U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 11:03 AM

27,631 posts, read 19,084,505 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON — Congress sent President Barack Obama a long-delayed bill Thursday to help struggling small businesses with easier credit and other incentives to expand and hire new workers.

Obama gets small-business bill | tennessean.com | The Tennessean

The $40 billion-plus bill is the last vestige of the heralded jobs agenda that Obama and Democrats promoted early this year. They ended up delivering only a fraction of what they promised after emboldened Senate Republicans blocked most of the agenda with filibusters.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 11:09 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,126,613 times
Only a liberal can form a sentence that basically says $40 billion dollars isn't a lot of money. I guess when it's someone Else's money it's easy to say that sort of thing.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:14 AM

31,304 posts, read 29,991,495 times
I would have thought that the Republicans wanted help with small businesses! They appear to simply want nothing to change for the good of the nation. Must be that they only want BIG business and CORPORATIONS be get help?

Old 09-24-2010, 11:21 AM

6,073 posts, read 5,737,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I would have thought that the Republicans wanted help with small businesses! They appear to simply want nothing to change for the good of the nation. Must be that they only want BIG business and CORPORATIONS be get help?
This small business person is not in favor of the lottery-like stimulus programs that benefit some tiny fraction of businesses in arbitrary ways, while costs of the programs and the bloated bureacracies to run them fall on everybody. If you really want to help us, stop trying to "help" us and get out of the way.

I hired a new employee in January, got nothing. The business across the street hired in February, and won the stimulus lottery! Same thing happened with cash for clunkers, the home credit, all that BS. I'm a member of the party of NO...more nonsense. No more nonsense. We've been fed enough. Come on, Election Day!

Old 09-24-2010, 11:26 AM

86,068 posts, read 77,596,443 times
I dunno..the likes of Bechtel and Koch Industries are classified as small business.

I just don't see "Joe & Sons Plumbing" getting this govenment money over the likes of these millionaire small business folks who have their hands in DC pockets

Old 09-24-2010, 11:37 AM

31,304 posts, read 29,991,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
This small business person is not in favor of the lottery-like stimulus programs that benefit some tiny fraction of businesses in arbitrary ways, while costs of the programs and the bloated bureacracies to run them fall on everybody. If you really want to help us, stop trying to "help" us and get out of the way.

I hired a new employee in January, got nothing. The business across the street hired in February, and won the stimulus lottery! Same thing happened with cash for clunkers, the home credit, all that BS. I'm a member of the party of NO...more nonsense. No more nonsense. We've been fed enough. Come on, Election Day!
Well let’s NOT help anyone get a job and back to work! Let’s NOT help any business grow a little and move forward! Let’s just do “nothing” and wait till every business closes their door and everyone becomes unemployed. Sorry you didn’t get a kickback from the government lottery and the guy across the street did. He might be happier about it then you.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:43 AM

27,631 posts, read 19,084,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Only a liberal can form a sentence that basically says $40 billion dollars isn't a lot of money. I guess when it's someone Else's money it's easy to say that sort of thing.
Only someone that labels a person in favor of moving the economy forward a Liberal, is also most likely to be someone in support of extending the Bush tax cuts that cannot be paid for and do nothing to help the middle class. Am I mistaken?

Old 09-24-2010, 11:47 AM

10,876 posts, read 12,730,385 times
Quote:
Republicans only want to help out big business and corporate fat cats. They don't give a damn about small business and the average american.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:11 PM

6,073 posts, read 5,737,516 times
Quote:
Well let’s NOT help anyone get a job and back to work! Let’s NOT help any business grow a little and move forward! Let’s just do “nothing” and wait till every business closes their door and everyone becomes unemployed. Sorry you didn’t get a kickback from the government lottery and the guy across the street did. He might be happier about it then you.
Aksarben, how did this country get out of every downturn over the past 234 years? Hint: the government played a very small role for most of this history, while the country became the most prosperous and wealthiest place on the planet in all of history.

The genius of the American system is that there is a buck to be made by meeting the needs of our fellow citizens. Why is it that whenever you need gasoline, a station appears? How is it that the supermarket never has a glut of apples and a shortage of baked beans? What miracle is responsible for the fact that every good or service we require in our lives is available? The market does all these things. There is no government agency to control the supply of baked beans or the location of gas stations.

The government hurts everybody in order to help anybody. Feeding the hungry, sheltering the poor, OK I'm fine with that. Nailing me so the guy across the street gets a windfall? No way. Stop. Cut it out. We'll be fine--just like always.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:20 PM

4,172 posts, read 6,257,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I dunno..the likes of Bechtel and Koch Industries are classified as small business.

I just don't see "Joe & Sons Plumbing" getting this govenment money over the likes of these millionaire small business folks who have their hands in DC pockets
Isn't there a provision in the bill for a guarantee of 90% - instead of the SBA guarantee of 75%? I am not sure if it made it thru in the final version- but if it is, it will help small business for SBA loans, which are all below the $5 million mark (I think... used to be $2 mil). So, it does help small business seeking loans. Since small business is good in creating jobs, this should help that area too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies