U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 05:23 PM

18,469 posts, read 10,970,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
It seems to me that the level of affluence is much higher now than when I was younger. I was just went back to watch Texas A&M versus Alabama football game and was struck how affluent the students at TAMU seemed now compared to when I was young. When I was young and in college, I had no money for anything. My kids have so much more than we had growing up.

anyway, middle class to me is generally $50K (w/o kids and in a lower cost area) up to $200K (in a lower cost area) or up to $300K in the most expensive areas.
200K in a lower cost area has got to be upper middle class. There is a true distinction now, the 50K is struggling or at least not having many extras, and the 200K in the same area is not. Middle class did not used to struggle.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 05:28 PM

12,275 posts, read 6,753,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
How much of determinig your class level has to do with your location? I hear how some cities and states are more expensive to live in than others. So if you live in a city that's expensive to live in like San Francisco or NYC then some people may find those cities to be more of a struggle financially than other cities or towns where the cost of living is cheaper. So I would think the cost of living of your location can shape your perception of whether or not you're working,middle or upper class. Someone paying San Francisco rent may feel wealthier just by leaving that city for a city where rent is cheaper.
In SF, I'd define middle class as a couple pulling in $300k-600k.

In most of the US, $150k-400k.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:30 PM

33,949 posts, read 21,543,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
People from a working class background box up leftovers at restaurants for consumption the day after. Middle class folk don't.
OR - you could just be on a diet and watching your portions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
200K in a lower cost area has got to be upper middle class. There is a true distinction now, the 50K is struggling or at least not having many extras, and the 200K in the same area is not. Middle class did not used to struggle.
I agree. I grew up in the 70's and we had a 2 bedroom house (only child); two cars, central air, basement (but not finished) ~ vacations every year, etc. We lacked for nothing but it wasn't a lavish lifestyle .

I remember several years ago - the magic number was $50,000 to be happy. Anything over that didn't appear to impact people's 'happiness quotient". That number has changed to $75,000 I believe

Old 10-09-2017, 05:33 PM

12,275 posts, read 6,753,260 times
Quote:
People from a working class background box up leftovers at restaurants for consumption the day after. Middle class folk don't.
Maybe ultra-wasteful middle class folk don't. I always bring a container to put leftovers in, because I can never eat even half of the enormous portions.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:34 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,016,484 times
Quote:
This middle class person does. They give you so much food you can have a complete second meal with those leftovers.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:04 PM

28,048 posts, read 16,679,774 times
Quote:
Sure they did.

I was giving general ranges which of course changes where you are, how many are in the family, etc..., you are free to offer what you consider middle class. Where I live, upper middle class can vary $100K to $250K depending on if you mean a single person are family.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:04 PM

17,838 posts, read 7,500,474 times
Quote:
There have always been struggles.

But I agree with you on the basic numbers. We live high enough on the hog in a low COL area and don't necessarily spend that $200K. My daughter just moved back home, and even single she had a hard time making it in the big city on $54K.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:15 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,527,831 times
The average family income in the country is somewhere around $60k. Even if high cost areas $200,000 is not middle class and yes I live in a high cost area

Old 10-09-2017, 07:18 PM

28,837 posts, read 20,082,630 times
Quote:
Im solidly middle class, 95k and single, but grew up dirt poor so im not wasting food unless its bad.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:52 AM

16,213 posts, read 10,278,664 times
Quote:
The working/middle class I grew up with 70s had two cars, two tvs, two phones, a rec room/extra bedroom in the basement, and we might get mom's old car, or parents would gift us some money toward a car, not buy outright. Kids had after school jobs which is good for them anyway.

Some of us had an inground pool, mostly one level homes but finished basement adds a lot of area. The kids that lived in the bungalows by the river were "poor" - that meant there was no dad or dad could not hold a steady job. Any two parent home with a full time functional working dad could do fine - blue collar, white collar, small business owners - all living together in nice little communities, able to work and live and pay their bills.
Quote:
Sorry but these comments made me giggle.

If you had the bold - you were "rich." Your bungalow friends were blue collar (low middle) to middle/middle class.

FWIW, when I was in high school my household made about $60k per year. We were middle class by that time. We didn't have a rec room or a finished basement. My parents did not put anything on me getting a car or my older brother. We bought our own cars for $1k - saved up over the school year to buy them. When I was in elementary school we were "poor" and actually poverty stricken. We often had our utilities cut off. My mom was on welfare/cash assistance and food stamps. We went to churches to get "government" food (cheese, PB, powdered milk, etc.).

When my mom worked her factory job and made $60k per year, we were middle class income-wise (and fWIW she was married at the time and my step father was an OTR truck driver and made a good income). For our area, we were actually well above the median income range. Hell today in my hometown the median income range is only about $45k.

Anyone who makes $200k is upper middle class to rich, depending on the area. In my area, they'd be rich. My household makes 6 figures, I make around the 90k mark myself, not including my spouse's income. IMO we are "rich" both compared to when I lived in poverty and when I was a teen and we were middle class.

But we don't live above our means and we don't have many household expenses because I'm still a person who is afraid of "payments" and debt and so I go out of my way to never have either due to knowing what it was like to be dirt poor living in the dark without water or gas at times - basically camping in your house eating government cheese sandwiches.

FWIW even with my six figures today, I don't have a finished basement with a rec room and don't have a pool. But I do own my house outright (and others) and I own 3 cars and I go on a vacation once a month and my kids participate in a lot of fun extra-curricular camps and activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies