Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 12:55 PM

2,564 posts, read 1,595,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Hey here's a video that has nothing whatsoever to do with the topic since I have nothing of substance to say

Dylan Brody: The Tea Party: Poor, Deluded Koch Suckers

"...The Kochs see the poor as stupid people to be used as fodder in their own crusade for increased profits...."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 01:28 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Liberals, why do you give George Soros a free pass but attack the Koch brothers for doing the same exact things? Is it simple hypocrisy or do you genuinely not know where the money to fund huge liberal organizations comes from?
Michael Vachon, [Soros's] spokesman, argued that Soros’s giving is transparent, and that “none of [Soros's] contributions are in the service of his own economic interests.” The Kochs have given millions of dollars to nonprofit groups that criticize environmental regulation and support lower taxes for industry. Gus diZerega, the former friend, suggested that the Kochs’ youthful idealism about libertarianism had largely devolved into a rationale for corporate self-interest. He said of Charles, “Perhaps he has confused making money with freedom.”

Some critics have suggested that the Kochs’ approach has subverted the purpose of tax-exempt giving. By law, charitable foundations must conduct exclusively nonpartisan activities that promote the public welfare. A 2004 report by the National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy, a watchdog group, described the Kochs’ foundations as being self-serving, concluding, “These foundations give money to nonprofit organizations that do research and advocacy on issues that impact the profit margin of Koch Industries.”
The billionaire Koch brothers’ war against Obama : The New Yorker

^ This article is hugely informative, I recommend everyone defending the Kochs and corporate involvement with legislation read it.

(Haha -- This is who you're defending, Tea Partists! These are your owners!:

"Another former Koch adviser said, 'They’re smart. This right-wing, redneck stuff works for them. They see this as a way to get things done without getting dirty themselves.'")

Old 09-27-2010, 01:38 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Michael Vachon, [Soros's] spokesman, argued that Soros’s giving is transparent, and that “none of [Soros's] contributions are in the service of his own economic interests.” The Kochs have given millions of dollars to nonprofit groups that criticize environmental regulation and support lower taxes for industry. Gus diZerega, the former friend, suggested that the Kochs’ youthful idealism about libertarianism had largely devolved into a rationale for corporate self-interest. He said of Charles, “Perhaps he has confused making money with freedom.”

Some critics have suggested that the Kochs’ approach has subverted the purpose of tax-exempt giving. By law, charitable foundations must conduct exclusively nonpartisan activities that promote the public welfare. A 2004 report by the National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy, a watchdog group, described the Kochs’ foundations as being self-serving, concluding, “These foundations give money to nonprofit organizations that do research and advocacy on issues that impact the profit margin of Koch Industries.”

^ This article is hugely informative, I recommend everyone defending the Kochs and corporate involvement with legislation read it.

"Another former Koch adviser said, 'They’re smart. This right-wing, redneck stuff works for them. They see this as a way to get things done without getting dirty themselves.'")
And that is what makes this whole thing ludicrous. Why not just call themselves libertarians and be done with it?

Old 09-27-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
And that is what makes this whole thing ludicrous. Why not just call themselves libertarians and be done with it?
Or Plutonomists....my coworker mentioned to me about this now infamous leaked Citigroup memo (first paragraph says it all):

Citigroup Oct 16, 2005 Plutonomy Report Part 1

Old 09-27-2010, 02:20 PM

And are we paying attention to that? Hell noooooooo. It is far more important to sling the word "liberal" around.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:23 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post

Most of that artcle came from information provided by George Soros's Center for American Progress which is fighting the Koch foundation's Americans for Prosperity. No liberal bias or agenda there.

Progressives against Prosperity....pretty much says it all.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Most of that artcle came from information provided by George Soros's Center for American Progress which is fighting the Koch foundation's Americans for Prosperity. No liberal bias or agenda there.

Progressives against Prosperity....pretty much says it all.
And Koch issues are your issues?

Old 09-27-2010, 02:27 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
And are we paying attention to that? Hell noooooooo. It is far more important to sling the word "liberal" around.
I'm personally not paying attention to what a bunch of ignorant hypocrites tell me, I could watch TV if I wanted that all day.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:29 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
And Koch issues are your issues?
The Koch brothers are conservatives, therefore their issues are everyone's issues whether they're smart enough to realize it or not. Soros is a smart man, it's too bad he can't see he's wasting the money he spends on liberal causes. I encourage him to keep wasting that money though.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I'm personally not paying attention to what a bunch of ignorant hypocrites tell me, I could watch TV if I wanted that all day.
Is that all you got?

Pack a lunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies