Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 08:30 AM

452 posts, read 1,132,062 times

Advertisements

Virginia's new $3,550 speeding ticket

Traffic offenders face whopping additional fees that live on long after they've paid their fines. It's part of a growing 'driver responsibility' trend that targets chronic offenders.

By MSN Money staff and wires

Traffic patrols have long been known as roving tax collectors. But in Virginia, they really are collecting taxes.

Starting July 1, an array of traffic offenses, from expired licenses to speeding, come with a "civil remedial fee" attached. That means a motorist convicted of reckless driving (75 mph in a 55 zone would qualify) faces not only a fine of up to $2,500 and a year in jail, but a non-negotiable $350-a-year tax for three years. The law forbids judges from waiving or reducing the fee.

Virginia's new $3,550 speeding ticket - MSN Money (broken link)

[CUT - DO NOT REPOST COPYRIGHTED ARTICLES!]

Last edited by Administrator; 07-03-2007 at 04:23 AM.. Reason: [CUT - DO NOT REPOST COPYRIGHTED ARTICLES!]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 08:34 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,295,611 times
Well I like the part about the drunk drivers...

If I remember correctly aren't radar detectors illegal in Virginia? Seems like I had to hide mine when I drove through a few years back.

Thats pretty hard core.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:18 AM

1,174 posts, read 5,901,566 times
Anyone notice that it will now pay to hire a lawyer to fight your ticket? Nice way of the lawyers to generate more business for themselves.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:05 PM

793 posts, read 3,121,504 times
No need for this...if these cash-starved states, as well as towns need more revenue at all costs, why don't the cops start hanging out more in some of the shopping plazas across the country? There you have lazy droids with obvious disposable income in tow while walking out w/ junk at places like Wal-Mart, constantly parking in handicapped spots, fire zones, and "picking up" spouses in no-parking and fire zones 15 minutes after drop-off. I guarantee every police department in America would have a field day. As for the troopers, start going under cover a bit more and you will collect tailgaters and zombies parked out in the left lane who aren't passing faster than a squirrel can collect acorns on a spring day.
Bingo: there is your revenue you sought and quite justifiable I might add.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:15 PM

626 posts, read 992,691 times
How about spending less. I know that's a crazy idea. Increasing police power is a bad idea. I'm glad I don't live in Virginia (or any of the other states mentioned in the article), not that I'm a bad driver. I've gotten 1 speeding ticket in the last 10 years.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:34 PM

793 posts, read 3,121,504 times
Spend less? Yes that is crazy! I pretty much had given up that train of thought and didn't bother to propse that again on this thread even despite the irrefutable proof of the wasted billions on both federal and state levels annually. Sort of like those tax cuts we can't afford....or yet another program we need and has to be paid with increased taxes- forget the idea of ever suggesting we cut spending! GASP! I'm sure we can find a few million here, a few million there that Virginia throws around like candy. Off the top of my head, wasn't there some taxpayer funded mandate recently to provide sheltered bus stops in Virginia for illegal aliens waiting to catch subsidized bussing to their places of employment?

Old 07-02-2007, 12:38 PM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
How about spending less. I know that's a crazy idea. .
Crazy? Try selfish heartless. You act like the money you earn is yours.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:06 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,202,439 times
This is nutty. I was going through this state about a year ago and the truck infront of me was going into and out of my lane and driving in a way that scared me, so I quickly got infront of them so I wouldn't have to deal with it. This landed me a 175 dollar ticket for going 4 miles over as I was passing him. I didn't bother explaining to the cop that I was scared to stay by him and pass by more slowly, I knew it prob wouldn't do any good. These ticket are getting asinine.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:17 PM

626 posts, read 992,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Crazy? Try selfish heartless. You act like the money you earn is yours.
Was this sarcasm?

Old 07-02-2007, 01:27 PM

572 posts, read 2,088,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
This is nutty. I was going through this state about a year ago and the truck infront of me was going into and out of my lane and driving in a way that scared me, so I quickly got infront of them so I wouldn't have to deal with it. This landed me a 175 dollar ticket for going 4 miles over as I was passing him. I didn't bother explaining to the cop that I was scared to stay by him and pass by more slowly, I knew it prob wouldn't do any good. These ticket are getting asinine.
The truckers are worse than anyone on I-95.

Ridiculous. While I agree with the drunk driving punishment, I'm still glad I live in a more moderate than conservative area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies