're only a little over a year and a half into his administration. In that time, we've had to try to get a grip on two wars, and the worst economic crisis (left by his predecessor) since the great depression. Anyone who works with turning around broken businesses knows that it's at least a 2-3 year process--I can't see how the country is any different. The fanatical craziness by the right wingers is all about politics and has nothing to do with substantive ways to bring the country out of this mess. They should be ashamed of themselves. It's un-American.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:16 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,413,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
As far as the Obama admin goes--we're only a little over a year and a half into his administration. In that time, we've had to try to get a grip on two wars, and the worst economic crisis (left by his predecessor) since the great depression. Anyone who works with turning around broken businesses knows that it's at least a 2-3 year process--I can't see how the country is any different. The fanatical craziness by the right wingers is all about politics and has nothing to do with substantive ways to bring the country out of this mess. They should be ashamed of themselves. It's un-American.
Great posts, I'd rep you again if I could. I truly fear for this country and what will happen if this extreme right-wing element takes over. As you stated, trickle-down economics is a proven folly. What are they thinking? It seems like the hardcore far-right Republicans are so bitter about Obama that they will do anything to regain power and if they don't get total control then they just turn obstructionist. There is even talk of shutting down Congress again which would be much more devastating than the last time in 1996(I believe) as we are in far worse shape than we were under Clinton. It's like they decree anyone who doesn't agree as un-American while systematically working to destroy the gains made since FDR. I just don't get it. These ppl are not true Conservatives anyway. They cry for an almost non-existent gov't while trying to use said gov't to step in against anything they don't agree with, total hypocrisy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies