Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should inmates get better treatment?
Yes 9 15.52%
No 35 60.34%
Depends on the crime 14 24.14%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 12:43 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
So in my psychology class, we were studying an experiment about prison conducted in Stanford University sometimes in the 1970's. Even though this was not real, I thought that it did give an accurate overview of what goes on in prison in the US. I do think that whether they know it or not, many guards abuse their power and do pretty volatile things to inmates and/or make them do humiliating acts. We read a letter written by a person serving three years in solitary confinement. He said that the guards "stomp him" and "beat him mercilessly, as well as taunt him when he did not respond to orders. For one, he should have not been in solitary confinement for that long, as it along with the beatings would build up more anger inside him. Second, they couldn't find a better way of punishment??

Do you things that guard be harsher towards inmates who have committed more serious crimes?? Do you think guards should treat them more humanly?? Do you like how they treat many inmates in prisons and jails now?? Interested to hear your thoughts.
They already get to work out and have decent meals. What more do they need?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 01:46 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,596,343 times
Anybody could end up in prison, even if innocent. So, prisons, especially in democratic societies, should be humane.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:48 AM

296 posts, read 228,495 times
I am sorry that the "depends on the crime "category got so few votes...

There are rougly 2 kinds of prisoners...

1) The..."fallen ",people who made a mistake,whom we want to return to society.
Those people,the "good",should have better treatment.

2) The "sc*m ",lowlifes who must be "buried alive "in prisons,for if they get paroled they will do crimes again.

Those should have a hard treatment,but not inhuman or sadistic...

Just keep them locked in...

Old 09-26-2010, 09:53 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
I think prison should be harsh enough no one would ever want to commit a crime and end up in prison.
Me too

Old 09-26-2010, 10:14 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
I think prison is one of humanity's worst inventions. What we do to criminals is also a crime, so, in the larger scheme of things, no justice is ever served. It is not up to us to inflict harm on another because of their actions. Oh sure, we feel better for thinking about it, but the result is as much an error as whatever the initial crime was. Of course, someone here will say "Well, have you ever been victimized?" in which case the answer is yes, for minor offenses. I freely admit my emotions and subsequent actions will be hard to suppress if someone killed a member of my family. BUT, I have no right, NONE, to exact revenge without also understanding the consequences I place myself in. I would rather the crime end there then to perpetuate it with my thoughts and actions.

Unless the criminal poses an immediate danger to others, there is no reason to lock them up. The behavior seen on those "Lock Up" television shows is not because these people are inherently bad, it's because they are put in situations of extreme control. Do you know of ANY animal that doesn't resort to crazy actions when it is cornered? Why do we expect anyone, criminal or otherwise, to act in a subordinate manner? It is insane to expect incarcerated people to be or act "normal" when they are in extraordinary circumstances. No man has the right to control another for any reason without consent.

If we refuse to see that we are guilty of committing a crime just as heinous upon the criminal as the criminal committed, we will be stuck in a vicious circle of violence and victimhood. I find it so odd in our majority Christian nation, that we don't adhere to Christian principles in our justice system. But then, look at the history of the church, one of the most sadistic institutions that ever existed. We must be a sick species that is locked into violence that exponentiates itself wherever it occurs.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:50 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
They should get good treatment because you don't want them coming out of prison more evil.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:33 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,500,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Firstly I wouldn't consider a prison inmates word as an unbiased source, when you're in prison you do what you are told and if you don't be prepared to pay the consequences. Anyone inside a jail cell not listening to orders is being aggressive and in most cases is fully prepared to be physically violent hence the reason they get stomped during a cell extraction. The safety of the guards is paramount to the inmates. Having said that I'm sure there is abuse within the system.

3 years in solitary may sound harsh but many of these prisoners are animals perfectly willing to kill people for reason like "they felt like it". The fact is many of them have 0 regard for human life and killing someone is like you or me going down the store for a cup of coffee. They are lost to society and even their freedom within a prison needs to be curtailed for the safety of others.
Solitary is not designed for the long term. People who receive long sentences in solitary confinement will become ever more angry and mentally unstable then when they came into prison.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:54 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,032 times
I knew a guy through work who spent about five years in prison for manslaughter. He was in maximum security for most of that due to the nature of his crime. He said prison was "pretty chill". He said pot is easy to get and even claimed sometimes the guards would imbibe with him and other inmates. He got out on parole after five years, and within about four months got sent back for drinking one night and riding in the car of a friend who got pulled over, he got scared and ran and caused a big search, then they found him on a roof, and he went back to prison to finish his 12 year sentence. I don't think prison was that bad to him. This might just be in Idaho, where the prison was "pretty chill". I've seen the state of older prisons back East and in California on documentaries and they seem pretty bad.

I think violent offenders should spent longer, harder time. And offenders with simple possession charges should not see a day in prison. I don't understand why the guy who gets busted with a gram of heroin should go to prison. They should face the drug court system. They get treatment and after successful completion can get their records wiped clean. Sending them to prison doesn't help, they get out, with little treatment, a felonous crime on their records and are flat broke. Then they are expected to live a successful life. It sets them up to fail again and again and again, until they are so far in the system they can't see the light of day.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:56 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,653,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Problem is, that does not work. Severe penalties don't deter crime. Likelihood of getting caught deters crime.

Using your approach we should just shoot speeders. Then nobody would speed.
It works for wannabes and the such.

For hardened criminals, hell, they will end up dead sooner than later anyhow.

Prison for speeding? You're reaching.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:38 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times
I think part of it depends on the crime.

Minor petty crimes versus a mass murderer who slaughtered 18 people.....

The mass murderer should be put in Solitary Confinement for life with few privilages .

If a battered women who was beaten and killed her husband in self defense should not be punished as severely and should not have everything human comfort and right taken from her.

Every crime has its degree of severity.

Henious crimes like child molesters should be shot within 24 hours to save the Prison system. Rapists the same. No Mercy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies