Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 02:23 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
I was being sarcastic about the racist part.

But it really did surprise me that cities like Columbus and Augusta, Georgia (I have lived in both) or even Charlotte and all the Texan metropolises were well ahead of other cities when it comes to integration. The lines were quite literally blurred, while in cities like Baltimore, Philly, Detroit, Los Angeles, and Chicago you can put the different races into neat little boxes.
I've lived in Texas and traveled throughout South. Cities are still divided primarily by race and secondarily by income. It's really not that much different in most cities in this country with a few exceptions no matter where you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 02:25 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,750,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
You give me a paper map and the yellow pages of ANY city in the USA and in a few hours, I will tell you with almost exact precision who lives where even if I have never been there before. Did it in college for a paper.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:33 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,750,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Would be interesting to see the crime rates for each area also.

In the research I did, the higher the % of blacks in an area, the higher the crime rate.

Maybe they figured everybody already knows that by now.
That has more to do with the number of poor people in a given area than it does race. It is just that blacks who are poor tend to live around other blacks who are poor whereas blacks, once the gain middle class status, tend to move into mostly white areas. There are some black middle class neighbourhoods and they are quite safe and well kept up from everything I have seen. But because there are so few of them- mainly because most middle class blacks move into white neighbourhoods- there is a perception that black neighbourhoods= crime which is not accurate.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:34 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,361,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
I've lived in Texas and traveled throughout South. Cities are still divided primarily by race and secondarily by income. It's really not that much different in most cities in this country with a few exceptions no matter where you go.

Interesting to note SF was less integrated than SA. I guess they're a sanitary city for illegal immigrants as long as those immigrants don't move in next door.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:31 PM

746 posts, read 1,676,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Does it have little icons for all of the local KKK and Skinhead meetings too?
Yep, right along with the dots for:
crips
bloods
pirus
black p. stones
mara salvatrucha
surenos
mongols
nuestra familia
etc, etc, etc.......
(this list could go on forever)
remember, it ain't just whites

Old 09-27-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
That has more to do with the number of poor people in a given area than it does race. It is just that blacks who are poor tend to live around other blacks who are poor whereas blacks, once the gain middle class status, tend to move into mostly white areas. There are some black middle class neighbourhoods and they are quite safe and well kept up from everything I have seen. But because there are so few of them- mainly because most middle class blacks move into white neighbourhoods- there is a perception that black neighbourhoods= crime which is not accurate.
Sorry, I would respectfully have to disagree with that. Almost everyone and their dog knows that more blacks = more crime, generally.

There are scores of poor white areas that have virtually no crime. The logic that poor = crime is only partly true, i'm afraid.

I don't have stats to back it up right now, but i'll find it. I know i've seen it somewhere.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:52 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,884,238 times
This thread is gonna get real ugly real soon.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:58 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,181,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post
Sorry, I would respectfully have to disagree with that. Almost everyone and their dog knows that more blacks = more crime, generally.

There are scores of poor white areas that have virtually no crime. The logic that poor = crime is only partly true, i'm afraid.

I don't have stats to back it up right now, but i'll find it. I know i've seen it somewhere.
BINGO !

I have researched many small southern cities.

Percent of blacks is most of the time a direct correlation to crime.

I have checked areas that has poverty, and found that if the area is predominately white, the crime rate is much lower.

Whites and blacks react differently to poverty.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Sorry, quoting the splc is a little useless. They skew their numbers to push an agenda.

Not trying to defend those klan a-holes, but the "hate" map is a little biased IMHO.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:25 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,511,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Interesting to note SF was less integrated than SA. I guess they're a sanitary city for illegal immigrants as long as those immigrants don't move in next door.
Not really---the most heavily Hispanic neighborhood in San Francisco--the Mission District--is right next door to the rich and mostly white neighborhood of Noe Valley. San Francisco is very dense yet very small in size so the different ethnic neighborhoods are very close to each other--you can go from a predominantly Asian neighborhood to a Hispanic neighborhood to a white neighborhood to a black neighborhood in a very small area. Although on the west side of town it's mostly white and Asian.

And WTF is a sanitary city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies