Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 08:01 PM

152 posts, read 186,006 times

Advertisements

For those of you whose health insurance premiums have been the same for 10 years, congratulations. You are the exceptions. I have been paying health insurance premiums through my company all my life, and for the past 10 years, my premiums have gone up, my deductibles have gone up, and my copays have gone up, all dramatically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 08:07 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Since 1960, annual growth in health care costs have been between 5% and 16%. When adjusted to take into account general inflation, that growth is between 4% and 9% above general inflation.

U.S. National Health Expenditures

What the "foaming at the mouth" brigade need to understand is that we have a structural problem with health care in this country and have had for 50 years. I don't think that "Obamacare" is the answer to fixing it but neither is going back to the status-quo.
However, revoking Obamacare and putting into place a structure that actually addresses costs, quality and availability of care, competition among insurers (across state lines), tort reform so that physicians can practice preventive medicine rather than defensive medicine, will be a huge improvement.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:10 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Wrong. How would you know anyway?

My rates have been the same since 2001.

This is the first rate change in 9 years thanks to the scam care bill.

The letter telling me that the rates have changed even mentions the new laws taking effect next month was the purpose of the needed rate change.

Thanks dems and Obama for screwing Americans who have EARNED and PAY for their healthcare over big time.

You aint seen nothing yet, the bills will continue to go up to cover the massive spending for nothing inside this scam bill.
Health care costs have skyrocketed over the past ten years. What do you think the letter is going to say. We are raising rates because we are greedy bastards??

Old 09-23-2010, 08:10 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
However, revoking Obamacare and putting into place a structure that actually addresses costs, quality and availability of care, competition among insurers (across state lines), tort reform so that physicians can practice preventive medicine rather than defensive medicine, will be a huge improvement.
In general terms, I agree with you

But there are things in Obamacare that should not be revoked but which would be included in a far reaching structural reform. Obamacare is not all bad. The problem is that it is a band-aid on a system that is already broken.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:12 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
You mean that thing the GOP was putting forth that would cover only about 3 million of those who were previously uninsured, that would do nothing to insure that being abke to buy across state lines did't turn into a run to the bottom.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:13 PM

355 posts, read 869,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptical View Post
For those of you whose health insurance premiums have been the same for 10 years, congratulations. You are the exceptions. I have been paying health insurance premiums through my company all my life, and for the past 10 years, my premiums have gone up, my deductibles have gone up, and my copays have gone up, all dramatically.
Exactly. And that is why so many have been upset with Obamacare. While its intentions were good, and I applaud the Dems for addressing the issue, the result of Obamacare is that through government mandated and expanded coverage, the insurance companies have new excuses to raise their rates, even though we all know, Obamacare or no Obamacare, they were going to go up anyway. Obamacare didn't really address how to stop the insurance companies from gouging the public but it certainly gave them millions of new customers, when everyone is required to purchase it in a couple years.

The Repubs are planning to repeal it, fine, but is what their proposing, letting people buy cheaper insurance in other states a better solution? What if the cheapest insurance one could find was in Alaska and it cost $700 a month? Again no matter what solution is proposed, price control needs to addressed.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:16 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
He lied to everyone.

My rates just went up almost 700.00 per month thanks to the scam care bill.
That's nothing! My rates are now $36,000 per month.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:17 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post
Exactly. And that is why so many have been upset with Obamacare. While its intentions were good, and I applaud the Dems for addressing the issue, the result of Obamacare is that through government mandated and expanded coverage, the insurance companies have new excuses to raise their rates, even though we all know, Obamacare or no Obamacare, they were going to go up anyway. Obamacare didn't really address how to stop the insurance companies from gouging the public but it certainly gave them millions of new customers, when everyone is required to purchase it in a couple years.

The Repubs are planning to repeal it, fine, but is what their proposing, letting people buy cheaper insurance in other states a better solution? What if the cheapest insurance one could find was in Alaska and it cost $700 a month? Again no matter what solution is proposed, price control needs to addressed.
Good points.

The Swiss also have a largely private system. And yet they manage to deliver health care at almost half the per-capita cost we deliver it at. We need to have a really honest look at why our costs are so high compared to the rest of the developed world while the quality of care we deliver is no better. And if fixing the problem ruffles some vested interests then so be it.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:24 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Tough Questions for Obama About ObamaCare - Merrill Matthews - Right Directions - Forbes

Quote:
It is time for you to stand up and answer some tough questions about the discrepancies between what you claimed about ObamaCare and what everyone now knows it the truth.
Which he never has and which the press won't ask.

Quote:
The president repeatedly asserted they would. And yet report after report shows that within the next few years many if not most people will lose their current coverage—because of ObamaCare.
More lies.

I just can't understand how some can look at what obama said his bill would do and then look at the bill that was passed. How can they deny that the promises were just lies that he had no intention of keeping.

I mean, how can people read what he said THEN and read what the reports say NOW and not admit they have been duped once again?

All he was interested in was getting something, anything, to sign, so he could claim a victory.

Well, that victory is going to doom his party.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:25 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Just last week a windowless van with government plates stopped in front of a house in our neighborhood. The thugs broke down the house door and hauled out the elderly couple that lived in the house. Both were kicking and screaming, but no match for the thugs. One neighbor ran over to watch the commotion. The thugs told him the old couple are going to an undisclosed location to be evaluated by a death panel, and it's likely we'll never see them again.
How much longer before those vans are seen on streets all over America?
This is terrible! I shake with fear all day, every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies