Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 02:07 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,832,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloedog View Post
Virginia's new $3,550 speeding ticket

Traffic offenders face whopping additional fees that live on long after they've paid their fines. It's part of a growing 'driver responsibility' trend that targets chronic offenders.

By MSN Money staff and wires

Traffic patrols have long been known as roving tax collectors. But in Virginia, they really are collecting taxes.

Starting July 1, an array of traffic offenses, from expired licenses to speeding, come with a "civil remedial fee" attached. That means a motorist convicted of reckless driving (75 mph in a 55 zone would qualify) faces not only a fine of up to $2,500 and a year in jail, but a non-negotiable $350-a-year tax for three years. The law forbids judges from waiving or reducing the fee.

Many fees dwarf the fines. A driver who disobeys an officer's order to pull into a weigh station would be fined $35 and required to pay a $61 court processing fee. But the civil remedial fee would be $900 over three years.

Drunken driving? A fee of $1,000 a year for three years, plus fines and court costs. No insurance? That's $300 a year for three years, plus fines.

It doesn't stop there. Anyone unlucky enough to have 8 points or more on his license (reckless driving is good for 6 by itself) would pay an additional $100, plus $75 for any points over 8, up to $700 a year. (For a complete list of fee-carrying offenses, see this .pdf file.)

Such "driver responsibility programs" have become increasingly common for two reasons: Many states find that serial offenders make up the bulk of their cases, and they simply need the money. In fact, Virginia added a fee rather than increase fines because it wanted the money to improve its roads, and revenue from fines must go to public schools. The fees are expected to raise $200 million a year.

Virginia's new $3,550 speeding ticket - MSN Money (broken link)

Policing the Law abiding majority is all this is. Raise the fines on the ones WE know will pay up, the Law Abiding everyday citizen. I am so sick of Police harassing law abiding citizens. Cities and towns trying to figure out NEW ways of collecting MORE tax money. The politicians do such a lousy job of handling the taxes they collect now, they have to figure out NEW ways of collecting more money to hide the fact that they waist the majority of what they collect to begin with. I bet most states follow suite within 5 years. How in the hell can the citizens of Virginia just bend over and take it like this, I find it amazing that people continuously let government just take more and more of their money without even an ounce of struggle.
Are you surprised?? The DEMOCRATS took over the state of Virginia in 2006... so they are creating a police state and a way to rip off drivers any way they can. They are trying to create a "backdoor income tax". In FL, the cheapest speeding ticket you can get is $266 for going 6MPH over the speed limit.

Now what is so scary about this is that a 20MPH over the speed limit is considered "Reckless Driving", which in most states you have to be going 30MPH over the limit.

I hate these Nazi-style politicians who want to get the government involved in everything. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR ............ Vote Small Government, vote GOP in 2008!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 02:37 PM

626 posts, read 993,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
In FL, the cheapest speeding ticket you can get is $266 for going 6MPH over the speed limit.
Completely untrue. I got a speeding ticket just over a year ago, driving 65 mph in a 50 mph zone. My ticket was nowhere close to $266 (it was ~$90).

Old 07-02-2007, 02:45 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
Are you surprised?? The DEMOCRATS took over the state of Virginia in 2006... so they are creating a police state and a way to rip off drivers any way they can. They are trying to create a "backdoor income tax". In FL, the cheapest speeding ticket you can get is $266 for going 6MPH over the speed limit.

Now what is so scary about this is that a 20MPH over the speed limit is considered "Reckless Driving", which in most states you have to be going 30MPH over the limit.

I hate these Nazi-style politicians who want to get the government involved in everything. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR ............ Vote Small Government, vote GOP in 2008!!
Your statement about cheapest speeding tickets in Florida is not true...I have gotten three since I moved here, all have been cheaper then that...AND when I came here on vacation, I got a ticket for going 85 in a 55 and it was cheaper then that. None of them were over $150.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:40 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
I can't blame this on either party. The disgust from me is that the states continue to try and take something which is supposed to be safety enforcement oriented and turn it into a revenue generating activity. I find it absolutely disgusting the way governments are getting more punitive in fining their citizens for infractions. And I despise their partners, like MADD, who also use this as a revenue source to help fund their "education", and continuing employment.

Don't even start down the path of labeling me as supporting drunk drivers or speeders, I haven't had a moving violation ticket in over 25 years and I barely drink at all (perhaps 20-30 drinks a full year). But arbitrary lowering of the blood alcohol for qualifying as a drunk driver is a disgrace, on both political parties, and the increasing of fines is a derivative of this mindset.

And in my view, it all started with the inappropriate criminalization of the decision not to use a seat belt. What a stupid slope, now going down this path. Next up, after the horrendous treatment of smokers (and no, I don't smoke either (and never have)), they will start to weigh you and fine you for being overweight when you get your driver license renewals.

Anything for revenue!!!

Old 07-02-2007, 05:34 PM

452 posts, read 1,132,411 times
Florida may not have high speeding fines, but they are revenue whores. I drove to Miami 2 weeks ago and looked up the directions on Google/Map Quest/Rand McNally and all of them had me using the toll ***** turnpike. I thought these sites looked for the shortest distance and times for a trip...NOPE. That turnpike is about a boring damn drive. On my way back I took 95 to Jacksonville hit 10 west and then hit 75 north, shorter distance and time compared to what the three sites mentioned earlier said. By the way I was driving from Atlanta. I am assuming the state of Florida has probably encouraged these sites to send travelers to the toll ***** turnpike. I admit that I should have done my homework a little bit better, but I could not have known I was going to spend almost 20 dollars in tolls. I didn’t pay one toll on the way home.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:39 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,290,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
Anyone notice that it will now pay to hire a lawyer to fight your ticket? Nice way of the lawyers to generate more business for themselves.

You are so correct. TheAgitator.com: The David Albo Employment Act: Comments (http://www.theagitator.com/archives/027900.php#027900 - broken link)

Old 07-02-2007, 06:38 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,664 times
The Bu$h USA is a police state. Why is anyone surprised
they are capitalising on it ?
In Rutland Vt., the Feds gave Rutland 'homeland security' funds and
demanded they spend them....So Rutland started a Sheriffs Dept
and staffed it with angry, violent bullies who suffer from
exagerated Mall Security Guard Syndrome to hide in used car
parking lots and peoples driveways and harrass useful, productive
people and strongarm money from them at thier discretion and whenever
possible. Rutland already has a police department so they pay for a redundant, overbearing,
unecassary authoritarian agency to take money using threats, intimidation and force.
Why is this necassary ?? Especially in a state like Vt.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:26 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,832,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
Completely untrue. I got a speeding ticket just over a year ago, driving 65 mph in a 50 mph zone. My ticket was nowhere close to $266 (it was ~$90).
Do I need to scan the citation and post it here??

Chill out, dude. Oh and giving me a NEGATIVE POINT BECAUSE YOU THINK I AM WRONG IS NOT ALLOWED.

YOU ARE LUCKY I AM NOT LIKE YOU AND DID NOT GIVE YOU A NEGATIVE BACK. I WILL HAVE A MODERATOR LOOK INTO IT.

Geeeezzzzzzz....

Old 07-02-2007, 10:34 PM

20,343 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
Was this sarcasm?
yup. I should have added the appropriate face.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:19 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,901,161 times
Was Virginia as big of a mess under Governor Gilmore? It seems like all the problems started under his successor. Damn Democrats messed up most of the Midwestern and Northeastern states .................. YOU'RE NEXT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies