Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 01:04 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times

Advertisements

Chris Christie smacks down heckler | The Upshot Yahoo! News - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20100924/el_yblog_upshot/chris-christie-smacks-down-heckler;_ylt=AtkTg.5DlgtJmjNrSiVkMwKs0NUE;_ylu=X3o DMTFpb21qZmVwBHBvcwMzOARzZWMDYWNjb3JkaW9uX21vc3Rfc G9wdWxhcgRzbGsDY2hyaXNjaHJpc3Rp - broken link)

I think that his lecture just gave free publicity to the fact that candidate Meg Whitman refuses to answer any questions from her audiences.

I miss the days when politicians would actually take questions from common American citizens. Every politician makes "canned" statements and plays it safe.
I recall a situation once where candidate Pres Jimmy Carter came to Corpus Christi, Tex in 1980. I think that it was probably the first year that I can remember where an actual Presidential candidate came to our humble city. Before then, we only received the First Ladies or V-P.
Pres Carter took unscreened questions from students at a local Catholic high school. The student asked him why his parents should have to pay taxes when they were paying full tuition at a private school. The Pres hesitated (too long in the opinions of most people) and then said that he "wanted to make sure that public schools were available in case he couldn't go a private school" or something like that. that kid was known as the kid that stumped a President!
But at least, the President nor his staff pre-screened the questions like they do now. I respect President Carter for that.

Last edited by wehotex; 09-24-2010 at 01:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 01:11 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
I hate those who yell when someone is making a speech. Christie lowered his voice as soon as the guy settled down. RESPECTFUL asking is one thing, yelling to shut down a speaker is something else. Good for Christie.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:28 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
"You want to yell? Yell at me, but don't give her a hard time," Christie said into his microphone. But Christie didn't stop there: "It's people who raise their voices and yell and scream like you that are dividing this country," he said. "We're here to bring this country together, not divide it." The audience roared with cheers and applause."

After the despicable display of loud interruptions at town hall meetings all over the country when we were trying to have reasonable discussions about health care reform, all I can say is, he's got a lot of effing nerve!

For crying out loud, in some cases the police had to be called!

YouTube - Loud, Disruptive Health Care Town Halls

YouTube - Health Care Town Halls Get Tense

And these jackasses were encouraging it! But now they want decorum?? SCREW them!

Old 09-24-2010, 01:31 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times
I too long for the days when there were no 'canned' questions and 'canned' responses; no pre-screening of questions. I couldn't care lesshow long President Carter took to formulate an answer...that is typical of thoughtful, introverted people who think before they speak. You couldn't get a snappy sound-bite from him if your life depended on it.

Every single politician on the scene now, from Palin with her dodging questions, refusing to be interviewed by a non-adoring reporter to someone on the other extreme doing the same thing (pre-screening questions, etc.) is on the same level as I'm concerned. Useless.

Just look at the shouting on this forum if one posts a differing opinion - it's an all out attack, insults and a concerted effort to complain to the Mods.

Yes, I miss the days when we could have civil discussion and be civil to one another without insulting others' beliefs.

Christie? Specific to this incident, I say good for him. Very Jersey!

EDIT: Never underestimate the impact of an audience plant. I wouldn't put it past politicians/opposing parties to do that.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:18 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Most of Us in Jersey feel like hes abandoned this state to help out his buddies in the GOP , he hasn't really done anything to show.....

Old 09-24-2010, 02:26 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Most of Us in Jersey feel like hes abandoned this state to help out his buddies in the GOP , he hasn't really done anything to show.....
'Most of us...'? Got something to back that up? My take is that the guy's pretty popular with New Jerseyans (teachers' union excepted.)

Old 09-24-2010, 02:32 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
'Most of us...'? Got something to back that up? My take is that the guy's pretty popular with New Jerseyans (teachers' union excepted.)
The majority of people I know in NJ (my family still lives there, and a lot of my friends) are not fans of Christie. They think he just blows a lot of hot air to get airtime rather then coming up with good solutions for the problems facing the state. His approval ratings according to the local papers, have been right around 42%ish for a while.

Seems like the majority of people who like him are from out of State.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:36 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
As a conservative and if I lived in CA, I'd want this to be about Whitman stonewalling on issues and less about bluster from Christie.

Sounds like she missed an opportunity to shine.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:53 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
As a conservative and if I lived in CA, I'd want this to be about Whitman stonewalling on issues and less about bluster from Christie.

Sounds like she missed an opportunity to shine.
I think you would be the ONLY conservative in CA!

Old 09-24-2010, 02:55 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,503 times
BTW, if you are not using Christie in NJ, can we borrow him in IL? We seem to have bad luck with governors....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies