Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 02:29 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
One (not me) could argue that that is a secondary sex trait.
I agree. Just think of what enormous canines gorillas have, despite being vegetarians. Teeth often serve to impress, think of elephants or walruses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 02:38 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Some of you people have no common sense! I'm outta here!

Old 09-24-2010, 03:24 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
I know vegetarians who are living well so my answer is 'no'. Anyway, I eat meat because I want to, and not because I need to.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:33 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,194,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I know vegetarians who are living well so my answer is 'no'. Anyway, I eat meat because I want to, and not because I need to.
Same here, in fact I have a nice rack of maple glazed baby back ribs on the barbie
right now.....yummy!

Old 09-24-2010, 03:36 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,213 times
The General consensus is that it makes you physically stronger but you don't need it in near the excessive amounts that Americans consume it.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:40 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,075 times
The answer is not NO.
The majority of humans who live in cold climates and are involved in physical labor cannot survive on vegetables.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:43 PM

948 posts, read 1,386,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
I can only explain by example, I have an aunt you recently turned 97 years old and she
never ate meat in her lifetime.
My mom lived to 99, as did most my uncles and cousins of that generation Even my fifth a day drinking uncle John. The family continues to do so today. We all eat meat and in fact have a ranching background.
Personal longevity dose not make a case pro or con.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:43 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
It would be a shame if we did not eat venison at our house.

We have to control the deer heard.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:09 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Well first, I agree that meat eating is not a necessity -at least not in modern times - at least not for most people. (Inuits indeed might have an argument, as another poster said.) The list of tasty leafy stuff you posted, while certainly supportive of your argument, is isn't entirely compelling. Okay, some plants can do well in cold weather, but does that mean one can live off a diet of this produce alone and be healthy? See what I mean?
it's not supposed to be a compelling argument. The OP asked about vegetables that could grow in sub-zero temps. I wasn't posing an argument, just showing her (?) a list of possibles, some of which I wasn't even aware (not such a great gardener here) ~ I am a vegetarian and that list is so very far from my entire diet. Where're the cinammon rolls???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
You would do well to remember that we are humans, not some beasts in the jungle Most rules from the animal world don't apply to humans anymore. Just look at the way we life, totally unnatural.
Amen to that...well, most of the time we are not beasts.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:35 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janejanejanejanejane View Post
Yes I am a vegetarian but I am looking for other points of view- not to argue- but just curious on this...

Our teeth are not like an animal's who must eat meat to survive, although I realize centuries ago when there were no freezers to store vegetables for the winter, I suppose meat might have been the only food source, thus we did need to eat meat? OR are there vegetables that can still grow in sub zero temps?

Just kinda looking for different point of views. I am not looking to be convinced one way or another of anything nor will I try convince you to not eat meat.
Yes....... but with some combinations of beans, nuts etc. you can get some additional protein(amino acids), necessary for muscle development etc. Incisor teeth are designed thru natural selection to shear and cut meat and other foods. .

Incisor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Protein Combinations for Vegetarians
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies