Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 06:38 PM

19,021 posts, read 14,198,297 times

Advertisements

Why so upset?
You all volunteered, didn't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 06:32 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,345,812 times
Angry How do we change this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Big business has spent years getting their claws into government. Now they have both sides.
No matter who wins..we lose.

Americans need to wake up and realize "their" party does not represent them anymore.
Agree! The Tea Party has helped a lot to see this but who can we vote for when the status quo ditto types are all there is to choose from? The tax payers are still in a big bind for proper representation in Washington!

Old 09-26-2010, 06:47 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Seems we're losing when people can't spell 'lose' correctly.

Old 09-26-2010, 06:30 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,287,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
If you cannot add anything worthwhile to the conversation, by all means make yourself feel better by pointing out spelling and English errors. We all realize that you are attempting to somehow nullify the augment by insinuating the OP must be ignorant for making a spelling error. It is a common cheap trick used far too often on CD.

Old 09-26-2010, 06:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
Wow..thanks for coming into this thread to spell check us.
Can you come back every 2-3 pages and do those posts as well ?

Old 09-27-2010, 01:32 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,625 times
Quote:
If you cannot add anything worthwhile to the conversation, by all means make yourself feel better by pointing out spelling and English errors. We all realize that you are attempting to somehow nullify the augment by insinuating the OP must be ignorant for making a spelling error. It is a common cheap trick used far too often on CD.
The truth that you can't spell is fact, not a cheap trick. I'm proud of the fact that I can spell correctly. You or no one else has any idea of what makes me feel better. I never said or insinuated anything of ignorance. You simply didn't know the difference between lose and loose. And loser and looser. This poster 'insinuated' it too...

//www.city-data.com/forum/16030519-post10.html

...guess I should have used a 'big grin' too, to lighten the blow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Wow..thanks for coming into this thread to spell check us.
Can you come back every 2-3 pages and do those posts as well ?
The title of the thread is misspelled. I didn't have to 'come into' anywhere.

As far as your article of 'Pledge to Destroy America' goes, America is being destroyed by BOTH parties. Stop the sophomoric finger pointing. It's so very obvious that either 'party' has no intentions of good for the America that was. Over 100 years ago. That's sad. Excruciatingly sad.

If your proud of a misspelled thread title, that's great. After all it's no big deal if Americans don't have proper spelling and at least half way decent English. Not sure if anyone realizes how many terrible things have transpired from simple typos and bad English.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:58 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,982 times
Quote:
See, here is the thing; you are going off-topic when you reply to those who have written posts that are off-topic. So you really can't win. And of course this post is just as guilty since it too is off-topic, at least to this point. But do we really have to stay on topic all the time anyway?

If it makes you feel any better, I have trouble with "lose" and "loose" too. I even have to give "loss" a second or two of thought. I have to stop and think about "quiet", "quit" and "quite" also. When I was a kid I had trouble with "which" and "witch". It was a year-around problem, not just on Halloween. Fortunately I've pretty well gotten over that one.

So anyway, just to go at the assigned topic for a moment, I think the troubles we are facing economically cannot be solved by government. In fact, I think who (or is it "whom"?) we elect is really pretty much irrelevant, at least as far as the national economy. My general feeling is: if the guy in office isn't doing as well as I'd like, then I'm voting for someone else. Of course sometimes the new guy can be worse, but that's the chance I'm usually willing to take.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:15 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,082 times
The stranglehold that both parties have on the federal government can't be broken until the congressional redistricting process is taken out of their hands. Here is a New York Times primer on some of the tricks of the redistricting trade...

How to Tilt an Election Through Redistricting - Graphic - NYTimes.com

A new round of redistricting will be coming soon. Guess which two parties will come out almost unscathed.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:17 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,137,563 times
Vote independent or don't vote at all.

Having read the redistricting article from the link in the post above, it forces me to ask if this would be a better solution: What if there were no districts at all? What if our representatives had no territory, but were at-large? So, a voter in Illinois would pick 24 or so representatives on one ballot and the top 24 would win the election representing the state as a whole. It would force people in areas that felt they were underrepresented to run for office and perhaps return the power to the people. Our two-party monster wouldn't be happy, but then why does anyone care what a political party thinks?

Old 09-27-2010, 07:46 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Vote independent or don't vote at all.

Having read the redistricting article from the link in the post above, it forces me to ask if this would be a better solution: What if there were no districts at all? What if our representatives had no territory, but were at-large? So, a voter in Illinois would pick 24 or so representatives on one ballot and the top 24 would win the election representing the state as a whole. It would force people in areas that felt they were underrepresented to run for office and perhaps return the power to the people. Our two-party monster wouldn't be happy, but then why does anyone care what a political party thinks?
It might work if a population was equally distributed over an entire area, but the Chicago area encompasses half the population of Illinois. The rural areas would be under-represented or not represented at all.

In my opinion, redistricting should be taken out of the hands of the legislatures and handled by an independent commission with the legislature only given authority to ratify the commission recommendation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies