Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 09:36 AM

294 posts, read 351,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Tax the churches!
I was hoping to inspire in the opposite direction: Abolish the IRS!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 09:40 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Oh yeah, and what law is that?

The answer is: none. There is no law that "gives" churches tax free status.

There is a law that grants tax free status to eligible groups, and it says nothing about churches or religion. Please try and follow along in the thread with the adults.

Laws or legislation? What is it?

Revenue Ruling 2007-41,

churches can engage in a limited amount of lobbying (including ballot measures) and advocate for or against issues that are in the political arena. The IRS also has provided guidance regarding the difference between advocating for a candidate and advocating for legislation.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:56 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
So now you're going with the strategy of "Try and confuse them with high volume of links and 10-page PDF legal documents."

I say this because you've provided inadequate analysis in your own words, what these documents actually mean.

Only, I'm not confused, I can see clearly that the documents you've posted support what I've said on this thread.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
If the churches want to play in the political realm then let the government play in the religious realm. If the church picks politicians then the politicians can pick chureces. Wouldn't that be just peachy?

Old 09-27-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
So now you're going with the strategy of "Try and confuse them with high volume of links and 10-page PDF legal documents."

I say this because you've provided inadequate analysis in your own words, what these documents actually mean.

Only, I'm not confused, I can see clearly that the documents you've posted support what I've said on this thread.

That's your excuse for having to eat crow? My own words don't mean jack, when interpretation is needed. I let the document speak for themselves, instead of some Progressive skewed and twisted own words. We have been there and done that. Now tell the truth!

Old 09-27-2010, 10:07 AM

294 posts, read 351,403 times
Quote:

They highlighted, from what I saw. I don't appreciate a "link" response either, but there was an effort to illustrate the bullet points. Why not tear down the bullet points or links and extract your position from them? If a counterpoint isn't allowed, wouldn't this be better placed in a "blog"?

Old 09-27-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If the churches want to play in the political realm then let the government play in the religious realm. If the church picks politicians then the politicians can pick chureces. Wouldn't that be just peachy?

Chuches don't pick candidates, they pick policies and legislation. Are you intentionally confusing the two?

Old 09-27-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikensquire View Post
They highlighted, from what I saw. I don't appreciate a "link" response either, but there was an effort to illustrate the bullet points. Why not tear down the bullet points or links and extract your position from them? If a counterpoint isn't allowed, wouldn't this be better placed in a "blog"?

That is beyond their potential. They would have to admit they were wrong. Ain't gonna happen! They'll just take one for the team.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:14 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikensquire View Post

what's to tear down? he posted a bunch of links that support my past comments, and contradict what he's been saying all along.

then he says he doesn't NEED to provide any analysis in his own words, which tells me he probably didn't read the documents, and doesn't even understand what they say. (which is consistent with the fact that they contradict his past statements)

rebutting such a confused, emotional, contradictory position is a waste of time.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:14 AM

To keep government out of religion, not to keep religion out of the government. The preamble to the Constitution, reads like a religious verse. How can that be, if what your own version of how it is, doesn't recognize the entire Constitution, including the preamble?

Do some research as to why the phrase "separation of church & State" came to being. Only then will you understand what it really meant. Not some Progressive Era's propaganda to get god out of peoples life, so government could replace it, as the creator of all things American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies